• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has gingerbread improved desire hd battery life?

I'm with El Presidente on this one:

5cead041-8556-44b5.jpg

I still maintain that its easily possible to get this kind of life out the our DHDs by being proactive about app monitoring and using the tools available to everyone within the phones as standard. I'd be interested to know of all the people complaining of crap life which of those maintain their laptop/pc on a regular basis with disc defrag, cleanup and registry optimisation? These little palm sized wonders should be treated with equal enthusiasm.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you get to that screenshot above that shows what has used the battery? And presumably to 're-set' it so that you can see how much you are getting, do you just turn the phone off and back on and that re-sets that time usage setting?

thanks

Upvote 0
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you get to that screenshot above that shows what has used the battery? And presumably to 're-set' it so that you can see how much you are getting, do you just turn the phone off and back on and that re-sets that time usage setting?

thanks

Not a dumb question at all.

Settings -> About Phone -> Battery -> Battery Use.

To reset the time usage, charge it for a couple of minutes, then take it off charge again. I don't believe turning it on or off again changes that figure.

Upvote 0
Not a dumb question at all.

Settings -> About Phone -> Battery -> Battery Use.

To reset the time usage, charge it for a couple of minutes, then take it off charge again. I don't believe turning it on or off again changes that figure.

Spot on the on/off again won't change anything as it just starts counting from when you remove it from the charger. So to get an accurate idea install Current Widget from the market and plonk it on your homescreen. Put your phone on charge and as soon as the marker hits 0mA unplug and leave it and use your phone as normal then as soon as you hit 15% go to the above setting to see how long your phones been on without charging.

To take the screenshot though without root you'd need to use the android sdk and use your computer. Guide for which is here: Taking Screenshots on HTC Desire

Or root your phone and download screenshot app :D lol
HTH

Reactions: goalc
Upvote 0
Do you know what the difference is between the setting called 'Dialer' and 'Voice Calls'? I would have thought they were the same, but in the example screenshot above they have different values...??

Dialer is what's used to dial calls and voice calls is the actual call time on that particular charge.

It's discussed a little -

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire-hd/337948-battery-readings-since-2-3-3-update-dialer.html

It's not known why it appears to be using so much battery in GB.

Reactions: goalc
Upvote 0
Uh oh, bad news on the battery front....

I upgraded to 2.3.3 this morning, fully charged it at about 11.30am and the battery is now flat (6.5 hours later!). I sent about 5 texts, made no calls, didnt browse the internet, and my email is set to check for updates once an hour :eek:

I did notice that the 'best wi-fi performance' setting was selected, so I dont know if this has had an effect (and I dont know if this was in 2.2 and if it was if I had it selected).

This is not good news, as getting better battery life by moving to GB was my main reason for doing it.

Has anyone got any ideas what might be causing this? Do I need to re-condition the battery again?

ready to throw it in the bin at the moment... :mad:

Upvote 0
I did notice that the 'best wi-fi performance' setting was selected, so I dont know if this has had an effect (and I dont know if this was in 2.2 and if it was if I had it selected)

Yes. When I have this set (normally at work), it can eat up as much as 1% every ten minutes even when not doing anything. Turn it off, see if that makes a difference.

Upvote 0
Well, I've done several tests with mine the last few days. I've been texting less and noticed that with Wifi set to switch off after 15mins, I've been going from 7am to 2pm and dropping to about 80-85%, on Froyo with probably more usage I was getting 70% so don't think much difference.

Went to a customer site yesterday afternoon. Was on about 85% at 2pm, was texting a bit, browsing net a bit until 5pm and emailing missus for hour and it dropped to 45% by 5.30. I then had bluetooth on for 30mins while in the car and a quick 5min call to missus. Got home and it hit 30% and power saver :(

Also noticed that power was the same whether Wifi was on or no

Upvote 0
Uh oh, bad news on the battery front....

I upgraded to 2.3.3 this morning, fully charged it at about 11.30am and the battery is now flat (6.5 hours later!). I sent about 5 texts, made no calls, didnt browse the internet, and my email is set to check for updates once an hour :eek:

I did notice that the 'best wi-fi performance' setting was selected, so I dont know if this has had an effect (and I dont know if this was in 2.2 and if it was if I had it selected).

