1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Has anyone noticed this with their reception?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by HER0, Sep 17, 2009.

1. HER0

HER0 Active Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Hi all,

I am not sure whether this is a common problem with phones or what, but with my Hero I find if my signal is poor/none, if I set the phone down on its own it suddenly pops back up a couple of bars.

Is the arial really that weak?

I did try a search beforehand btw!

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Wahwah

Wahwah Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Yep, that's the Hero right there.

On 2 bars or less it can drop to nothing at the drop of a hat.

3. computerboyo

computerboyo Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    im on tmobile and i always have 5 bars all the time but when i go to a friends house 5 mins away it always has no bars and says no service. so i am thinking it may be a tmob thing.

4. HER0

HER0 Active Member

Sep 17, 2009
    What about when you have next to no signal and you put the phone down? Does is pick up more bars once its been idle for a few seconds?

5. Wahwah

Wahwah Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I'm on Orange and have what you're describing, which is to say that some areas have poor reception and the phone can't maintain a connection.

I find that the phone can in the exact same spot have between no reception and half way reception. In a large town nearby I have full reception all the time.

Bit annoying.

6. computerboyo

computerboyo Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    not for me, if there is no signal and i put it down there is still no signal but when i go outside lots of text messages come through.

7. Jammin

Jammin New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Design / Marketing / Press
    Brighton
    I get this. I presume the antenna is in the base of the handset. When you hold it normally, with your hand around the base, it loses signal easily. I find myself half holding it just with my fingers a lot so the base is not covered. This is only an issue in my flat (basement) but still bloody annoying!

8. Snove

Snove New Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Hi, im using a unlocked version with telenor and i am experiancing low bars but no sudden loss off the signal. In norway btw.

9. unknown-singh

unknown-singh Active Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Technician
    London
    Im with Tmobile, and reception is very poor when im at home, 1 bar or even none at all sometime. is seems to be a tmobile reception issue.

10. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Designer
    UK
    you're dead on with that.

My old E71 was the same. You get used to holding the phone slightly differently.

11. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Yeah, the antenna is in the base and the instructions say you shouldn't hold the phone there :thinking:

I have also found T-Mobile to be really poor reception wise as well though which is why I am no longer with them.

12. HER0

HER0 Active Member

Sep 17, 2009
    The arial in the base makes sense...

Find it takes the p*ss a bit if the manual actually says don't hold it there :thinking:

13. eilz

eilz New Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Any mods to solder/hack a connector to add an external 3G antenna. I wanted to use a generic 3G antenna for a CAR to listen to internet radio without so many cut-outs along my journey, hoping an antenna would help.

Tags: