Samsung Galaxy S3 - Error "HARDWARE ID MISSING" when plugging phone into computer.
Simple Fix for Windows 7, 64-bit OS:
1. Use Control Panel to Uninstall all previous Samsung USB Drivers.
2. Download Samsung USB Driver v22.214.171.124
3. Reboot computer.
4. Disconnect computer from the Internet. *This is very important!*
5. With the phone disconnected, install Samsung USB Driver v126.96.36.199
6. Connect the phone to the computer and let Windows install the drivers.
7. Reestablish the Internet connection.
This worked flawlessly for me on the first try.
***The KEY here is to disconnect from the Internet where indicated, thus forcing Windows to install the older, Samsung USB Driver v188.8.131.52
***Following EVERY Kies update, DISCONNECT the computer from the Internet before plugging in the phone for the first time, or you will have to repeat these steps!
Have a Nice Day!