• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Has anybody rooted using this tool?

Couple of quick questions - (sorry about all the questions!)

Is doing a backup just a failsafe incase something happens, or does flashing this kernel wipe anything?

Can I download and use the kernel without doing any of the undervolted stuff for now, and maybe try that in the near future? Is it possible to just download the 7.3-CFS-MIUI and run that?

Upvote 0
Don't worry about the questions, that's what we're here for! :)

The kernel just controls some of the basic hardware functions of the phone. It's sort of like the middle man between the H/W and Android. As a result, the backup is just a failsafe, the kernel won't wipe anything.

When I first flashed 7.3, I didn't realise you had to do any file swapping etc (it wasn't mentioned in the thread) and as a consequence, my battery was dead in about 10 hours. I restored the backup I'd made before I flashed and it was fine. I posted in his thread and that's when I found out that you needed to mess about a bit to get it work properly. Incidentally, I flashed the file I attached last night and the battery issues are gone (whilst sleeping, I'd a 5% loss in 8.5 hours).

Just flashing the kernel will be fine. If the undervolt stuff seems a little daunting, I'm positive you'll see enough of an improvement with his standard settings.

Upvote 0
Ok great, i'll definitely give it a shot when I get home :)

Although it's not a thread on CM, some people do seem to be experiencing the same issue of the computer not detecting their phones. The link below is from the LeeDroid thread, however someone here also mentions that flashing the Lordmod kernel should fix the issue
[ROM]LeeDrOiD HD V4.0.0 SE-3.0 BETA [KERNEL]V3.2.1 17th Sept| HTC GB | OTA | CRT TV - Page 2087 - xda-developers

Edit: For some strange reason, I did a ROM backup, rebooted and now the connection between phone and computer works :) So i'll download the kernel now and have a play later on

Upvote 0
Try installing HTC Sync and the Android SDK if both aren't already installed?

Hey thanks for your help. Just to let you know I despaired of windows and ran ubuntu off CD (Download | Ubuntu) and after some fumbling around in terminal was able to flash my phone using this tool. Big thanks to the guys who wrote it.

Now running CM7 and my its like having a whole new, mega fast phone. Amazing!
Although I do miss the sense goodies so might end up flashing to a sense 3 rom. Any particular recommendations?

Upvote 0
Glad you're liking CM7 - great, isn't it?!?!

Although I do miss the sense goodies so might end up flashing to a sense 3 rom. Any particular recommendations?

I don't run Sense ROM's (haven't really missed Sense too much myself), but many have said that LeeDroid is good (you can flash Sense 3 on that) or there are plenty of others (check this list out too - andrdcndy: HTC Desire HD Custom ROM List)

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
Hi, i already done all the prerequisites stuff:-

• Make sure HTC USB Drivers for Android are installed (included in the Hack Kit @ tools/windrivers)
  • Disable all malware detection, including Windows Defender
  • Uninstall HTC Sync
  • Uninstall Droid Explorer
  • Uninstall iTunes or stop service
  • Uninstall ALL other phone pda or tablet software
but yet when i right click to run hack-ace.cmd, it just blink for like 1 sec then turn off itself. I can't really open it!!! Can anyone help me out? i not even started yet!!!

i use command prompt to run hack-ace.cmd and it shows this :

Ace advanced hack kit

killing htc sync process if it exists...
'tasklist' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Upvote 0
Hi, i already done all the prerequisites stuff:-

• Make sure HTC USB Drivers for Android are installed (included in the Hack Kit @ tools/windrivers)
  • Disable all malware detection, including Windows Defender
  • Uninstall HTC Sync
  • Uninstall Droid Explorer
  • Uninstall iTunes or stop service
  • Uninstall ALL other phone pda or tablet software
but yet when i right click to run hack-ace.cmd, it just blink for like 1 sec then turn off itself. I can't really open it!!! Can anyone help me out? i not even started yet!!!

i use command prompt to run hack-ace.cmd and it shows this :

Ace advanced hack kit

killing htc sync process if it exists...
'tasklist' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Basically, if tasklist is missing from your computer, you shouldn't runt he hack kit on it. The newest version traps that error and reports it.

If that program, which is supposed to be on your PC is missing from your windows ENV, then your windows installation is FUBAR and you should not be using it that way to hack smartphones.

Your best two options are:

• Try a 32 bit Ubuntu LiveCD
  • Try another PC that isn't screwed up.

With a clean Windows environment and properly installed drivers from the hack kit, it typically takes just under 6 minutes, start to finish.

If your ENV is fouled up, it can take you far longer to troubleshoot it than it would to download and start the PC with the Linux Live CD and run the hack kit from there.

Upvote 0
Thanks Attn1, for all the info. But i already solved it yesterday. It appears that my Windows XP Home does not have a 'tasklist.exe'. Just to share with you all, you just need to download 'tasklist.exe' then put in system32 folder and run it. Then you can already run the Hack Kit.

I have ran the Hack Kit! It's superbly successful. Thanks again!!! Now flashing my new ROM ARHD 6.1, hehehe....

Upvote 0
So the new version of Lordmod's Kernel came out (seems like I am getting addicted to doing stuff to my phone now and want to try it :D)

Will I have to change some of the files around in the zip, and also have to download the MIUI version again? Unfortunately I don't have enough posts on xda to post on that thread :(

Upvote 0
This is how the process ended can anyone tell me if it has worked.
Cheers

Untitled.png

Upvote 0
This is how the process ended can anyone tell me if it has worked.
Cheers

Untitled.png
It didnt work. Not to be put off, i read the instructions again and noticed i hadnt uninstalled my Asus software, did that ran the program and bingo i am now rooted, thing is what the hell do i do now:D
Loved the bit near the end of the program where its says "major abra cadabra going on, be patient"

Upvote 0
It didnt work. Not to be put off, i read the instructions again and noticed i hadnt uninstalled my Asus software, did that ran the program and bingo i am now rooted, thing is what the hell do i do now:D
Loved the bit near the end of the program where its says "major abra cadabra going on, be patient"

:D Gotta love little touches like that!

First up, get Titanium Backup on there to backup your apps and the data associated with them. When you flash your ROM, you wipe your previous one. TB will let you restore your apps and data to the state they were before the new ROM was installed. I'd recommend the paid version too, it makes things a lot easier and it allows you to batch restore and link the apps back to the market again. With the free version, it only lets you restore 1 app at a time. Totally up to you though.

What you do after that? Fire in with your custom ROM :D My personal choice is CM 7.1, it's miles away from the stock offering (it's pure Android with none of the Sense nicities), but ultra smooth and very customisable. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I can't see past it now. If you're looking at Sense ROMs, there's ARHD, LeeDroid or RCMIX (I think that's what it's called). If you're looking for something totally different, you can always try MIUI.

No worries at all, thank you so much for doing it in the first place :)

Attached. :) You'll need to undervolt again (via the app, no need to flash the UV zip again) but you won't need to mess about with stability testing this time. Just fire straight in with whatever you were using on 7.3.

Edit: Actually added the attachment this time.

Reactions: murzz
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones