• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Has anyone replaced a charging port themselves?

UnplugMe

Sep 21, 2011
Northeast U.S.
I've begun to have charging problems, and discovered through trial/error that the charging cable must be bent downwards to keep a steady charge. I *think* somehow I bent the charging port "tongue." But I fear trying to re-bend it and snapping it off or something. I wonder how difficult it would be to replace--was checking out Incredible tear-down on youtube. Has anyone replaced their charging port, or does anyone know if it's a simple fix? I don't want a new phone just yet for several reasons. Otherwise the phone is working fine. (I am considering taking to Verizon for repair, but the phone is rooted and I don't want to open a can of worms.) Thanks!

Just an FYI for anyone with the same problem...repairsuniverse replied to me and the charging port does need soldering to the motherboard, so this is not an easy repair for a novice. It looks like I'll have to either pay for repair or get a new phone.

Hey, that's cool that they got back to you so quick. Too bad it was bad news though.:(

Upvote 0
This is one of the few threads I found when searching for help in fixing my own port.

I bought the replacement port on Amazon and used a Youtube video for instructions on installation.

Worked like a charm! All fixed and no soldering required!

For the HTC incredible or another phone? Since we now have conflicting reports as to whether there is soldering required.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones