• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has the HTC EVO 4G LTE met you expectations? Thinking of returning? Discuss

I was incorrect. thought where I moved them was to Sd card. I read it wrong. so my question then is do we experience any performance issues with having apps stored on internal storage, even though we have 9 gee bees of space? my reason for moving apps to sd on 3vo, OGEvo, was to speed things up by way of freeing up ram etc. does the amount of space correlate to speed of OS?? if so then I'll await the roms that will open up true apps to sd. that being said, I'll never exhaust even remotely close to that much space with apps.

android is not the same as DOS/Microsoft ... where you are always needing to free up RAM for better performance.

android wants to use as much RAM (1gb) as it wants... it moves apps to RAM for apps that you want to use most and updates in the background. so there will be many apps in the background. but things in the background do NOT do ANYTHING unless it needs to updates some data (resources are not being hogged up). Android will end any app if it needs more space for service the user requests. So killing off apps will only make android start up other apps to fill the empty space; which is does use resources to start apps.

RAM (1gb).. android will handle. the memory is managed by andy. if you get involved.. you might be just doing more harm. (best just to forget about it)

internal storage (2GB)..where apps are initially installed.. does not affect speed if it is getting full. because apps run in RAM..

RAM is the fastest memory in the phone.
I think the internal storage is slower than RAM (2gb)
the external storage (9gb) is a little slower than IS...
and the SDcard is a lot slower than the internal storage. (the slowest)

moving apps to other memory storage (apps2sd)..
this only affects the speed when the phone is starting the app or needs another part of the app to run...once it is running in RAM, then it is as fast as it is going to get.

if the app is in RAM; in the background.. it is basically instant.
if the app is in IS; then it gets loads to RAM..
if you move it to other memory areas.. then that affects the load time...because it is a slower memory access. most apps are so small, it would not really affect speed that much.

Upvote 0
Was planning on taking it back within the 14 days and checking out the S3 and the ELTE side-by-side.

BUT, after using it for a few days, there is no way I'm taking this phone back.

The screen is gorgeous, I like the location of the charging port better, and the kickstand is back! It's a work of art.

Upvote 0
Some quick thoughts for a few days of using the phone. I'll admit, it's a nice phone, but I'm a little frustrated at some of the issues (especially when I just want a phone that I can seamlessly transition to from my prior Evo 3D).

The Awesome:
  • Screen is bright, clear, sharp, and great!
  • Phone is crazy thin
  • Camera seems pretty competent, shoots quickly, good image quality, and the panorama mode, while not perfect is fun and easy to use, the camera button is a thankful and great addition
  • Scrolling through lists is so satisfyingly smooth (smoother than Evo 3D)
  • Kickstand is sometimes hard to get at but it is strong and confidence inspiring

The Not-So-Awesome:
  • Sense UI snafus (Clear button for the notification window not at edge unlike Evo 3D, come on HTC)
  • Memory Management -- the issue facing the One X owners is definitely here, and it is pretty terrible. There have been times Sense has been kicked from memory and had to be reloaded and since I've had an Android phone, I've had System Panel App monitoring battery and performance and this app is constantly being killed from memory too -- even in High Priority Thread mode... which is insane).
  • Sense Lockscreen Apps -- Come on HTC, we need separate configuration of the dock and of the Sense Lockscreen quick apps, because not all of us need to call our phone directly from the lockscreen, but we may want it in our dock.
  • After using the 4.3" Evo and Evo 3D and defending the size from the iPhone fans... Yes, it turns out that a screen CAN be too big. :) I have decent mens' hands (I can get an octave, octave +1 on the piano), and holding the phone one handed (with the phone perched on my pinky), I cannot reach the top of the screen to pull down the notification bar and icons in the upper left, whereas on the Evo 3D, I could pretty much get to anything with a stretch).
  • Light leaks and light bleed. UGH. I've forgiven HTC for the past two models of phones for light leak/bleed issues, and you would have thought that with the new vaunted display, that HTC would have gotten their act together when it comes to screens. It's not a big deal, but it's frustrating. I guess maybe next generation.
  • Wierd glitchyness -- things like "autorotate" automatically flipping the homescreen to landscape, my music not appearing on the phone even though it's on the SD card, the screenshot function not working (these all resolved by themselves somehow, but it's not confidence inspiring)
  • Sense. Ugh, I lasted 2 days before giving up on even this version. (I went to Apex).

