• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Hardware Mods (touchstone charging, etc)

Leif

Lurker
Aug 17, 2010
Moderators - what about adding a hardware mod subforum?

So I'm posting this here because, as far as I can tell, there isn't any other forum on the interwebs that covers it - might as well direct that traffic here.

If you, like me, are a bit stymied at Samsung's decision to put the charging port at the top of the phone (thereby eliminating any possibility of a useful dock), you might have started thinking "hmm... what about inductive charging?"
After all, you can pick up a Pre touchstone kit for like $30 on Amazon, and there have been several successful transplants of the receiver coil into other phones, like the EVO 4G and HD2. So far no Vibrants.

But there are some factors that seem to make this a good recipient:
Phone is light! - The magnets should have no trouble securing the phone to touchstone.
Plastic backplate - Not electrically conductive... perfect for inductive charging!
Flat surface - No complex geometries to fight with.
Spare backplate included! - That's two chances to screw it up!
Phillips screws! - Seriously, this is just begging to be taken apart (and no "void if removed stickers!).

So if you're still with me, here are some concerns I have before attempting this myself. Maybe you have some insight.

-I'd really rather not do any soldering if I can avoid it. It may be possible to tap right into the battery contacts - anyone know if the touchstone has a full charge cutoff circuit?
-The back plate sits pretty close on my unit; a spare mSD card fits, but bulges the case slightly. Might not be enough room for the charging coil, etc. - Any ideas?

Thanks in advance - I hope to do this mod in the next few weeks, and I'll post a full walkthrough.

-Leif

Like the Samsung one?? Sorry but that has "afterthought" written all over it. Don't get me wrong, it's decent looking, but come on - landscape only... with no landscape home screen?! That's just poor planning.

On the other hand, the ability to close the USB door (even cover it completely w/ a case) shows incredible foresight, if there had been a plan for inductive charging.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know of a 90 degree micro usb power. I like to keep my phone charging while i have it mounted landscape in my car. the long, heavy straight power adapter , im sure, but have no real proof, puts some torque on the socket leading to eventual wear and tear. A cable that would hang straight down, imo, would be less damaging.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know of a 90 degree micro usb power. I like to keep my phone charging while i have it mounted landscape in my car. the long, heavy straight power adapter , im sure, but have no real proof, puts some torque on the socket leading to eventual wear and tear. A cable that would hang straight down, imo, would be less damaging.

Honestly, I don't worry about it to much. The spec for micro-USB is supposed to have been designed to account for extra strain etc.. I've owned several devices now with the connection and have never had one fail from use/abuse cable wise.

Upvote 0
Amazon.com: Motorola Micro USB SKN6258 Adapter for RAZR2 V8 Q9m V9: Cell Phones & Service
If you search for them you might miss em because the gallery picture shows a straight end.
I picked up a couple of these, though I only paid a penny each (I know - right?).
Still, 5 bucks shipped is not bad!

Update on the induction charging... there is none yet. I had a little boot loop issue that just resolved, gonna pull out the screwdrivers this weekend.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones