• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has Anyone Activated a Google I/O Phone With Their Current Sprint #

What have they said to you? What's their reasoning for not activating it? Pretty worrying stuff.

I don't know if I would worry about it to much. Two reps have both told me to call back on the fourth. If anything the longest you would have to wait is for the free account to expire then it should free up the esn to where any rep could activate it, or do it online... I hope, lol

Reactions: Rizop
Upvote 0
I activated mine yesterday- so they closed out the demo line I used for one day so esn was used instead of new to perserve my upgrade due in July and moved the evo to my existing line. I think because it took 30 mins agents arent happy to do it.

Yeah i can understand that its time consuming to do it, and probably a little annoying for the agents to go through the whole process, but to refuse to switch or saying that you would have to wait till the 4th to activate it when there is no guarantee that it will work, seems to be a bit...wrong

Upvote 0
But people HAVE made the switch, right? It's all about getting a helpful CS rep who will help you out.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think the first few people who made the switch may have had an easier time getting it done (since they were among the first ppl that the reps talked to), even though the actual process was time consuming. What I gather from ppls activation experiences now is that these reps have realized how difficult and time consuming the process is, and they are suggesting/mandating that ppl wait until the 4th, or until the complimentary 30 day service period expires.

Upvote 0
I called the special number 3 times and retentions once. Each time they say the phone is tied to an HTC demo account and that it can not be switched until it expires. I guess I am going to have to forward calls until they let me switch. I am going to burn up this mobile hotspot until then.

Thanks for the great info! Did they pretty much guarantee that you would be able to switch eventually, or were they being pretty vague about it?

Upvote 0
I tried to re-activate an old Sprint account I canceled in February of this year.. and I guess it's a very technical process.. so it took over 2 hours and the guy who helped me was so helpful it just literally took forever. But, I got my Verizon number ported over almost instantly after the account was up, and he gave me the MSL for my phone and all the special codes and shit, so I was good to go.

If they're telling you to wait until the 4th, demand they do it now - everyone else is right .. they're realizing how long it takes and not wanting to help out.

Upvote 0
I tried to re-activate an old Sprint account I canceled in February of this year.. and I guess it's a very technical process.. so it took over 2 hours and the guy who helped me was so helpful it just literally took forever. But, I got my Verizon number ported over almost instantly after the account was up, and he gave me the MSL for my phone and all the special codes and shit, so I was good to go.

If they're telling you to wait until the 4th, demand they do it now - everyone else is right .. they're realizing how long it takes and not wanting to help out.

Yeah, I was actually going to suggest throwing a mini "fit" with the reps; not being rude or condescending, but being polite and firm, mentioning that it would be really inconvenient to carry 2 phones(losing one is definitely a possibility), or letting your friends/family contact you on the I/O account, only to switch back to your existing number 30 days later would be really irritating

Upvote 0
Yeah i can understand that its time consuming to do it, and probably a little annoying for the agents to go through the whole process, but to refuse to switch or saying that you would have to wait till the 4th to activate it when there is no guarantee that it will work, seems to be a bit...wrong

I agree 125% as a Manager in a call center I tell my agents customer service is customer service period

Upvote 0
They are not going to transfer the numbers on the IO phones..

They are also going to start canceling service on any of the phones that have switch numbers..

The phones are suppose to retain the existing number/accounts until the 20th..

Part of the terms of agreement on the phones giving out was they were to remain on that temp account until the 20th.

They were also not to be sold

Upvote 0

They are also going to start canceling service on any of the phones that have switch numbers..

Part of the terms of agreement on the phones giving out was they were to remain on that temp account until the 20th.

Cool, but why is there a section on the paperwork that mentions existing sprint service (shows a number to call), or is it only for when the complimentary service ends on the 20th?

Upvote 0
Cool, but why is there a section on the paperwork that mentions existing sprint service (shows a number to call), or is it only for when the complimentary service ends on the 20th?

Correct it was for after the 20th. The plans and codes for the EVO have not been officially released. They are trying to prevent EVO's from being activated until the 4th..

I would not be surprised if the phones that have change accounts get bricked next week when the system updates..

Reactions: Rizop
Upvote 0

I highly, highly doubt sprint is in any postion to be canceling peoples services that did get their evo activated on their personal line already.

Sprint would have to be the stupidest company in the world if they thought giving away 5000 evo's, not expecting any of them to be sold. What did they expect, people that aren't already on Sprint or don't want to be on Sprint were just going to cancel their service with their provider and jump on board because the phone was free? Hardly.

Upvote 0
I called the special number 3 times and retentions once. Each time they say the phone is tied to an HTC demo account and that it can not be switched until it expires. I guess I am going to have to forward calls until they let me switch. I am going to burn up this mobile hotspot until then.

call this number 1-877-527-8405. they switched it for me with no problem.

Reactions: jkmbaum
Upvote 0

there is nothing stating they were not to be sold or activated on personal lines. Sprint is not going to cancel anyones service.

Upvote 0
I saw the number on someone paper, through an ebay picture..It seems like a special line, because when i called it someone directly answered, so i guess they have been expecting the I/O attendees to call and start a contract.. You better believe when i get my I/O EVO, i will be activating it to my line and hope that they apply the discount and if they ask any of you guys just say i was at the I/O LMAO!!!!!

Does Sprint know what EVO's were handed out at the conference? I really doubt it? What's to stop someone calling up on June 4th or 5th and saying he got his EVO at the conference and asking for the discount? I think I may just activate mine without the trial just so there are no issues. $120/year is worth much more than a free 30 day trial.

Upvote 0
Does Sprint know what EVO's were handed out at the conference? I really doubt it? What's to stop someone calling up on June 4th or 5th and saying he got his EVO at the conference and asking for the discount? I think I may just activate mine without the trial just so there are no issues. $240/year is worth much more than a free 30 day trial.

As it has been stated, their ESNs are tied to I/O demo accounts, so it is pretty obvious which ones are I/O EVOs.

Upvote 0

That was the dumbest comment so far on this thread, don't be such a troll. And it says NOTHING of the sort on any of the forms so STFU unless you know what you are taking about.. Tons of ppl have them activated like myself on my current number- just because you have a lot of posts doesn't mean you know what your taking about.

Upvote 0
That was the dumbest comment so far on this thread, don't be such a troll. And it says NOTHING of the sort on any of the forms so STFU unless you know what you are taking about.. Tons of ppl have them activated like myself on my current number- just because you have a lot of posts doesn't mean you know what your taking about.
lol calling eieio a troll, thats funny................

Upvote 0

apparently - you do not know who eieio is or the fact that he is deeper involved than you would like to believe... just sayin...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones