• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has anyone tried these cases?

I just need to find a horizontal velcro case with a soft lining. I think that will suffice for me, but yeah, there's nothing wrong with being extra careful. Whatever floats your boat! It's funny how the case situation has become complicated due to the "magnet" issue. I bet the OTA update rumored to arrive on December 11th will allow us to disable auto-docking, and we'll then be able to use magnetic cases. However, I probably would still stick with velcro when all is said is done. Who knows what the magnet could be doing even if it's not launching any type of "mode" on the phone. :p

Upvote 0
I just need to find a horizontal velcro case with a soft lining. I think that will suffice for me, but yeah, there's nothing wrong with being extra careful. Whatever floats your boat! It's funny how the case situation has become complicated due to the "magnet" issue. I bet the OTA update rumored to arrive on December 11th will allow us to disable auto-docking, and we'll then be able to use magnetic cases. However, I probably would still stick with velcro when all is said is done. Who knows what the magnet could be doing even if it's not launching any type of "mode" on the phone. :p

Actually, the OTA for Dec 11 already lists the magnet issue as one that will be fixed. I read this when I first read that first leaked...then have seen it mentioned several times since. So I'd guess if you find a case you like with a magnet...go ahead and get it as it will work soon.

Upvote 0
I do like the " look" of the case you are talking about. That case was my initial choice. I may still go for it.

Something else I like about this case is it just "feels" good...sort of like it was made just for the Droid, but it was not. And the Droid fits perfectly inside...just right dimensions and there is no friction getting the phone out quickly, which is what bugs me about many cases. I just want push the phone up from the bottom and this case facilitates that just fine.

Upvote 0
Actually, the OTA for Dec 11 already lists the magnet issue as one that will be fixed. I read this when I first read that first leaked...then have seen it mentioned several times since. So I'd guess if you find a case you like with a magnet...go ahead and get it as it will work soon.

Yes, I knew that. I meant the way the fix will be implemented will probably be that we would have the ability to turn off auto-docking (i.e. there would be an option that says disable auto-dock). That's the only thing I can think of, as obviously, a software update cannot change the physical positioning of the magnets in the phone. I'm just speculating.. :D

Upvote 0
Something else I like about this case is it just "feels" good...sort of like it was made just for the Droid, but it was not. And the Droid fits perfectly inside...just right dimensions and there is no friction getting the phone out quickly, which is what bugs me about many cases. I just want push the phone up from the bottom and this case facilitates that just fine.

Not to be a pain, but do you by chance have any personal pictures of the case? If not, no worries!

Upvote 0
Yes, I knew that. I meant the way the fix will be implemented will probably be that we would have the ability to turn off auto-docking (i.e. there would be an option that says disable auto-dock). That's the only thing I can think of, as obviously, a software update cannot change the physical positioning of the magnets in the phone. I'm just speculating.. :D

Sorry...see what you mean now. I'm wondering, though...an OTA upgrade can do a lot more than just software...think firmware. I've seen some pretty miraculous fixes on BlackBerries via OTA over the years. They could possibly just eliminate the effect that magnets have on the phone via a firmware change.

Upvote 0
I am going to jump the gun and get the shell / holster tonight from online and use my corporate discount. AFAICT it will be fine, and since I bought a 3 pack of the VZW screen protectors (static, non-privacy type) I feel that I am good to go.

That with the home dock and I should be all set...

Especially if it comes off as easily as everyone says it does....then I an use the car dock and home dock without issues.

Upvote 0
You're not a pain at all...I'll try to find time tomorrow to post some on Flickr and link to them from here. It does, however, look just like the photo on VerizonWireless.com.

Here are a couple of close-up pics of the Shell/Holster Combo (well, the shell anyway) inside the Verizon leather case. It's a perfect fit, even with the shell and not too tight. Amazingly, I guess because the elastic on each side, with the naked Droid in the same leather case it also fits perfect.

When you go to the Flickr link click on either of the two thumbnails and then select "All Sizes" so you can view at full size.

Droid Case Pics

Upvote 0

WAIT! Unless I'm being ADD I don't think this is correct. The bulletin that I read lists it on the first page as FYI not as something to be fixed.

The note is for VZN employees so they are aware when someone has the issue to not replace the phone but sell them the right case.

So far the people I've talked to in store haven't read the bulletin and were unaware of the issue until I told them.

If I'm missing something please point to page #.

thx

Upvote 0
Here are a couple of close-up pics of the Shell/Holster Combo (well, the shell anyway) inside the Verizon leather case. It's a perfect fit, even with the shell and not too tight. Amazingly, I guess because the elastic on each side, with the naked Droid in the same leather case it also fits perfect.

When you go to the Flickr link click on either of the two thumbnails and then select "All Sizes" so you can view at full size.

Droid Case Pics

Thanks for posting up some pictures. I see that the Droid fits perfectly in that case! I'm not going to be using the Droid with the shell, however, but it should still fit fine. At first glance, it seemed the interior was not flat and had some "grooves" in it, but that's probably the "pattern" of the nylon threads. I see your response to e39e60 that the interior is smooth. Therefore, if the interior is indeed smooth and "flat" when you run your finger across it, this is what I am getting! :D

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting up some pictures. I see that the Droid fits perfectly in that case! I'm not going to be using the Droid with the shell, however, but it should still fit fine. At first glance, it seemed the interior was not flat and had some "grooves" in it, but that's probably the "pattern" of the nylon threads. I see your response to e39e60 that the interior is smooth. Therefore, if the interior is indeed smooth and "flat" when you run your finger across it, this is what I am getting! :D

The Droid, with our with out the shell, fits perfectly. The interior is totally nylon on both sides and flap and is VERY smooth

Upvote 0
WAIT! Unless I'm being ADD I don't think this is correct. The bulletin that I read lists it on the first page as FYI not as something to be fixed.

The note is for VZN employees so they are aware when someone has the issue to not replace the phone but sell them the right case.

So far the people I've talked to in store haven't read the bulletin and were unaware of the issue until I told them.

thx

I see what you mean. Hopefully, they'll fix the issue via an OTA update, but who knows. I would think that the sales reps would be in the know about the "magnet" issue by now; oh well!

Upvote 0

thx

Wow...you may be correct! I can't even find the OTA thing I read (it showed actual Verizon pages) but I thought it addressed the magnet issue as one being fixed. If you're reading differently, then you're probably correct. Sorry for the bad info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones