1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Has anyone figured out how to install android on iphone?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by vettekid81, Nov 6, 2014.

1. vettekid81

vettekid81 Newbie

Hey everyone
    Has anyone figured out how to install android on iphone?
    I have a iphone 5s, tired of ios, so i threw it in my desk. Been using a few android phones.
    NOTHING feels the same, all big in the hand feel, or feels fake, to much plastic.
    I used a S5, HTC ONE, Moto Razr Ultra, Nexus. The only one, similar size to a 4s, width, is the droid incredible.
    It is such a old phone tho, still like the android OS, but plastic feel.

The iphone 5s, thin, feels great, good hardware, easy to put in the pocket, great screen, easy to touch, feels of quality made, quality weight, thumb reach easy.
    BUT SO Tired of the damn restrictions on the IOS. Android is so much easier, everything is, music transfer, movie storage, layout design, etc, etc.

SO, is there a way to have both, android , say ICS or Jelly Bean on a iphone 5s? Been checking around, DONT want a clone, i have a 5s already. Been looking in to idroid, but they are slow at progression of implication.

Any thoughts?

thanks all

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. vettekid81

vettekid81 Newbie

Hi root
    Looked at goophones, simply a clone, mine is a real 5s.
    You know ive considered getting one, and switching the guts, haha
    Bit seems goo is only GSM, iam on verizon, haha
    ALSO, just a consideration
    thanks

3. vosg

vosg Android Expert

Did you consider the Sony Z3 compact? I think it's about the size of the iPhone 5s and it has awesome build quality. Also it has the best battery life.

4. vettekid81

vettekid81 Newbie

Hi vosg
    Thanks for the reply, yeh i did look at the experia z3 compact once. I have to agree with you, sony has always had such great build quality. I run in to the same issue tho. It is 4.6 inches, with the 5s is 4.0. It feels much too wide, as i do not care too much for the new 6 at all. I am not sure if it is my hand is too small, but i found swiping across not easy with my thumb. Had the same issues, idk, maybe i am a pain in the azz, haha.

5. vosg

vosg Android Expert

You realise that with Android you don't have to reach for the top of the screen to click the "back" button? And if you put Apex launcher on it, you don't have to reach for the top even if you want to open the notifications panel. You can assign a swipe down for that. My hands aren't that big either, but I find that with Android, once properly set up, I don't have any problems using my even larger HTC one m8. Really, there's so much you can tweak for small hands, and the larger display is such a benefit when watching YouTube or other videos.

6. mojosodope

mojosodope Android Enthusiast

My wife has small hands and uses a note 4.....

7. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

But she probably uses it two-handed.

For my preferred way of using my phone my HTC One (M7) is often a stretch if I have it in a case. Fine if using it two-handed, but that's often not what I want, sometimes not even an option. So I sympathise with people who want smaller devices and the fact that the current market trend excludes them.

The problem is that to get smaller than the Z3 Compact you end up in the budget ranges, and the OP also doesn't want something cheap and plasticky. The older Z1 Compact might be marginally easier: it's the same physical size, but as the screen is smaller you don't need to reach your thumb quite as far. This year's other "mini" phones (S5 Mini, HTC One Mini 2) are about the same size as the Z3 compact but much less powerful. The previous year's models might be better: these had 4.3" screens and were a bit narrower (61mm for the S4 Mini, 63mm for the One Mini, vs 59mm for the Incredible). Lower specced than this year's phones though, but still a better bet than the 4" budget models in my opinion.

mik colin likes this.
  8. vettekid81

vettekid81 Newbie

Anyway, thanks to everyone else for real suggestions.

I agree with you hadron, i had the HTC One, in a case, it was easy with two hands, but a pain with one. I even went as far as trying the blackberry Q10, but link android for personal use and blackberry for business.
    Hadron, I could not agree more, it seems going smaller, you get less powerful as well.

I keep reading places that if someone can get android to run on the 5s, it will run slow. Others say its more then capable if you can get the drivers, binaries, it could run Gingerbread, ICS or Jellybean.

I remember a year ago, there was a software, i can not find it any more, it disappeared. It allowed you to plug in your iphone 3g,4,5 and install android gingerbread. The last time i seen it, a youtube video was up. Then it was taken down QUICK. Now the video link only states
    This video has been removed as a violation of YouTube's policy against spam, scams, and commercially deceptive content.

Its very odd, no names, tags, links anymore.
    YouTube

So i keep searching

9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Yeah - one of those iPhone with Android deals was a total scam, that was probably the one.

I've seen this claimed and attempted for four years - always falling short.

Don't be too disappointed if you can't find it - it's just not easy to do right with proprietary hardware and no baseline to copy from.

As for calling people out - let it go ok. We don't need flame wars over what are misunderstandings more than 99% of the time. ;) :)

10. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Well, even if it's possible, it's unlikely that Android on iOS hardware will even perform well, considering it's not optimized for it.
    Plus, after jumping from an S1 and S3mini to a Note 2, I find the whole big screen thing not a big deal. I use it two hands most of the time, but one hand isn't a problem either. You'll get used to it. Personally I find the 5S form factor too narrow to type comfortably even on one hand use.

11. vettekid81

vettekid81 Newbie

12. vettekid81

vettekid81 Newbie

13. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert

I always thought that I wouldn't like the slightly larger screens each time I upgraded from my old galaxy S1, then the S2 and the S4. But after each switch I realized how much better I like the bigger screens. I was always able to keep one handed operation, too.

I just switched to the note 4. If I really need to I can turn on one handed features. Or use the stylus.

I love the size of this thing now.

Don't discount the usefulness.

14. mikedt

mikedt 你好

15. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Oh I think it's entirely possible to make an iPhone boot into something that isn't iOS, once it's jailbroken can do anything you like with it. More a question of time and resources, and willing developers. Rockbox have been doing third-party open source firmware for iPods for over ten years now.

AFAIK it's perfectly legal to reverse engineer and hack other software onto a device, although Apple's lawyers may decide otherwise.

#15 mikedt, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  16. vettekid81

vettekid81 Newbie

Hi Mikedt
    Thanks for your reply, I do agree, i guess there is many companies trying to do port android on to the iphone. Hopefully in my opinion i would like to see this happen. Thanks for sharing about Rockbox, looks like a cool alternative to ipods OS. I recently saw a post of a chinese man that posted win98 to a iphone 6. Of course most would ask, why someone would do such a thing. Others would think like i, as it was cool, and a way to just see if it would work. It leaves it to that if someone can put 98 of all things on one, that android should be able to as well one day.
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/11/windows-98-installed-iphone-6-plus.html
    [​IMG]

17. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Running Windows through the iDOS emulator on an iPhone (not jailbroken) isn't the same as sorting out a native installer.

I'd forgotten about emulators, it's been a while since they've been discussed. Check out "DosBox Turbo"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fishstix.dosbox

Anyway - good luck with your wish. :)

codesplice likes this.
  18. vettekid81

vettekid81 Newbie

#18 vettekid81, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    EarlyMon likes this.
  19. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Very clever, very cool.

Despite Wikipedia calling out network booting as a Mac and Windows thing, it started in unix in 1985 - http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc951

No school like old school.

When I saw your link I was expecting to see them going for a modified Android-x86 running under iDOS or a suitable emuluator.

Anyway, that's pretty slick. :)

20. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Seems like iDOS has a deep history of successful Windows image booting.

Conceptually I don't see a problem with an iDOS/Android-x86 approach...

No doubt work would be required but it seems like even running from the live iso (can you OTG USB storage on an iPhone?) might be reasonable.

Or science fiction. I wonder if anyone has thought to try this?

21. vettekid81

vettekid81 Newbie

#21 vettekid81, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  22. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Yeah, older iPhones and older Android got there, pretty much - I'd seen that before, as I said, I've been following this for years.

You'd be further ahead to look for more Android phone choices until you find one you like.

I get you like the 5S hardware - but - that's already a dead end and getting deader because it's not the latest.

23. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

24. vettekid81

vettekid81 Newbie

AWSOME EarlyMon!!! Your Great, Where do you find these things, haha, i keep searching and searching.
    I tell you, other then the sleakness and small, compact of the iphone 5, its well built fits in the pocket nice.
    They make some of the BEST Cases for the damn phone, haha
    Cant wait to see someone get ICS or Jellybean on one, Come on Venom, haha
    You think if i offer $300 someone can create it sooner, haha
    Thanks for the update EarlyMon, its crazy people get excited over there phoneso_O
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EarlyMon likes this.
  25. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Just get an HTC One M8. :)

Take the $300 bounty, apply to purchase, get a better phone.

#25 EarlyMon, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015