1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Has anyone tried mhl->hdmi out ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by you2, Nov 24, 2011.

1. you2

you2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Has anyone tried connecting an mhl cable to tv or monitor ? If so what did it display as (1080p or 720p) and did it mirror or did you have to run a video player to get output ?

Advertisement

2. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    Sigh....you're going to make me get up aren't you......?

Ok, it doesn't work with my setup, but by my own admission my TV is old by HDTV standards. It doesn't have HDMI compatibility thus I was using an HDMI to Component cable. I let my parents have my last HDMI cable which I could've tested on my 21" TV in my weight room. So I'm going to say that the HDMI to component is the problem since that cable doesn't even let my laptop communicate with my TV. Damn I need to get a new TV....

3. thornev

thornev Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 20, 2011
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Two words, TxGoat: Black Friday. =;-)

4. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    Yes, I found an HDMI cable! Ok so the good news, it works. The bad news is I tried playing some 720p content and it was dropping audio every 10 seconds. I figured the signal is too much for the little converter to stream. I was using this to connect. My TV that has HDMI inputs is 720p so it should've had no problem with the connection. It is kind of cool seeing my phone's home screen on the TV, granted it's only a 21". I streamed some previews from "Watch" in the apps, and the video looked like VHS quality. Don't buy this thing if you're thinking of turning your phone into a movie-media center. You're better off watching 720p content on your phone IMO.

5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    And you were supplying USB power to the adapter while using it?

Most issues do go away with power to the adapter.

Sites are bragging that you can use various models without power on the Evo 3D because the port supplies plenty - that's nonsense, honestly.

BTW - Monoprice carries them for half that - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10833&cs_id=1083314&p_id=8675

Most of us went with the one sold on the T-Mobile web for 20 bucks - it's under Sensation accessories, haven't checked the price lately.

Lots of us reporting good results with this on the 3D - your Rezound ought do as well, imo.

6. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    On my Sensation's MHL device I use for USB power supply the USB plug of my TV.

Works well and should do with the Rezound too :)

Harry

7. Icyman

Icyman Newbie
    None

Nov 22, 2011
    I ordered the Monoprice adapter. I should have it by next week. I'll give feed back then.

EarlyMon likes this.
  8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Very good point!

Yep, some TVs have enough oomph there, some don't, so it's best to give that a go. :)

9. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    The Rezound's USB cable doesn't fit into the charge plug for the MHL but I used the charge plug from the Thunderbolt and it showed a charge on the Rezound. All other content shows fine, but 720p content drops audio and streaming of 480p video, while there's no drop in audio, the image isn't really anything to write home about (or post on the forums about, as it were :p ).

10. SamXp

SamXp Android Enthusiast
    None

I was really impressed with the HDMI output. I am using the hTC MHL to HDMI adapter, but I'm sure the one on monoprice is the same thing. It didn't display a picture at all on my Vizio LCD until I plugged power up to the power port on the adapter.
    Once it connected, the picture was great! I'll have to double check whether it displays 720p or 1080p, appropriately. But I tested both 720 and 1080 videos and they both looked great. No audio issues. I only played it for a few minutes, though.

11. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None

Hmm, that's odd that I'm having audio dropout but you're not. What source was your video from? I was playing from a 720p video and I had to use a 3rd party app to play the video. Maybe it's the Codec that's being used. I'll have to try Youtube's 720p/1080p options to see if maybe it's the source. The picture still wasn't as good on the TV as it seems to be on the phone, which is definitely a reversal of the norm.

12. SamXp

SamXp Android Enthusiast
    None

The 720p was a torrent download. I was using RockPlayer Lite to play it.

13. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None

I'll have to try that player. I was using Kascend video.

Oh and as someone else asked earlier, the display is mirrored. I'm not sure if there's a way to disable it, which I doubt even exists.

14. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA

Hmmmm. I wonder if the adapter is flaky or if there's a handshake being lost with the TV (flaky HDMI cable?)?

15. Blackthanos

Blackthanos Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 15, 2011
    Did we ever figure out why TxGoat was losing audio when he played 1080 or 720P content? Was there a cable found that worked 100% of the time to play HD content from the ReZound to an HD TV? I'm looking at HD computer monitors and if there is no cord that's pretty much guaranteed to work I don't think I'm going to bother with it. I have been doing a lot via online sites for the holidays and I don't really have it in me right now to wait for shipment, use the item, see it's not working right, then send it back and start the process all over again.

16. ShanDroyd

ShanDroyd Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    Male
    transportation
    :)I purchased the official HTC MHL adapter at RadioShack for around 30.00. :rolleyes:It worked the first time I plugged it in, then after removing it,:thinking: tried again, and it has never worked since.:mad: I don't even get an indicator on the phone screen saying it's in HDMI mode. any suggestions?:thinking:

17. Icyman

Icyman Newbie
    None

Nov 22, 2011
    my adapter from Monoprice, works perfectly every time.

I may be mistaken but I think it sends the signal to the HDTV as 720p only even if the format being played is 1080p.

I had audio cut out also. it was the movie. too high of bit rate. It was odd.

I think that it is important to verify the format of your media files to verify it complies with compatibility of the Rezound. I think it is amazing that this little phone can play HD on my TV when only a few years ago my MOBO with on board graphics had problems.

Side note: have you seen the complaints about the Galaxy Nexus? LMFAO!!! Looks like the display wasn't all that, after all.

18. leroybrute

leroybrute Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 16, 2011
    whatever they let me do
    wherever I can
    I got the hTC/MHL adapter for 20 bucks from tmobile. I have an LG led and it works great on it. I just go into hdmi video settings on the tv and set to 1080p instead of auto and movies look great. On auto I don't think the tv switches proper.

19. Blackthanos

Blackthanos Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 15, 2011
    Hmm, the next time I pass by Tmo I will pop in and take a look. Odd that some people use this with no problem at all and others either get lack luster video quality or audio cut outs.

20. leroybrute

None

Nov 16, 2011
    whatever they let me do
    wherever I can
    I wonder if its a quality issue with different brands.? I wonder if the sensation 4g has issues with it. I also use mobo player rather than the stock app.

21. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    For the record, mine's an HTC branded adapter.

22. leroybrute

None

Nov 16, 2011
    whatever they let me do
    wherever I can
    You get rid of that bug it might work better. :p

23. PaulQ

PaulQ Member
    None

May 25, 2011
    No one has mentioned any power issues. I just got the Monoprice adapter and it works great when I have it plugged in via USB power cable. The phone shows an orange power light as if it is being charged. However, it is NOT charging. The battery discharges while you are playing video.

I anticipate maybe getting one hour tops before I have a dead phone. No movies.

Is this just me?

24. leroybrute

None

Nov 16, 2011
    whatever they let me do
    wherever I can
    I have the hTC mhl adapter from tmobile and I noticed sometimes it charges and sometimes it doesn't while playing a movie. It seems to charge it fine while not playing a video though. Also some complain of poor quality picture on tv screen. I have perfect audio video with my highend cable, but I used a cheaper quality hdmi the other day and it was a mess. So be sure to use a nice hdmi. As far as charging while watching a video I don't know what to think.
    I seem to use about 30% of the standard battery for a full movie.

25. rustyhokie

rustyhokie Member
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    I have a mhl adapter from Menotek while it works to play video it does not charge the Rezound. Which is a bummer does any of the devices actually charge while connected?

Tags: