• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help has anyone actually received a NEW replacement?

i ordered a replacement about 4 months after opening my account and they sent me a brand new replacement still sealed in the original box with all original packaging (booklets and stuff). was i just one of the lucky ones?

Wow you're definitely a lucky one.. I only had mine 2 weeks and got sent one without any packaging just the phone no battery or cover

Reactions: Whyzor
Upvote 0
Wow you're definitely a lucky one.. I only had mine 2 weeks and got sent one without any packaging just the phone no battery or cover

Ok so these two accounts basically disproves my 30-day replacement-with-new phones theory. I also heard they ran out of new MT stock, so could be digging into the refurb stock to handle the replacement requests (just another theory, could be disproved if people start reporting consistently getting new replacements after a certain date).

Upvote 0
Called up last Monday or Tuesday(12/5 or 12/6) because my phone won't turn on or charge. Was supposed to get a replacement shipped within 5-7 business days. I call today, "there was an error on your order" Nice, so I have to wait another 3-5 days for my replacement. So I will be 2-3 weeks without a phone now.

Upvote 0
Called up last Monday or Tuesday(12/5 or 12/6) because my phone won't turn on or charge. Was supposed to get a replacement shipped within 5-7 business days. I call today, "there was an error on your order" Nice, so I have to wait another 3-5 days for my replacement. So I will be 2-3 weeks without a phone now.

Many people are saying they got theirs overnighted. Especially if you had to wait only to find they didn't ship it, I would call and pretty much demand that. If the person answering won't do it, ask to talk to their supervisor (and do so until someone authorizes it!). That stuff happens, but they should make up for the fact that you have been waiting.

Upvote 0
when i ordered a replacement, i called twice (in two days) to get help with my charger or microUSB port that was apparently loose or broken. the first time, they said it was most likely the battery and they would send me a replacement battery in a week (they were out of stock at the time) but then i called again the next day to basically tell them they didnt know what they were talking about, its DEFINATELY the microUSB port. when i got off the phone, the man had a replacement phone on its way for 3 day delivery and he said they wold credit my account for those 3 days, extending my "month" period. maybe the "New" vs "Refurb" policy has something to do with what your specific problem is.

Upvote 0
A refurbished may not be so bad, at least it would've gone through a more thorough quality inspection than the original ones coming off the assembly line.

As someone that grew up in the consumer electronics manufacturing business, I must say that not every refurbished device goes through a strict QC process. At least in my case and that included products for almost every computer manufacturer.

Sometimes, all that is checked is if it works according to the existing specifications. And sometimes not even that. It really depends on the manufacturer. I do not know Motorola's policy or their rework procedures, so I really can't speak for them, just make a few guesses.

We manufactured devices that made it into packaging and shipping without PC Boards, for god's sake.

I have rejected more than just a few products destined to replace a customer's unit. The tech doing the inspection was likely half blind and missed minor issues, like cosmetic condition and some things simply did not function as we designed it to function.

Upvote 0

Are you certain it was not the battery? Your problem is exactly the problem I had. I complained via email and with no help arriving, I went to their Facebook page and complained. Two days later, my free replacement battery arrived. Not the phone, just a bad battery.

Upvote 0
i ordered a replacement about 4 months after opening my account and they sent me a brand new replacement still sealed in the original box with all original packaging (booklets and stuff). was i just one of the lucky ones?

Perhaps, or perhaps not. We always packaged refurb units in new packaging with software install disks, instruction books, etc. They looked new, but in some cases, they were not, they were repaired units.

If the model was an updated version, we always shipped a new product.

Upvote 0
refurb phones are normally broken phones that get sent back to vmobile, and they typically get some piece of hardware replaced, or in somecases just the software reflashed if it was a software issue, but they ALWAYS get the chassis replaced. when you get a refurb phone back from them, it'll be a spotless chassis with the protective plastic all over it.

Perhaps, but in our case, some products cost us very little to manufacture, so replacement was the only cost effective way to go. You are not going to put $30.00 into repairing a device that costs you $10.00 to make.

Tearing down a product to repair it is not only more costly, it sometimes causes issues. For example, tearing down a modem to replace a chip set is too costly and there can be damage caused by the repairs.

Pulling a new unit off the line or out of stock is far cheaper in most cases.

When I was repairing these things, the unit was logged in by RMA. RMA rework then tested it. Sometimes, it passes just fine. If it was a broken connector, we removed the cases with heat. Removed the bad components after a visual inspection. New metal case covers were heat applied to a new frame. Tested again, sent to QC/Packaging, cleaned, inspected, and shipped to the customer.

Too costly in many cases, so we shipped either a new product or a refurbished one.

Upvote 0
i know but still i purchased a new phone not someone elses returned pos.
if it was software issue they reflash it, if it was hardware they repalce the bad hardware, and either way they completly change out the chassis to a new one, so it's perfect without scratches or anything.
it's frequently better than a new phone, because they have already replaced the problem hardware.

Upvote 0
I had speaker problems on my first one, so they sent me a replacement (just the phone body, no battery or back). The second phone corrected the speaker phone problem, now I can’t use the auto-focus feature on the camera - comes out blurred. Using other settings seems to work but focus is okay. However, after taking a picture the new focus is blurred, so I go out of camera mode, then go back in and the pic is in focus.

Now, the phone has started to ring only once whe someone calls. I can see the caller ID info and answer the phone, but I’ve missed calls because of that one ring.

Does anyone know how to fix the one ring problem? Maybe try a different ring tone?

Thx. Rob

I’m awaiting my third phone now. I wanted my money back, but it was over the 30 day period. Hell, some of these issues started after 30 days.

Upvote 0
Every time I've dealt with VM, they claim they're going to "overnight" it. It always comes via FedEx Ground from the midwest to california.

I had hair in my earpiece, and the area around the microusb port was all nicked up. Was also shipped a phone meant for a prostitute in CT. Took over an hour and a half to resolve. Kept getting disconnected, and they kept insisting I send that one back and they'll send me a different triumph.

GPS is even worse on this one. Drove cross country a few weeks ago, and rarely could get a lock. Best was 400ft accuracy. Speedometer does not work at all. Google navigation? Forget about it.

Upvote 0
Every time I've dealt with VM, they claim they're going to "overnight" it. It always comes via FedEx Ground from the midwest to california.

I had hair in my earpiece, and the area around the microusb port was all nicked up. Was also shipped a phone meant for a prostitute in CT. Took over an hour and a half to resolve. Kept getting disconnected, and they kept insisting I send that one back and they'll send me a different triumph.

GPS is even worse on this one. Drove cross country a few weeks ago, and rarely could get a lock. Best was 400ft accuracy. Speedometer does not work at all. Google navigation? Forget about it.

Have you tried a custom ROM?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones