1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Has Phandroid sold out?!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mr.Slave, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Mr.Slave

Mr.Slave Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 4, 2010
    I think so and have hoped that they would stop but the big Bing banners in ALL of the articles and popup ads showing up upon arrival are driving me away. I was here early and left for other reasons and am now leaving again but this time I really don't think I will be back. I watched this website grow up and am sad to see it in such a state of greed. I thought this was about Android first then money but I guess things have changed.

Good Bye Phandroid and please keep all of those Bing banners to yourselves.

Advertisement

2. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    NYU Student & Real Estate Agent
    Manhattan, NY
    It's not Phandroid's fault. It's the advertisers. I believe that the website can't do anything about it since they don't directly control what advertisements are shown.

3. ckochinsky125

None

Dec 5, 2009
    thats a great reason to leave because people need to make money so you bitch and moan that they advertise to make money. How about you pay to keep the site running then they wont need the bing ads and then they wont need outside advertisers.

4. DaSchmarotzer

DaSchmarotzer Blame it on me
    None

Mar 10, 2010
    Studying
    Qu
    If you really don't want Rob to make any money with advertising, simply use an extension like adblock for Chrome or Firefox.

Also they don't have much control over what gets shown.

5. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert
    None

Feb 16, 2010
    Male
    Intel fab tech
    Salem, OR
    You are right, things have changed. As Android has gotten more and more popular, the site has grown, and the bandwidth being used every day has gone up. That isn't free, so unless you want to pay to use the site, the advertising is how it is paid for. I don't know why you care so much about what the ads are, they don't affect the content of the site. Bu whatever, if you want to leave over an advertisement that you could easily ignore (unless it's one of those ones that pop-up and get in the way, of course), then godspeed to you.

Of course, you could also become a Premium Member, and one of the perks of that is in exchange for paying the site, you get less advertisements. Just putting that out there.

http://androidforums.com/payments.php

IOWA likes this.
  6. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants
    None

Dec 2, 2009
    Network Admin
    Chicago
    Some people j just don't understand how much it costs to run a heavily visited site. To keep this site running they would need a private dedicated server and those are not cheap. Hell my virtual private server runs me about 100/mo.

7. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Sounds like he's leaving for some other reason and is blaming the ads.

Regardless, if he is leaving, there is no reason to keep this open as everything that could have been said has already been covered!

/ thread

8. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    Real Estate Agent
    M A dub'l dolla sign
    I know this thread was already closed but I just wanted to add my comment.

Running this site along with Phandroid is extremely expensive. The server and bandwidth costs are in the quadruple digits, monthly. If you know of a better way to help pay that bill then I'm sure the site owner would love to hear about it.

UBRocked likes this.