• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has anyone's screen actually scratched?

MrTissues

May 9, 2010
I was planning on ordering a Steinheil before I got my phone so that I could put it on as soon as it came out of the box. However, because they have been out of stock forever I can't do that.

Has anyone that is not using a screen protector actually scratched their screen? I know that another reason is fingerprints but until I get my Steinheil will I need to worry about scratches, even small ones (like those from jean pockets).

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Mine scratched pretty easily. The first two days I got it I was waiting for my screen protector and case to come in so it was naked. I left it in my pocket with absolutely nothing else in it. No keys, change, or whatever. I got a very light scratch. Nothing you can feel with your fingernail but Im kind of OCD so it did bother me. I would at the very least put a screen protector on. You got nothing to lose. It can only help

Upvote 0
Maybe it's just me... but I exercise a bit more caution with my delicate devices and would not stick them into pants pockets willy nilly. And yes, cell phones with large glass screens, regardless how resistant they may advertise to be, are definitely delicate. A case with a holster/clip/pouch that protects the face of the device, is the only way to go with any smartphone device.

But then too, I also change my motor oil every 3k miles, and rotate the tires every 5/6k miles.

Upvote 0
An excellent example of how stupid these videos are. The guy applies zero pressure to the screen.

Time to get off of your soapbox with your scratch vendetta and go back to lurking. This video pretty clearly demonstrates pressure to the screen. I, for one, do not care about your bad luck.

Upvote 0
My screen is fine, but the rest if the phone didn't fare so well after two drops in the driveway in the same day. Im still in my 30 days so I was thinking about adding best buys $ 10 a month insurance and getting a new one in replacement. Any thoughts on this? How hard would it be to switch devices, settings and all? Its easy on a blackberry, but this is my first droid rodeo...

Upvote 0
You cant tell me theres "not one once" of pressure applied to this screen...all that abuse and all it takes is a single grain of sand to scratch these screens.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4320/mov00856.mp4

Off-Topic, but what kind of knife is that?

On-topic, I think there is a lot of exaggeration on how easily the Inc's scratch. I've had phones that didn't have gorilla glass that took years, before they had any scratches.

Upvote 0
My screen is fine, but the rest if the phone didn't fare so well after two drops in the driveway in the same day. Im still in my 30 days so I was thinking about adding best buys $ 10 a month insurance and getting a new one in replacement. Any thoughts on this? How hard would it be to switch devices, settings and all? Its easy on a blackberry, but this is my first droid rodeo...
Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Upvote 0
Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?
Just make sure the insurance covers cosmetic damages.

As for switching, settings won't transfer and you will have to re-do them. Contacts and apps should be fine though (you will need to have an app that stores your current ones onto a server, such as Appbrain)

Upvote 0
I carry mine only with the black and red case with no screen protector.
Its usually in my pocket anyway.

I have actually tried scratching it on purpose... to show my buddies how resistant it is... i used keys and pennies and a paper clip... I have applied pretty decent pressure and not one scratch on the screen... I easily wiped off the residue left from the scratching ( don't get me wrong i was shitting bricks..)
It's only fallen once at the Bar, and no dents nor scratches.

from my personal experience i think the phones screen is very resistant. well from what i can see... no scratches or anything.

I love my phone so much <3

Upvote 0
Funny, could scratch today I suppose but I've been carrying mine in my pocket for over a month now and I've not had a scratch one. I'm told that the key to scratches is not how sharp and object is but hardness..the screen is made of material that is harder than most metal objects. Never hurts to be careful with your stuff though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones