• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Has "GPS Signal lost" bug been fixed...

erisuser1

Android Expert
Nov 11, 2009
... in any GB or Froyo ROM yet?

It's the one remaining issue that makes me want to ditch GSB in favor of an Eclair ROM for the Eris.

I don't use Navigation that much; but when you want it to work... well, you want it to work.

Tried Nav this am on a 1 HR drive. 20 or so minutes in to the drive, and "GPS signal lost!".
Tried to run GPS Status, and the phone wedged - 3 minutes later the android layer restarted. (GSB v3.6, btw)

Meh.

Does Nav work as well as it does in the Stock Eclair (2.1) releases in any dev Froyo or GB ROM?

eu1

It's hard to remember now, but I think I recall that I never had problems with GSB and navigation/GPS apps (I used Runkeeper to track a several hour run, for example) back when it was based on CM7.0. I think 2.8 was the last version on that release.

I keep having issues with calendar notifications with Eclair based ROMs or I would just run xtrSENSE exclusively. I'm close to doing so as it is (right now I am on GSB 3.6 and I'm enjoying great battery life and stable calendar notifications, but I don't navigate with the phone that often anymore.)

Upvote 0
thanks for the reply, doogald.

LOL, maybe it's just time to "go back to stock" - kinda.

E.g., take the March 2011 2.1 OTA, root it, overflash the CFSv9 kernel, add some minimal OC'ing mods, remove some bloatware, try to remember whose cache2cache works on 2.1, yadda yadda yadda... and call it a day.

I was exaggerating when I said "one remaining issue", I suppose. It seems fairly common during my recent usage of GSB 3.x ROMs to wedge the phone. I don't get a complete reboot, but a restart of the entire Android layer occurs.

While driving this morning, I actually wedged the phone twice in less than one hour - once with the GPS thing, and again when I decided to stream some music (iheartRadio - GPS/Nav not running).

Rats, I really do like Gingerbread - but it nags at me to know I wouldn't have these problems on a near-stock (but rooted) ROM.

eu1

[ Edit ]PS - I just looked at a different thread over on XDA, and it reminded me of something else that's whack about GSB 3.x - the incredible camera shutter lag. Pretty much makes the camera useless for anything but still life shots. ("Say cheese! Wait, keep saying cheese!, No, really, wait, keep saying cheese!.... Oh, never mind.")

Upvote 0
I actually used Nav on my phone to my summer house today (just to test - I could drive with my eyes closed) and Maps did shut down, but it kept navigating me as I drove. I restarted Nav after a stop and it worked fine for the next 45 minutes.

Phone was pretty darned hot, though.

Also, Nav was pretty unresponsive when I arrived, though that may be because I was using SetCPU with a temp profile to run the phone at 480 max.

Upvote 0
... in any GB or Froyo ROM yet?

It's the one remaining issue that makes me want to ditch GSB in favor of an Eclair ROM for the Eris.

I don't use Navigation that much; but when you want it to work... well, you want it to work.

Tried Nav this am on a 1 HR drive. 20 or so minutes in to the drive, and "GPS signal lost!".
Tried to run GPS Status, and the phone wedged - 3 minutes later the android layer restarted. (GSB v3.6, btw)

Meh.

Does Nav work as well as it does in the Stock Eclair (2.1) releases in any dev Froyo or GB ROM?

eu1

I'm having the exact same problems all of a sudden...on xtr 5. Seems to restart if I'm running above 710, at 710 it just does the freezing thing, but continues to 'navigate' and give me voice prompts.

Upvote 0
I'm having the exact same problems all of a sudden...on xtr 5. Seems to restart if I'm running above 710, at 710 it just does the freezing thing, but continues to 'navigate' and give me voice prompts.

At this point in time, it seems like part of the problem is due to recent changes in Google Maps (v5.6.x and up?), but I suppose there could be dependencies of the bug in the framework libraries (or dog forbid clock rate), so that only certain devices & ROM versions are affected.

I get your point though - xtrSense is pretty close to the stock Eris Eclair release (5.01 -> March 2011 OTA)

There is a post over on XDA in the GSB thread where the user recovered the Maps 5.5.0 apk from a backup, and claimed that solved his troubles on GSB v3.5.

I might go that route myself - in that same thread, there are also reports.that the newest Maps release (5.7.?) has the same problems.

eu1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones