• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root has ocing broke my Droid

I have been flashing phones for some time. I started out on my Omnia, never had any hardware issues what so ever. Each rom gave me new features and higher performance. Ok so now I have my Droid and it is actually the second, I bricked the first flashing the sbf file. Followed all instructions just failed big time, but that was months ago. Now I have used roms from just about every dev, some have been good some great. One thing I keep reading about is how no two droids are alike. Aren't these devices manufactored the same? Like how some kernals will work on one droid but not another. I used to be able to run ulv and lv kernals but now I have to be on mv our standard. Battery life blows now, phone is hot all the time. Soooooooo....... my question: Is this the result of a fried processor from ocing? Should I disapear my droid and claim on insurance? Or is this just a glitch from the current releases of Froyo? I know its a big post but I love my droid and want it to be in top shape but right now she's not doing so well. I should mention she is running great, just poor battery and very hot all the time. Currently running BB v0.4/ Chevy's mv 1.0 ghz 7 slot// fabs x theme v 4 and lots of apps/ widgets like espn/ beautiful home/ adw launcher. Thanks for any replies.

I have had good luck w/ Chevy's. P3Droid does not like my phone. Every kernal I load up ends up restarting the phone after being on for 2 mins.

I agree with anaphora and just try a different kernal...also try the different voltage kernals...ulv, lv, mv.

You stated that you ran a mv kernal...try the lv, or ulv...it should bring your temps down. Anything over 120 is bad....but under 120 is good

Upvote 0
OP clearly stated that ULV and LV kernels won't work for him anymore. Please read the post before commenting. My recommendation would be going back to BB 1.1 if your issues started with Froyo and see if you have any problems there. If BB 1.1 with 2.1 kernels work fine, then it's something with your phone and Froyo (and you'll end up with poor Redflea as a Froyo despiser).

Upvote 0
I have been flashing phones for some time. I started out on my Omnia, never had any hardware issues what so ever. Each rom gave me new features and higher performance. Ok so now I have my Droid and it is actually the second, I bricked the first flashing the sbf file. Followed all instructions just failed big time, but that was months ago. Now I have used roms from just about every dev, some have been good some great. One thing I keep reading about is how no two droids are alike. Aren't these devices manufactored the same? Like how some kernals will work on one droid but not another. I used to be able to run ulv and lv kernals but now I have to be on mv our standard. Battery life blows now, phone is hot all the time. Soooooooo....... my question: Is this the result of a fried processor from ocing? Should I disapear my droid and claim on insurance? Or is this just a glitch from the current releases of Froyo? I know its a big post but I love my droid and want it to be in top shape but right now she's not doing so well. I should mention she is running great, just poor battery and very hot all the time. Currently running BB v0.4/ Chevy's mv 1.0 ghz 7 slot// fabs x theme v 4 and lots of apps/ widgets like espn/ beautiful home/ adw launcher. Thanks for any replies.

FWIW I have the same setup on my Droid as you. Except I'm using Chevyno1 LV1.1 GHZ for Froyo. 'You have to make sure that your kernal is for Froyo'.

I had to back my CPU speed down to 900 MHZ to keep it from running to hot. It was running about 102* according to SetCpu. Now its running like 98* Max..

That being said It will still ramp up to 1.1GHZ, and gets Quadrant Scores of up to 1300, on Conservative setting.

In set CPU you can go to info and scroll down to time in state, and see what your processor is doing and for how long. obviously the more time its spends at max output, equates to more heat and battery consumption.

Upvote 0
OP clearly stated that ULV and LV kernels won't work for him anymore. Please read the post before commenting. My recommendation would be going back to BB 1.1 if your issues started with Froyo and see if you have any problems there. If BB 1.1 with 2.1 kernels work fine, then it's something with your phone and Froyo (and you'll end up with poor Redflea as a Froyo despiser).

I do not want to get into a pissing match, but he stated he used to be able to run them, and now he cant. Well He might be able to run them if he tries to run ones that play nice w/ froyo. If you used to do something, and then you cant do it, try it again, you might be able to do it.

Reactions: rustymcbain
Upvote 0
I would also swap the kernel out. Some of the froyo kernels really don't play nice with your phone. I've had awesome luck with Cyanogen 6 RC-1 and the jdflg kernels.

1st off i love buglessbeast, but i have had nothing but problems with all of them in 2.2. i was haveing the same heat and battery problem. i swicthed to the above and when it came out and have been more than happy with it. last time i charged my phone was friday night, as of right know i have 50% left.
i would give this a shot before going back to stock.

Upvote 0
1st off i love buglessbeast, but i have had nothing but problems with all of them in 2.2. i was haveing the same heat and battery problem. i swicthed to the above and when it came out and have been more than happy with it. last time i charged my phone was friday night, as of right know i have 50% left.
i would give this a shot before going back to stock.

I know you mean well but this sort of advice is purely subjective. Battery life has a lot to do with what kernel you are running and how your set cpu profiles are set.

To the OP, if you battery is really draining faster than expected it's quite likely that one of the applications you have installed is not playing well with your ROM. Check your battery usage in settings>about phone>battery use and it will help determine what is draining your battery.

I've used several 2.2 based roms and ChevyNo1 1.2 ULV kernel for a few weeks and I've been getting 2-3 days of battery life with moderate use.

Upvote 0
More proof that kernels all work differently on different phones:

mobrienjr said that P3Droid's kernels cause constant reboots for him. P3Droid's are some of the only current up-to-date kernels that work flawlessly on my phone. Bekit's kernels cause constant reboots for me, however. Try out EVERYTHING.

Ok found a good mix loving it so far. CM 06 rci ,, jdlfg cm06 kernal 1 ghz,, and fabs cm06 x theme. Unplugged 5 hours ago and using moderatly thru day, I have 75% battery left and no heat ups.

Upvote 0
Ok found a good mix loving it so far. CM 06 rci ,, jdlfg cm06 kernal 1 ghz,, and fabs cm06 x theme. Unplugged 5 hours ago and using moderatly thru day, I have 75% battery left and no heat ups.

congrats !!! I think the secret to a happy Droid is trusting yourself to find the right combo. I think I have only had 3 that come to mind that were perfect for me :) but have had lots of decent set ups.

Upvote 0
congrats !!! I think the secret to a happy Droid is trusting yourself to find the right combo. I think I have only had 3 that come to mind that were perfect for me :) but have had lots of decent set ups.

Yeah, finding a great kernel is a rarity. I remember back when we were making the transition from 2.0.1 to 2.1. I would run Chevy's kernels at 1250/250 and get a whole day's use out of them. I wish someone could make a kernel that awesome again... come to think about it, I haven't tried out Chevy's Froyo kernels... :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones