1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

has anyone tested the proximity sensor?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lefecious, May 18, 2011.

1. lefecious

lefecious Newbie

I put my finger over where I think it is, and it doesn't seem to lock the screen. I've only made one phone call with the phone so far, so I can't comment on how well it prevents face dialing, but shouldn't it lock the screen if I cover the sensor?

Or is it so advanced that it can tell the difference between my finger and my cheek?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar

It's designed to only work when on calls or if the app accesses it which a couple do. When your on a call should be the only reason it's up to your face.

3. lefecious

lefecious Newbie

Thanks. I did make some more phone calls and I could see out of the corner of my eye that they screen would instantly go black when it went to my cheek and instantly come back as soon as I pulled the phone away. Awesome.

Also, I happened to make these calls outside in the bright sunlight and if you hold it in the light at the right angle you can see the proximity sensors. They are two little dots just to the left of the Virgin Mobile logo. After seeing that I realized that I wasn't even covering the sensor with my fingers yesterday when I was trying to test it.

4. cutterjohn

cutterjohn Android Enthusiast

Yep, my guess is that an app has to specifically poll that sensor, probably by just implementing a builtin android API for anything to happen when the sensor is triggered.

e.g. nettalk is annoying because it does NOT use this functionality and I've managed to accidentally disconnect calls before because of this... v. I know that it works for the builtin calling app/functionality...

LG Optimus V Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews