• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root harmonia vs mobster

imabitfighty

Sep 16, 2012
Highland Park
so heres what I've done.

1. stock rom (new phone)
2. root, unlock bootloader, flash rooted stock rom.
3. S-off, flash evo 3D radios and PRL, all successfully.
4. install Mobster rom, used it for 2 weeks, worked FINE.

5., yesterday, installed 3.16 Harmonia, triple data, cache, and dalvik wipe, im not new to flashing roms.

6. today, all outgoing texts have radio error, have to reboot to recieve a flood of incoming texts. no calls working. signal fluctuating alot. worse battery life than mobster. AND the weirdest part, the market shows almost EVERY app as incompatible with my device... Only like 10 apps show in the browse view, and when I search for an app, even one I previously installed, it says incompatible.

what did I do wrong? are these common problems with harmonia??? i thought this was supposed to be a 100% stock working experience with root and no bloat.

I have extremely slow internet, can someone point me to a rom that just works? since these are 400+ megabyte downloads I cant spend all day testing all the roms I'd never be able to download them all in one day... took me all of yesterday to download harmonia anyways.

mobster was cool but I think I can get into a Sense rom, its smooth and flashy and I'm not hating it as much as I did when i got the phone.

need 4g and 3d and mms working

I've tested Harmonia for a bit and it certainly does not normally have those issues you described. Now, as far as the radio interference issue, that will occur on every rom I believe until you go over to the 'Turn your Evo V into an Evo 3D' thread and flash the necessary radio over there and such to fix that issue permanently which will keep it from occuring on any rom.

As far as the Google play issue, i've never had that happen before. Hopefully someone else can give some insight into that issue. The only thing I could think of is a bad download possibly and you should check the md5 of your install.

EDIT: I saw that you said you had already flashed that radio, so that is strange. Again hopefully someone with more experience with this phone in general can help you. Did you properly perform a factory reset in the recovery options? Also, what recovery are you using?

Upvote 0
I really am not trying to thread jack, but I was on a flashing binge and at some point I think I have reverted to a different radio than the one from the 'change to an evo 3d' thread.
Is that even possible? I made sure I deleted the .zip from my sdcard and I verified that the radio was the same as the thread when all was said and done. But I can't check if it's the same since Leslie Anne has updated the thread with a different radio.

The reason for bringing this up is if it's possible maybe the same thing happened to the OP

Upvote 0
I really am not trying to thread jack, but I was on a flashing binge and at some point I think I have reverted to a different radio than the one from the 'change to an evo 3d' thread.
Is that even possible? I made sure I deleted the .zip from my sdcard and I verified that the radio was the same as the thread when all was said and done. But I can't check if it's the same since Leslie Anne has updated the thread with a different radio.

The reason for bringing this up is if it's possible maybe the same thing happened to the OP

I guess the bigger question you and me are trying ask is this

"Do any ROMS flash a new radio over any previously installed radios? or do all custom ROMs never touch the radio section of the firmware while installing?, and if they do flash a radio, which roms do?"

Upvote 0
I guess the bigger question you and me are trying ask is this

"Do any ROMS flash a new radio over any previously installed radios? or do all custom ROMs never touch the radio section of the firmware while installing?, and if they do flash a radio, which roms do?"

Most Roms only change the System and Boot Partitons and add apps to Data

- As far as i know i haven't seen any Evo V Roms that change the Radio

Upvote 0
so i never got a good reccommendation for a rom.

two days after i made this thread I downloaded and installed the latest midnight.

been running it until now

its crap.

battery use screen shows "screen" as being the biggest battery drain even when brightness is on low.

I cannot leave it unplugged overnight.

if i leave it at 100% and not plugged in, ill wake up 8 hours later and it will be at 45%

no 4g, no 3g, no wifi, its supposed to be sleeping.

also the weather service keeps force closing.

so can i finally get a recommendation for a good rom? my thread seemed to veer off into radios

Upvote 0
i've used all 3 and i liked mobster best, but its really personal preference i think

sadly I think you have a point.

I used to be all for stock android but ive really grown to like how smooth sense is and the little animations that happen everywhere

i love the weather lockscreen where it flies in when you turn on the screen. that was fun to show friends who had an iphone :p

Upvote 0
Most Roms only change the System and Boot Partitons and add apps to Data

- As far as i know i haven't seen any Evo V Roms that change the Radio

Does this mean that theoretically, you can only wipe System and Boot when flashing a new rom, and your user apps will be preserved?

I'm gonna have to try that next time a CM10 update comes out.

Upvote 0

two days after i made this thread I downloaded and installed the latest midnight.

its crap.

battery use screen shows "screen" as being the biggest battery drain even when brightness is on low.

if i leave it at 100% and not plugged in, ill wake up 8 hours later and it will be at 45%

so can i finally get a recommendation for a good rom? my thread seemed to veer off into radios

You must be doing something wrong then. I run Midnight, as do many others here and it is awesome. I don't have any of those problems you mentioned.

Upvote 0

its crap.

midnight as in midnight rom?
that's the one I've been using for the past few weeks and I love it! If you're having battery issues make sure to check your clock settings, also maybe try flashing the boot.img through CMD/fastboot to get the radios and stuff working (even though you may have s-off).... hope this helps because I personally think midnight is the best of the 3.

Upvote 0
I have used both ROMs. I found Mobster's to have better battery life than Harmonia.

I don't use the Sense Launcher Rosie. I have used Go, Apex, and now Nova on both.

I had a few minor problems on Mobsters ROM, but everything works on Harmonia.
Once you customize your phone, they are not all that different. So I am sticking with the more stable Harmonia.

I will be interested in CM10, when it is ready. I really do not use Sense, and believe I could live without it. What I want is better battery life, and the most efficient gui I can configure.

Upvote 0

its crap.

I want to apologize, I feel like I steered the thread to radios.

As for roms my daily driver has been midnight rom. After about 18 hours of use I'm at 38% battery. I feel like you've got a rogue app eating your battery.

Upvote 0

As for roms my daily driver has been midnight rom. After about 18 hours of use I'm at 38% battery. I feel like you've got a rogue app eating your battery.

That's awesome battery life. I wonder if I and having the same problem. I'm at 63% after five hours and I really haven't even done anything in my phone. How would I find what's draining my battery?

Upvote 0

if it was a rogue app I'd know.

If i know i wont be using my phone overnight I open the recent apps thing and close everything before i turn off the radios. its the rom

also, im BACK on mobster and now IT isnt working properly either..

radio errors all over the place. 10 missed calls today. i only got the voicemails and had to call them back.

oh and for some reason now everytime I look at the phone the home button lights are on. screen on, sure thats normal. but when the screen turns off they stay on. I cannot get them to turn off unless I yank the battery.

I'm backing up whatever SMS messages I was able to receive today. (two...) and getting ready to flash another rom.

and just so no one thinks I'm doin this wrong, I do data and cache wipe three times, and dalvik wipe 3 times. I never leave anything un-wiped (LOL) because I want the rom flash to be totally fresh. Even my SD-card gets wiped and formatted inside the new rom.

now Im wary of harmonia, mobster, and midnight because none have worked.

im almost starting to think its a hardware problem.

on top of that, the screen protectors I ordered for a EVO 3D came in today, after having waited 4 weeks, and they are CLEARLY for another phone. way too wide and not tall enough and shaped like they have holes for camera and other sensors. so I have to cut it to fit and live with improper fitting screens.

I used to be the biggest virgin mobile lover but I'm almost ready to trash this and go to T-mobile no matter the cost if it gets me good service again. my business is starting to take off and I might be able to afford a higher quality mobile service now.

Upvote 0
i went back to harmonia last night. did full wipe. so far its working fine, but i AM starting to think I have some kind of hardware problem.

Harmonia 3 and Mobster are two of the more stable roms here (I run H3 personally), and it seems that you have done everything correctly. I want to ask, what recovery are you using to wipe? Because Nothing should be "wrong" with the rom (unless you had a bad download (check md5) or a bad flash (reflash)). I'm beginning to think that you may want to exchange the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones