1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Has anyone else sent their phone in to Samsung?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alekia, Sep 21, 2011.

1. alekia

alekia Member
    None

Aug 21, 2011
    Minnesota
    Hello,

I posted another thread before about having force close issues and the phone resetting itself. I ended up sending it in to Samsung. I had read a post on here before (that I can't find now) about someone else who had sent their phone in to Samsung, got it back, and it had the same issues again.

They did the repair today, and here are the notes:

9/21/2011 1:54 PM-Graciela: The unit is shipped.
    *09/21/2011//14:57:58//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
    9/21/2011 1:54 PM-Graciela: No hold amount
    *09/21/2011//14:22:32//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
    SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD
    PASSED RADIATION TEST
    PASSED FINAL TEST
    *09/21/2011//11:22:30//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
    9/21/2011 10:18 AM-Van: The unit is repaired. SOLUTION: Replaced Component
    ---

Then I received an email update confirming it was shipped that also said:

*Original Problem:*
    ANDROID - APPLICATION - APPLICATION FREEZING

*Problem found:*
    WILL NOT CHARGE

*Solution:*
    REPLACED COMPONENT
    ---

That made me go wtf? I never had charging issues. See, I had also sent them the battery and charging cable because I told the phone rep the phone got hot right away when it was charging. Maybe they all do, but she told me to send in the battery and cable. I thought possibly it was overheating and that was causing all the freezing issues.

So, now I am pissed. I called and their phone reps don't have any information beyond what I can already see myself. All I want to know is, what component did they replace? I'm worried they just replaced the battery or some other ridiculous shit. I highly doubt I got a new phone. It doesn't even seem like they tested it much.

Anyone else had to send a phone back in the past and got the same uninformative notes? I bet I'll get it back and have the same problems again. On the bright side, they couldn't tell it was rooted previously. I used Odin though to remove it.

Advertisement

2. danielmike

danielmike Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Male
    web developer
    Mayb it means they found the problem and fixed it and their not gona charge you for the repair..??

3. alekia

alekia Member
    None

Aug 21, 2011
    Minnesota
    I already gathered that, or at least, that they said it was fixed. Regardless, when I get it back I'm selling it and getting the new Transform Ultra when it comes out.

4. kolosus

kolosus Android Expert
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    PA/NJ Usa
    First. Be aware that the Ultra will have a monthly bill of $55. Prevail owners are going to be grandfatherd into the $50 monthly bill... but the day before the release Boost is going to announce android phones will incur a $5 extra charge. Next day the phone comes out and bob's your uncle. Prevail owners are going to be grandfathered into the $50 price BUT only until they update their handset, at which point they're also going to have to pony up the extra $5.

Second. I was having problems with my phone. Random reboots. Mostly the phone would just turn itself off but at times reboots also happened. It would be sitting at the corner of my desk and presto! Reboot!

Very annoying. Called Boost. They said hardware issue. Called Samsung. They told me to send it back. Emailed me a UPS label. Sent it back. They mailed it back within a few days. Supposedly it was "unable to update PRL" but what has that got to do with rebooting? I was thinking battery problem. The tech dude I talked to asked me to send in the battery... Regardless. When I got the phone back everything was ok. Phone is fine and rooted again. No problems yet. Been about a week.

I understand that paying $55 for a fully functional android phone is still a steal... the physical keyboard beckons me too but to each his/her own. I mean if you really think about it after shrinkage $40 for a super phone that can beat the pants of any competitors is unquestionably unbeatable. But my phone is still fairly new I dont want to shell out another $200+ for a new phone while the cost of this phone is still fresh in my memory. But YMMV.

Good luck.

5. danielmike

None

Jul 11, 2011
    Male
    web developer
    Kolosus that sounds about rite with sprint they got me on my evo like that but wouldnt that kinda contridict the whole shrinkage plan?? do you have a link to that information i myself and maybe others would like to check this out!! thanks....

6. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    I read an update prevail owners will be grandfathered even if they change phones, I hope that is true. To me it makes sense.

This is the important part of the article, though I dont know exactly what they mean it sure looks like existing android owners do not get the increase, and no mention of upgrade change over if you have android already.

7. danielmike

None

Jul 11, 2011
    Male
    web developer
    Thanks New Optimus!!! thats exactly what i wanted to figure out.. this makes alot more sence to me i appriate it...

8. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    I just hope my interpretation is the correct one. I mean at some point everyone will have to upgrade, it may be months away or even years but phones dont last forever lol. And the better devices coming out are reason enough to change if money is available.

9. alekia

alekia Member
    None

Aug 21, 2011
    Minnesota
    Seems to mean that to me. I had my Prevail activated but had to go back to my Sanyo Incognito when I sent my phone in to Samsung. I'm planning on selling it as soon as I get it back, without even activating it again first. It seems like I would end up being hit with the $5 a month price increase though, if I were to do that.

I'm hopeful that I could call them and explain the situation considering I did have an Android phone activated already, and end up grandfathered in as well. If not, I'll just have to activate the Prevail again until I get the new phone.

10. txlancelot1975

None

Dec 12, 2011
    I had sent my Droid Charge in and they wrote in the notes EXACTLY the same thing as what they wrote in yours. This was the second time I had sent the phone in for repairs. Funny thing, I was playing around with it and had accidently bricked it. Of course I didn't tell them that; just that the phone wasn't booting up.

Anyway, the second time around they had to escalate the repair ticket up higher because it was sent in for the same repair issue but I just logged onto my Samsung account to see what the status was and it's being shipped backed all repaired.

I will not be playing with it when I get it back. I can't use it because I'm a T-mobile customer and you can't use the Droid Charge with that network; not that I know of.

Can anyone verify that??

~Wayne