This is not good news, as getting better battery life by moving to GB was my main reason for doing it.

Has anyone got any ideas what might be causing this? Do I need to re-condition the battery again?

ready to throw it in the bin at the moment... :mad:

Could be conflicting with another app. I was using Green Power to manage my wireless/ data connections and after GB update had the same issue as you, getting no more than 7 hours out of a full charge an no use (ie overnight). I have removed the GP app and am now 2ds and 35 mins since last charge and medium usage.

Upvote 0
Could be conflicting with another app. I was using Green Power to manage my wireless/ data connections and after GB update had the same issue as you, getting no more than 7 hours out of a full charge an no use (ie overnight). I have removed the GP app and am now 2ds and 35 mins since last charge and medium usage.

I'll have a try and see if turning any apps off makes a difference, although I dont run that many that are on all the time such as GP

What I did notice was that turning off the 'best wifi perfomance' setting in the advance wi-fi settings made a huge difference (thanks El Presidente!) - I am now at about 18 hours and at 20% battery left since my charge, whereas before when I had the best performance selected (which it turned on by default) my battery was dead after about 6 1/2 hours, and that was with the phone being hardly used.... its still not great but much better with that off

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/htc-desire-hd/343466-andriod-clock-10-mins-fast.html

There's a thread about that.

And goalc, what were you getting out of the battery before 2.3.3?

before 2.3 I would get about 12 hours use before the battery was down at 20% approx (I charged it over night, and by 9pm every night it was in power save mode without fail).

I was on 2.2 (I never got the pulled 2.2.1 upgrade) and I didnt use the phone during the day much (as I use my work phone for calls in the day), so only used it for texts (approx 20 text a day) and my pop3 emailed checked for emails once a day. When I was home in the evenings I would do more web browsing etc and a lot more texts, but even then the battery still seemed to drain at a constant rate during the day no matter how much/how little I use it.

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S and her phone will last for about 2 days before it needs charging, and she uses hers more in the day then I do mine, so that really bugs me .... the good thing is it feels like its made by Fisher Price and is quite laggy, so I can keep reminding her of that :p

Upvote 0
For those who believe they have battery issues please download CurrentWidget and place it on your homescreen.

I'm guessing most of you just wait to see the green led appear right? As much as you think this should only appear when the battery has charged 100% it isn't always the case.

CurrentWidget shows you how many mA are being charged to the battery and only when this reaches 0ma is the battery fully charged. You can then also using this widget check to make sure that even when your phone shows 0mA that the battery isn't at fault by ensuring the Voltage value is approx 4.20V to 4.25V at 100% anything less is a faulty battery.

However should the green led appear before the 0mA marker this would mean that your batterystats are out of sync and your phone needs calibrating.

This can be done through ClockwordMod Recovery/RootExplorer or an app on the market called "Battery Calibration" from N

Upvote 0
Spent so much time tweaking mine and trying to get a good setup to have bluetooth only running when I need it, I decided to leave as is.

Turned off mobile data, setup WiFi to time out after 15mins and I had 75% still after about 12hours, before I was getting that after only about 6 hours. I then thought ok, I'll leave bluetooth on all the time and see what happens, and I still got the same 12hours yesterday so having bluetooth on, obviously doesn't make much difference.

Upvote 0
For those who believe they have battery issues please download CurrentWidget and place it on your homescreen.

I'm guessing most of you just wait to see the green led appear right? As much as you think this should only appear when the battery has charged 100% it isn't always the case.

CurrentWidget shows you how many mA are being charged to the battery and only when this reaches 0ma is the battery fully charged. You can then also using this widget check to make sure that even when your phone shows 0mA that the battery isn't at fault by ensuring the Voltage value is approx 4.20V to 4.25V at 100% anything less is a faulty battery.

However should the green led appear before the 0mA marker this would mean that your batterystats are out of sync and your phone needs calibrating.

This can be done through ClockwordMod Recovery/RootExplorer or an app on the market called "Battery Calibration" from N

Upvote 0
I can't get current widget to display results in the status bar - it keeps a log which I can open and look at, but are real-time stats meant to be displayed in the status bar? If not, is there an app that will do this?

It's not displayed on the status bar, but via the widget. Hasn't the widget appeared?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones