1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Has anyone had the T-Bolt shut itself down?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lamoglinsgal, Mar 24, 2011.

1. offanairplane

offanairplane Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    TX
    It just did it again.

I will uninstall ColorNote and see if that has any effect.

Advertisement

2. project.in.process

project.in.process Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Production Engineer
    Charlotte, NC
    mine occurred this morning

stock OS, no sketchy apps or Launchers,
    but after it rebooted--i looked at my PRL. it went from something like 15008 or 13xxx to now showing "1"

check yours. see if yours is showing "1" instead of a 5 or 6 digit number.
    (menu>settings>about phone>software information)

3. Halcyon

Halcyon Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 15, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Only time it shut down on me is when I ran out of juice lol.

4. lamoglinsgal

lamoglinsgal Android Expert
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Virginia

Let me know. I'm curious if that was it. I remember now I did have an issue on my Incredible with ColorNote. I don't know why I thought it would be better on the TB. :rolleyes: Sticky Note is pretty good, too, though.

5. offanairplane

None

Aug 17, 2010
    TX
    So far so good.

I'll post if it happens again.

lamoglinsgal likes this.
  6. offanairplane

None

Aug 17, 2010
    TX
    Apparently ColorNote wasn't the problem, because it just did it again.

This is really annoying.

The Verizon store people said that if it keeps doing it, they will give me another. But I have spent a lot of time and energy customizing this one. And I really don't want to start all over again.

I don't know what I'm gonna do.

I really don't like the iPhone, but they sure seem to have all their stuff together better than HTC at this point.

I had even set the task-killer to be agressive, and to kill tasks everytime I lock the screen.
    So that isn't it.

One of my co-workers suggested cleaning the battery contacts really well. Pencil erasers work well for that. I may give that a try. Maybe the battery is making a bad connection.

Edit:
    Tried it. Even used some industrial-strength electrical contact cleaning solution.

We'll see if that helps.

7. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Remove the Task Killer, the VZW rep doesn't know what she is talking about and is going off of old information when Android first came out. Task Killers will cause more harm the they help. Especialy if you set it up as agressive like you said you did.

8. offanairplane

None

Aug 17, 2010
    TX
    That is what I thought, but I figured if I was gonna get a replacement out of them, I would have to try their troubleshooting method first and prove that it doesn't work, which I've already proven.

Uninstalled.

9. Feels Good Man

Feels Good Man Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    This happened to me, and I've never used colornote or a task killer...

10. jackson7840

jackson7840 Newbie
    None

Mar 22, 2010
    Male
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Wilsonville, OR
    This was happening to me, they advised safe mode to see if it would happen even factory reset. It continued and I replaced it yesterday... Of course I did this at lunch so was in a hurry, the SD card in the new phone was bad! Back to Verizon to get the original SD card. So far, no power offs. I have none of the apps above and it was happening. I would "open a ticket" and get it replaced..

11. Feels Good Man

None

Apr 21, 2010
    I think I'm going to take a wait and see approach. If it happens again I'm going to have to exchange.

12. snsjets

snsjets Member
    None

Sep 21, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Last night my TB did this. Woke up today and it was off. Not cool. Also had one random reboot when the phone was just a few days old. No ColorNote here.

13. offanairplane

None

Aug 17, 2010
    TX
    All these other people with the same problem isn't making me feel any better. :(

I am hesitant to exchange it, because it is such a hassle to exchange it, and then to get the new phone set up like I want it. And then, maybe I am being pessimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if the replacement does the same thing.

Are the majority of the Thunderbolts having this problem, or does it just seem that way in this thread?

Maybe I should start a poll in a new thread.

I think what I am going to do today is make a list of every app I have installed. (there are only about 10 or 12) And uninstall all of them. Then use the phone for 24 hours and see if I have a reboot. If not, then I'll start adding them back two at a time, and see if the problem comes back.

All of my apps are working correctly, so I don't even know if this is the problem. All of them except my bible app. The app works, but the widget doesn't. It forces closed everytime I open it. Maybe that is the culprit? Anyone else using a bible app and having this problem?

14. ISUVetMed

ISUVetMed Member
    None

Mar 2, 2010
    This happened to mine today, woke up and phone was off. Using the stock charger and done have very many apps installed. The ones I do have are mostly the amazon free app of the day. Kind of odd, hoping it doesnt continue because im outside of the 14 day windows and with verizons new change to warranty replacements I dont want to get stuck paying for a new device.

15. Feels Good Man

None

Apr 21, 2010
    Just happened again. WTF.

16. Feels Good Man

None

Apr 21, 2010
    I'm going to talk to verizon tomorrow and see what they say about this issue. I would like to know if its hardware or software. I'll probably end up exchanging it tomorrow, which sucks because I already put a screen protector on mine, and I dont want a factory refurb.

17. idroidberry

idroidberry Newbie
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Real Estate Broker
    South Pasadena
    launcher pro made my atrix reboot all the time...I was thinking of getting a thunderbolt...but i am stuck...i have about a week with sprint to decide...

18. Feels Good Man

None

Apr 21, 2010
    Tech support had me do a reset. If it happens again I'll get a replacement.

19. 2010 ZR1

2010 ZR1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Is everyone using the stock battery here? Also, I know that if I am charging my Incredible (looking into getting a Thunderbolt) while playing a game or surfing the net, the battery gets really hot and it puts the battery in danger of losing "health" as Battery Indicator calls it. When the phone shuts down or reboots on its own, place the back of the phone against your face and see if it is warm or not.

20. ISUVetMed

ISUVetMed Member
    None

Mar 2, 2010
    Yep stock battery, not rooted, no sketchy apps (colornote ect.), just a few games and thats it. Only has happened once to me. Stock charger also... it was charging when it happened.

21. 2010 ZR1

2010 ZR1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Try to charge it while playing a game and see if it happens again. Also, are you using a case? I noticed the Incredible overheats faster when it is in the case.

22. ISUVetMed

ISUVetMed Member
    None

Mar 2, 2010
    I have tried to make it overhead, it doesnt even get close to warm. I can play games like pocket legends for hours with it plugged in no problem. This was one time and it was like 80% battery but I was going to bed so I plugged it in and woke up like 6 hours later tried to unlock the screen and it powered on. I am like 99.9% sure it wasnt a head issue. I am using a seidio case, but like I said its not rooted/overclocked and I cant get it to heat up even when I push it hard.

23. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Sales
    Massachusetts
    This has happened more than once to me. This morning I discovered a different problem. Sometimes after bump charging in the morning (I bump everyday, battery lasts me an extra 4-6 hours), I'll boot my phone, it's unresponsive and I'll have to pull the battery to get it to function again. After this the phone is super smooth, though. Kinda strange. I don't know if it's the ROM I'm running (BAMF--updated from 1.3 to 1.3.2 without a full wipe) so I'm going to wipe and reflash this weekend when I have more free time. I'm running LP+ as well. I really hope this crazy shit stops! I don't want to have to get a new TB shipped and then reroot and all that noise :(

24. stratusmonkey

stratusmonkey Newbie
    None

This happened to me once, as well, playing Angry Birds Seasons (the free version in Android Market). I was unable to replicate the problem. Though not for lack of trying. ;)

A couple days later, I had a full reboot. Since then, nothing of the sort. No task killers or colornote, Though I had been up and running the entire time from the Angry Birds shutdown until the reboot, and I was low on juice. I half think it was a fault from trying to access some RAM that wasn't properly garbage-collected. (Like a page fault, if this were a Windows PC) I haven't yet matched the uptime I saw before the reboot, though.

Today, I rebooted because I was having some problems with 3g (after several days on straight, just not as long as before). But that is a story for another thread.

25. Bomfy

Bomfy Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    I had a reboot last night. I was listening to my Amazon MP3 (as well as downloading from the cloud) and uninstalling a crappy app I tried. There was a momentary slowdown of response and then it rebooted. All has been well and it was my only time anything like that occurred.

I figure I may have been dowing too many things while it was uninstalling and things got off. I have to remind myself that it's basically a pocket computer so these things occasionally do happen.