• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

has Handcent SMS been hogging up battery life recently for anyone else/

tracerit

Android Enthusiast
May 7, 2010
Orange County, CA
I recently did two things, update my EVO to 2.2 and updated Handcent SMS to the newest version. Lately i've noticed the last two-three days that when I sleep, my battery would drain 8-10% over 6 hours instead of the usual 2%. According to Spare Parts, Handcent SMS stands out by a large margin in the Battery History > Partial Wake Usage stat.

yeah, System Panel doesn't show it being an issue either, but Spare Parts does. I find Spare Parts to be more accurate in showing what's being used. For some reason System Panel doesn't get it right... System Panel has a good current use feature (its History feature isn't that great imo). while Spare Parts has a good what was used the most.

Upvote 0
Has any resolution to this issue been made?

I'm running an evo with a 3.70 based rom & handcent. If the popup option is enabled (even with nothing enabled under popup settings), the partial wakelock occurs from the time a text is received to the time I actually take the phone out of sleep mode.

Googling this issue reveals many others are experiencing similar results with this enabled.

3.5.2 is the latest version of handcent which is what I have installed. And as with others, spareparts shows this to exhibit the above behavior.

For those not experiencing this issue, make a note of the partial wake time in SP for handcent. Enable popups then send yourself a text while the phone is in sleep. Wait a min or two, then review the partial wake time for handcent. Instead of increasing perhaps a second or two, it'll increase the entire time waited between receiving and reading the message.

Upvote 0
For those not experiencing this issue, make a note of the partial wake time in SP for handcent. Enable popups then send yourself a text while the phone is in sleep. Wait a min or two, then review the partial wake time for handcent. Instead of increasing perhaps a second or two, it'll increase the entire time waited between receiving and reading the message.
I replicated the above last night and there was only a slight increase in usage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones