1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Has anyone replaced their default camera app?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MikesTooLz, Mar 9, 2011.

1. MikesTooLz

None

Nov 24, 2010
    Computer Tech
    Miami, Florida
    There are a bunch of camera apps in the market place, is anyone using a different app from the market place as their default camera app?

I would like to find one with: Zoom, Geotagging, filters, timer,etc... all rolled into one.

Advertisement

2. MetroPOS

MetroPOS Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    South FL
    I've tried a couple free camera apps and on one of them it seemed like the app's zoom function worked...but it actually didn't. It would freeze whatever image the camera lens was currently displaying, and then zoom that in as if it were a still photo. It also froze and rebooted my phone a couple times. So I don't think our camera has built in zoom capabilities.

3. MetroPOS

None

Mar 4, 2011
    South FL
    I'm confused now about what our cameras can and can't do. Today I was using the Chase app and tried their little check deposit over cell phone gimmick, and when I was centering the check on the display and was ready to take the picture of the check, the app definitely made the camera zoom in/out. So maybe it is capable of zooming after all with the right app..

4. tiede

tiede Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Male
    curious, aren't we?
    Orlando, Fl
    That sounds awesome! I shall look into that!
    It wouldn't surprise me if it actually could work, but was just overlooked because it's a "Metro" phone... :mad:

5. MikesTooLz

None

Nov 24, 2010
    Computer Tech
    Miami, Florida
    its most likely just a digital zoom but thats still better than nothing.

6. MetroPOS

None

Mar 4, 2011
    South FL
    Ok I was wrong once again. It looks like I was confusing "focus" with zoom, cause after trying a few more camera apps, they were all able to do the same little "subtle" zoom effect that the Chase quick deposit app was doing. It doesn't actually zoom I discovered, it just focuses better to make the check sharper. I could tell that this was what was happening because when you use a camera app (or the phone's camera app) to focus, your display will do this thing where it looks like it's zooming in a tiny bit, and then all of a sudden it will jerk back. That's exactly what the Chase thing was doing...which is just focusing, not zooming.

Here are the results of all the camera apps I have tried:
    lgCamera -- no zoom
    eCamera -- no zoom
    Camera Advance -- no zoom
    Camera Magic -- only zooms at 1600x1200 and below, but it's not a real zoom...it just freezes the last thing you were aiming the camera at and lets you zoom in on the still, just like our phone's camera lets you zoom in on a picture after you take it

So there's no zoom capability on our camera after all. lgCamera is probably better than the phone's camera app btw. And while I was looking for camera apps, I found this app called WarpCam that is sick. It lets you do some crazy/trippy effects before you take a picture, but it locks some of the effects unless you get the pro version.

I already knew there was no zoom before I got this phone, plus most of the zooming abilities of phones I've used in the past have always looked horrible anyway, so it's not a big deal to me. I own this phone for LTE and little else

7. JWhipple

JWhipple Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    Try Camera 360 - although I haven't gone through ALL the features, I did verify that it works on the Indulge. I got a warning when I first launched it that the phone wasn't on the "confirmed to be working" list, but everything did work that I tried.

8. wagonis

wagonis Member
    None

Feb 1, 2011
    I personally like the Samsung camera app, but I still don't see how they either forgot and decided to leave out zoom.

9. JWhipple

None

Jan 5, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    I'm reinstalling Camera360 right now, I'll test and let everyone know how it does.

Something else I'm interested in trying is the Samsung camera app from one of the US Galaxy S phones - I may play with that tonight.

10. JWhipple

None

Jan 5, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    WOW, Ok, so, I admit it - I was wrong! I don't see any Zoom functionality in Camera 360 either...

Hmmmph - go figure? I'll see if I can download a Galaxy S ROM and try installing the camera from that

11. gus4269

gus4269 Newbie
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    I work Most of the time
    South Florida
    Any of them have geotagging? zoom you can do on your pc. unless you have a lense that moves in and out all you're getting is a digital zoom anyway.... (making pixes bigger). which your pc can do better than most camaras anyway.

12. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    anyone try camera zoom fx?
    I know its a paid app but I have a optimus, though I am thinking of going to the indulge for the 4g, this app will zoom on my phone.

13. ickster

ickster Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    N. Texas
    I got camera zoom fx and have not been able to make the zoom work. The only zoom I've had work is viginette. It's weird though.Sliding the bar to zoom the picture is essentially taking the picture.
    Edit I also tried camera 360. But it kept telling me the screen size was wrong and closing itself.

smotpoker likes this.
  14. condorloco

condorloco Member
    None

Apr 15, 2011
    I tried uva silent widget camera, a free app, and the zoom works in this app. It is only digital zoom but is better than the original camera app.

BlueMuscles likes this.