1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Has anyone been able to browse thumb drives?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lens pirate, Jul 12, 2011.

1. lens pirate

lens pirate Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    I got my hands on the USB adapter kit but can't seem to browse a flash drive? Has any one managed to use a flash drive with your SGT 10.1 and a USB adapter. Works great with USB mice!

Advertisement

2. lens pirate

None

Jun 29, 2011
    Issue resolved:

The SGT 10.1 and USB adapter is unable to use SOME flash drives. Drives with utility partitions lije Scandisk cruiser drives will not work. The CDFS partitions prevents the SGT 10.1 from mounting the Drive.

I tried a PNY, Generic driver from staples and both work perfectly.

Also all of this works on the keyboard port as well. Currently I have the Keyboard, a Bluetooth mouse and a flash drive all up and running.

(helpful tip: Start with the SGT turn off. Mount all items you wish to use then turn it on. Plug and pay is sort of buggy once the SGT is booted)

So to recap. The USB adapter is working fine with supported hardware like cameras,
    some flash drives, USB mice.

It will not work with some items like external USB hard drives that are powered from the USB port for obvious reasons.

badankles likes this.
  3. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Do hubs work?

4. badankles

badankles Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    i think the question is anyone able to directly access data on the flash drive, such as through the music player or video. would be nice to watch a movie from the flash drive and not have to copy it over to the tab's internal storage first.

5. palur

palur Newbie
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    I just got mine today. I tried 16GB Kingston USB flash drive and 4 port USB Hub connected with Cf or 32 GB SD card. All worked very well. I could watch wmv movie, photos and listen to music directly from the USB drive. Since, USB media card reader works, I do not see the need to buy SD card reader though.

UKCatFan and badankles like this.
  6. badankles

badankles Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    Awesome, thanks. Going to order mine...

7. MoBaX

MoBaX Lurker
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Any drive has to be formatted in FAT32.

8. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    So, does that mean that a FAT32 external hard drive will work. I thought I heard that they would not.

9. lens pirate

None

Jun 29, 2011
    That depends on the drive. It will work if the drive has a independent power source. But if it realys on the usb port for power then you are out of luck.

10. JPG619

JPG619 Member
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Toronto, Ontaro, Canada
    What size of Tab to do you have 16 or 32. Since I got a 16 GB version that should arrive by the end of the month. I was also thinking of picking up a USB Flash drive to back up my data and since you said that it works I was just wondering which version you have or will it work with the 16 GB tab I am getting

11. PittCaleb

PittCaleb Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Use my Tab and a flash thumb drive to offload photos from my camera during a 2 week vacation sans laptop. Using the USB connector, plugged in the camera, copied the photos to the tab's internal memory. Then for 'safekeeping' I plugged in my thumb drive and copied them from the Tab to the thumb drive for added safety.

I was able to browse the thumb drive's contents easily, using Astro File Manager, however I was unable to browser the camera's contents at all. It auto-opened Gallery and allowed for an easy download of the camera's contents, however: 1) it did not copy down any of my avi files, just jpg's and 2) it would not allow me to push a file to the camera's flash card.

All in all, it did everything I *needed* it to do. On a 2-week vacation, you must offload from the camera due to space restrictions and not wanting all the photos in transit all the time. However, better browsing and file manipulation would have been nice. Anyone got better suggestions for file managers?

PittCaleb

12. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    I really like OI (Open Intents) File Manager -- it's dead simple, no frills, file management. Open source too (I think)

also, on topic, still waiting for my adapter to arrive, will post back when I get it :)