• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has 4.3 Update Enabled App Transfer to External SD?

4.3 update on my unrooted O2 S3 seems to have gone OK. However, whilst browsing around Android AppMgr, I noticed that MovetoSDCard was enabled for some apps. I didn't remember this being enabled with ICS so I tried using it - the process seemed to complete OK and offers the option of moving the app back to the device or running 'as is'. The app seems to run OK and, as would be expected, an android-secure directory is created on the external SD card. However, because I haven't rooted my S3, I can't really tell if the app has actually been transferred cos ES FileExplorer etc can't see it and therefore can't show me changes in SD storage capacity.

So, can someone clarify whether we can now really transfer suitable apps to an external SD or do they still transfer to the 'emulated SD' and the fact that I'm getting an android-secure directory on my external SD is just an 'interesting' artefact?

Many thanks

4.3 update on my unrooted O2 S3 seems to have gone OK. However, whilst browsing around Android AppMgr, I noticed that MovetoSDCard was enabled for some apps. I didn't remember this being enabled with ICS so I tried using it - the process seemed to complete OK and offers the option of moving the app back to the device or running 'as is'. The app seems to run OK and, as would be expected, an android-secure directory is created on the external SD card. However, because I haven't rooted my S3, I can't really tell if the app has actually been transferred cos ES FileExplorer etc can't see it and therefore can't show me changes in SD storage capacity.

So, can someone clarify whether we can now really transfer suitable apps to an external SD or do they still transfer to the 'emulated SD' and the fact that I'm getting an android-secure directory on my external SD is just an 'interesting' artefact?

Many thanks

I'm running the 4.3 CM that was posted on December 2nd, on a rooted Galaxy S3. I have used app manager to move some apps to SD and also tried using Link2SD to do the same. I pulled the external SD card and put it in a card reader and none of the moved apps showed up there. Not sure why this was changed as my old rooted Galaxy S2 would allow moves to the ext. SD???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones