1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Has anyone used Chromecast with the Motorway G?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jmcook79, Jan 28, 2014.

1. jmcook79

jmcook79 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 1, 2013
    Male
    Retail
    Florida
    If so would keeping it plugged in to the charger for hours at a time while watching Netflix be detrimental to the phone or battery? I'm concerned about overheating.

I'm trying to decide between a Chromebook, another laptop, my phone with Chromecast, a tablet with Chromecast, or a set top box.

Decisions decisions lol

Advertisement

2. saptech

saptech Android Expert

I do not have a Chromecast but thinking about getting one. Using it with the phone would be my last choice, because of such small screen for these old eyes.

In your situation, I would either go for a laptop/CB or tablet to use with chromecast.

3. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    I use it on a 52" HD screen. I don't know your point about phone screen size. The issue I have with it is that it is limited in what it will support. U-Tube tutorials are nice.

Perhaps you should install it and see what you think.

... Thom

4. jmcook79

None

Jan 1, 2013
    Male
    Retail
    Florida
    Well I think a tablet is kind of redundant in my case. I would never take it with me when I go out since my phone serves me fine when I'm out and about. I only stream video at home besides the occasional YouTube video on my phone.

It's just hard coming from a traditional laptop to a Chromebook so I was considering just using my phone and Chromecast to save money. I guess I'll give the Chromebook a whole week before I make any decisions.

5. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    Chromecast should not affect battery life. Essentially, you take the video you want and cast it to your tv. Chromecast is powered and pulling the video itself from the web so at that point, your phone/tablet is merely a remote. At least that's my experience.
    Have a Chromebook as well and love it, but it's more a traveling laptop while I use a Windows lappy as my main driver.
    As an aside, we have a Roku and love it, use it everyday (we don't have cable so streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime is key).

6. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    ... yes .when you setup CCast you configure it to interact directly with your WiFi network (or one of your WiFi networks). When you then go to use it you find something you want to display on the TV and then tell it to start the TV to WiFi connection. It only displays the progress bare and controls on your phone.

Some shorter TV selections on YouTube are displayed at the same time on both.

... Thom

7. jmcook79

None

Jan 1, 2013
    Male
    Retail
    Florida
    Interesting, now that I know it doesn't affect battery life I may just have to give it a try! For $35 it's seems like a good deal!

8. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    It is a great deal!
    For whatever reason we have a TV at work and at some point if we're talking about a YT video and want to show we're all capable of doing it since I have an Android, boss has an iPad and others have iPhones, they all work fine. :)

Motorola Moto G (1st Gen)

The first generation Moto G was the released in November of 2013. The phone was the first in Motorola's new mid-range line that targeted the sweet spot between specs and pricing. It originally built for emerging markets, but also saw success as a low-priced Android phone option in other parts of the world. The Moto G 1st Gen features Features 4.5-inch LCD display, Snapdragon 400 processor, 16GB storage, 1GB RAM. 5MP rear/1.3MP front facing cameras, and a removable 2,070 mAh battery.