1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Has anyone had the T-Bolt shut itself down?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lamoglinsgal, Mar 24, 2011.

1. slckofit

slckofit Newbie
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    I've had a reboot about a week ago while playing angry bird rio.

I believe I had another reboot while I was sleeping the other night. In the morning when I woke up, I checked my battery stats and it said 45 mins since unplugged. Now the phone wasn't plugged in all night and it was still reading about 35%.

Advertisement

2. gadgetmom88

gadgetmom88 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 23, 2009
    Statistician/Nerd
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Just got off the phone with Verizon customer support about this issue. They said they've never heard of anyone having issues like this. The rep even helpfully told me that SHE'S NEVER HAD THIS ISSUE ON HER THUNDERBOLT, nor have any of the other reps that she works with. So she can't imagine that it would be a problem. But she could call HTC for me and I can tell them about it. Seriously? That's the best they could do. I don't mind if the problem is widespread and on the agenda to get fixed by HTC, but for the rep to tell me just do a factory reset because we don't think there's really anything wrong is just frustrating. My phone reboots 2-3x per day and I find it shut down at least daily. I can put up with a lot in a phone, but powering on is sort of necessary.

Has anyone found a fix for this other than swapping out the phone? If not, I'll attempt to swap mine out and hope the next one doesn't have these issues.

3. Feels Good Man

Feels Good Man Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    Considering that this thread is only 2 pages long and not 20, it seems the problem exists with a small amount of phones. I had been getting random shut downs, and last night while I was asleep I got a random reboot. Tech support said if it happened again I'd get a new TB. Might as well give it a shot.

4. gadgetmom88

gadgetmom88 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 23, 2009
    Statistician/Nerd
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I factory reset my phone 2 days ago and haven't had the problem since.

5. Feels Good Man

Feels Good Man Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    They are sending me a replacement device. A refurb, but I'm hoping that they don't have any refurbs yet, because the phone is so new.

6. Mayhem

Mayhem Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    Male
    Senior Engineer - Software Quality Assurance
    Austin, Texas area
    This started happening to me too. I noticed that it seems to have something to do with turning my screen off.

I grabbed my phone while heading into the store this morning and shut the screen off. When I came back to get into my truck, it was completely shut off.

So I powered it back up and set to turn the screen off after 10 minutes. When it did, it apparently shut itself off. I don't know if it was immediately or after x number of minutes.

I set it to never turn off and propped it up on my desk to watch it. It never happened.

Stock ROM, running GO Launcher.

I seriously doubt ColorNote has anything to do with the problem. To rule out software, maybe we should list what software we're running to narrow it down. Thoughts?

7. Mayhem

Mayhem Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    Male
    Senior Engineer - Software Quality Assurance
    Austin, Texas area
    I noticed when I plopped my phone down on my desk at work, that this is when it last turned off.

So I re-seated my battery. It hasn't happened again. I even dropped it on the desk a few more times after re-seating.

Issue gone.

Obviously I don't know if this is the cause of the problem for everyone else seeing it. Certainly worth looking at just in case tho.

8. sisca

sisca Newbie
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    not with the tbolt, but my eris would shut down several times a day.

9. EKG

EKG Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 7, 2010
    At least you guys can just turn it back on right away. My phone will randomly shut down when I am not using it and I have to do a battery pull and THEN turn it back on.

10. mudking

mudking Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 12, 2011
    I have had about 3 shut downs and 2 or 3 reboots since installing lockbot. If you're using nolock, maybe it's something to do with modifying the lock screen, it really doesn't seem to like that. I haven't had any problems for a few days, though, so I don't know for sure that's what it was, just a guess.

11. Filinator13

Filinator13 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I've had this problem several times as well, mostly the phone seems to completely shut itself down.

Full battery, stock sense, none of the apps previously mentioned. Basically, I go to turn the screen on, it doesn't come on since the phone has completely shut itself off.

Also, it seems like I am getting a lot of error msgs, something to do with HTC and the phone doesn't do a full reboot, but the HTC logo sometimes come up and its like the screen had to reset itself or something.

Very frusting, especially on top of the other issues I have had.

I have already brought it into a VZ corp. store and the kid did a full reset even though I asked him not to actually do it until talking to tech support and confirming there is a chance it could help the data/GPS issues I had been having. Either way, the reset appears to have not helped anything.

12. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had that happen a couple times a few days ago... after the second time I made sure the battery was fit correctly and the back was on tight. Haven't had it happen since. It was the same as you are describing too, phone seems to be shut off and wouldn't turn on untill I pulled the battery.

I looked at some of the stats for when it happened in System Manager App, and found that when it shut down it was reading the battery as dead. It looks like the battery was not seated correctly, and making sure it was fixed the issue for me.

13. rachc1223

rachc1223 Lurker
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    Alabama
    I had this happen yesterday, the entire reason I found this forum. I reached for it when I left work to call my husband and it was off. No matter how much I tried to turn it back on I could not get it powered back up. When I got home (after being fussed at about not calling {it takes me an hour to get home}) the hubs finally managed to get the back off, pulled the battery and it came back on. I noticed several times yesterday and the evening before the screen would stick, not sure if that was from the same problem.

Edit: Oh and I tried to plug it in, maybe the battery was dead, and the led light wouldn't even come on.

14. adamalter

adamalter Member
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    interwebist
    Sunset Valley, TX
    Wow, happened to me two days in a row now while just sitting at my desk. Had my phone sitting next to me and not touching it, hadn't touched it for at least 30 minutes and suddenly noticed the screen was lit up saying HTC as it was powering up.

No aps were running (other than normal email sync), wasn't plugged in, wasn't hot, had 50%+ charge, but for some reason randomly rebooted!

15. slckofit

slckofit Newbie
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Happened again with mine this morning. As I was leaving the house, I checked the phone to see what time it was. Everything worked just fine. Got to the bank and as I was filling out my deposit slip, I pulled out my phone to check the date, phone was off.

Dunno what's going on with these random shutdowns and restarts.

16. bowhunt73

bowhunt73 Lurker
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    I've had my phone for about three weeks. It has shut off three times (wouldn't come out of sleep mode). Turning it on or plugging in the charger didn't fix it. I had to pull the battery out and back in to wake it up.

Verizon is sending me a new phone this week. Besides that everything else is great.

I called Verizon each time that this happened. On the third call they indicated that they are sending a new phone out without asking me to factory reset or anything else.

Take care.

17. redraider1

None

Mar 15, 2011
    I had it reboot about 4 times the past week i had it sitting on my floor next to me and looked over and saw the boot up screen. It didnt start happening until this week so I hope its not a sign of something to come.

18. jackson7840

jackson7840 Newbie
    None

Mar 22, 2010
    Male
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Wilsonville, OR
    This happened to me a few times on mine. Went to a store and had it replaced after working with support. They did have me do a factory reset before they would swap it FWIW..

19. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    If the phone is turning off and not powering on without a battery pull, it is because the battery is not seated right. It is causing the phone to think there is no battery in it. Pull the battery and when you put it back in make sure it is snug and fit correctly. Also make sure that the battery door is actually on correctly (snaped tight).

Like I said above had the same thing happen to me two days in a row, once I pulled the battery after the second time I made sure that it was fit correctly and snug. Haven't had the issue since then.

20. HTCTundaBow

HTCTundaBow Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Ga
    Last week, I was late for work because my TB shut off in the middle of the night(its my alarm). The next day I plugged up my alarm clock just in case, and sure enough, my TB was off when I woke up. . . Hasn't happened before, and hasn't happened since, but I'm going to take it in to see whats up.

21. srfsocal

srfsocal Lurker
    None

Apr 27, 2011
    My phone has done this twice in the middle of the night while I was using it as my alarm. It may be the alarm itself or maybe it as something to do with me leaving WiFi on . I have ad the phone for a month and it has only happened twice and I have only started recently using the phone as my alarm so i kind of feel ot has to do with the alarm but im not sure .

22. nateap87

nateap87 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    California
    getting a replacement for this. happened last night at the gym and this morning.

23. toyssan1

toyssan1 Newbie
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    I am getting reboots all the time...I just didn't notice.

I installed a term program so I can run uptime. I am in shock to find out that I can't get more than 6 hours before a reboot. It happens ALL THE TIME and I don't realize it unless I have been listing to pandora and it just shuts off. Since my last reboot I have been up for 14 minutes.

I am running the BAMF 1.5 remix, but I was having reboots previous to this.

Does anoyone have a rom, or some modification that will email me every time the phone boots? This would be interesting.

24. riosgeovanny

riosgeovanny Member
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    I just had 2 randome restarts within half an hour. I was using the buzzfeed app during both restarts...

25. watsonstudios

watsonstudios Newbie
    None

Nov 25, 2009
    I've had it restart a couple times in the last month but nothing serious. It hasn't completely shut down or anything, just a quick reboot, might happen once a week at most, not worth taking a chance at getting a refurb so I'll deal with it.