I'm keeping the phone of course, but I'm still waiting for the day that an Android phone works amazing out of the box. I feel like we still can't beat Apple/iPhone on that front yet.

Upvote 0
No problems here. Battery life is WAY better than my Photon was. My only complaint is how terribly bulky the Otterbox case makes the phone.

I'm hearing mixed reviews on the otterbox..before this phone o could care less about the extra bulk...but this phone is so thin and light...I've began to care..could you post a side shot of the phone with the defender?

And also...my battery is amazing on this phone..way better than the 3vo..I make it through work and more with LTEvo..the first day I had it the battery drained fast..but since then its been awesome

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
Looks like HTC has hit a homerun with this phone!
All those saying the battery life is amazing, just wait until you get LTE.

Can't wait for lte! Battery draining or not I haven't even got to use 4g in my area it just never came here for sprint..so I just want to experience some speed..when I went to New York 4g was amazing on the 3vo... But I live near Atlantic city...no sprint WiMAX here

Upvote 0
Besides a few odd sense4 WTFs? and small glitches here and there I really enjoy this phone. I think some of the software issues will get fixed in some OTAs. We are after all the guinea pigs.

I do have one bone to pick with HTC though. Why build a phone with a landscape kickstand and DISABLE landscape homescreens. It is in the software it works perfectly fine when in my car dock or connected to the medialink? So why disable it in normal use if I am watching a video and go back to my home screen to navigate elsewhere it is very frustrating. I am sure once we get the Dev scene rolling there will be a few roms that unlock this for me but why why why couldn't you HTC?

Upvote 0
i am still on the OG evo... and I can not stand the way the cases add bulk.

i understand the need for a case... and I can live with the think rubber cases (non-sticky).

otterbox and the like.. those make the phone a big brick

+1

I'd never put my slick LTEVO in a case of any kind besides a pouch I can take it out of when in use.

what's the point of having a slick phone if you cover it with a not so slick case?

same goes for screen protectors. not the same originally intended quality interaction between you and the phone. naked is waayyy better (non sexually speaking) :D

I'll just be extra careful when using it, especially outside. it's the price to pay for having a beauty. just like women

anyways, big imho ofcourse. many will not agree I'm sure

Upvote 0
I was initially very disappointed. But then, I determined that the problems were due to my router. (The old D-Link router was due for retirement, anyway. It was several years old, and maxed out at 802.11g. I've replaced with a Netgear N750.)

Now, I'm extremely pleased with the phone. Great display, more than acceptable battery life, speedy performance, unobjectionable form factor (although I don't believe I'd want anything larger), not loaded down with bloatware, no significant glitches - it simply lives up to the hype.

ICS seems to be an improvement over its predecessors. I already have a 32gig Sandisk Ultra microSD card tucked inside the phone and working nicely. I don't plan to root the phone anytime soon, although it's nice to know that the option's there and that it's apparently quite easily accomplished.

Sound quality on phone calls is surprisingly good. I get that somewhere down the road, HD Voice may represent a major improvement, but as is, the phone's sound quality is quite good. This is important to me; no matter how impressive a phone's bells and whistles, my #1 priority is that it function well as a phone. You know, as a device used for voice communication between two people.

I find the phone to be attractive enough visually - the two-tone black look really isn't a plus, or a minus, to me. The kickstand seems to work well, although actually pulling it out easily requires a bit more fingernail than I have. Screen rotation seems to work okay, although there are some apps for which it doesn't activate.

About my only real disappointment (and I was prepared for it) is that I'm stuck with 3G speeds for the time being. But my area (Baltimore) is supposed to be one of the initial six LTE locations, so by this time next month there's reason to believe that issue will have been dealt with. In the meantime, 3G is satisfactory. Not as satisfactory as 4G, but it's not like accessing the Internet on dial-up using a 300 baud modem, either.

I think the case Sprint sent me, by way of apologizing for the delay in the phone's delivery, is a truly ugly shade of blue.

But basically, I'm very pleased with my purchase. Doubtless, something newer and better will be introduced soon enough - that's just the way it is with cell phones. But I can't think of any phone I'd rather have today.
--
Michael

Upvote 0
+1

I'd never put my slick LTEVO in a case of any kind besides a pouch I can take it out of when in use.

what's the point of having a slick phone if you cover it with a not so slick case?

same goes for screen protectors. not the same originally intended quality interaction between you and the phone. naked is waayyy better (non sexually speaking) :D

I'll just be extra careful when using it, especially outside. it's the price to pay for having a beauty. just like women

anyways, big imho ofcourse. many will not agree I'm sure

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. My "precious," as my wife jokingly puts it, will remain in its otter defender for safe keeping. My line of work prevents me from undressing it. I'm afraid it wouldn't last but a week otherwise.

Upvote 0
I was at the AT&T store transferring my account to someone else (no ETF, woo!), and finally got a chance to play around with the One X. Man that is an absolute beauty of a phone. The unibody construction combined with the screen makes for perhaps the most gorgeous phone I've ever seen.

It's not that the LTEvo is ugly. With its red kickstand it's very distinctive. But man the white One X just stands out from the pack. Of course, in order to get it you'd have to deal with AT&T's caps and/or throttling, along with the locked bootloader and AT&T's incessant hounding of anyone who tries to tether. Absolutely not worth it. It's also nice to have the expandable storage, of course.

I'm not really all that envious. It just surprised me how much of a looker the One X was.

Upvote 0
I was initially very disappointed. But then, I determined that the problems were due to my router. (The old D-Link router was due for retirement, anyway. It was several years old, and maxed out at 802.11g. I've replaced with a Netgear N750.)

Now, I'm extremely pleased with the phone. Great display, more than acceptable battery life, speedy performance, unobjectionable form factor (although I don't believe I'd want anything larger), not loaded down with bloatware, no significant glitches - it simply lives up to the hype.l

Good job for troubleshooting the initial problems you were having and not just giving up on the phone :thumbup: I'm not as tech savvy as some on this forum but I've seen some posts here and on other sites where people are unhappy and give up without doing their due diligence. This phone (like any tech device) isn't perfect, but it's pretty cool and will hopefully get better with updates or if you decide to root. Enjoy it - and welcome to the forums!

Reactions: ZepTepi
Upvote 0
I am very seriously considering this bad boy. I had the pleasure of seeing and briefly messing with one that a coworker has and wow...just...wow. Yes, I kept pushing the wrong buttons, lol, but that's ok. His 3G speeds were not bad, either, averaging around 1 to 1.5 MB down. I drooled over the display and how sleek this device is. It is lightweight but definitely not "cheap" and the color combination in design looks awesome "in person." And yay...the kickstand is back! I have always chuckled at the use of the term "sexy" for a phone, but dang it, this one is...sexy and smart ;)

Upvote 0
This is from a Dev named OMJ and I'm expecting something similar or better from you novoxx77

2012-05-28_20-40-19.png

Reactions: WifiMaxed
Upvote 0
Haha, and he's a runner too. I used to post screenies like this when I had the Evo 4G to prove there was nothing inherently wrong with the Evo hardware or battery. And I had enough usage on it to justify owning a smartphone :)

Based on everything I've read here so far, battery life is not something I'm concerned about with this phone. The aggressive memory management issue is tops on my worry list.

Upvote 0
--
Michael

this brings up a good question I have. sorry if this is wrong place for it. my router is also pretty old although I haven't had many noticeable issues with it. I'm wondering what should I look for in a replacement? specs wise. I pretty much would like to just probably upgrade to a more current model that would run things better due to newer tech...can anyone offer some assistance??? TIA

Upvote 0
I'm no expert, AM2 (and that's putting it mildly), but due to a significant degree of congestion around here on the 2.4Ghz frequency band, one of the things I looked for was 5Ghz capability.

Sure, there are trade-offs, and for some people 5Ghz might not be worth it. But for me and my situation, 5Ghz is of great benefit, with little practical disadvantage.
--
Michael

Reactions: AM2
Upvote 0
Haha, and he's a runner too. I used to post screenies like this when I had the Evo 4G to prove there was nothing inherently wrong with the Evo hardware or battery. And I had enough usage on it to justify owning a smartphone :)

Based on everything I've read here so far, battery life is not something I'm concerned about with this phone. The aggressive memory management issue is tops on my worry list.

Could you break down what's wrong with aggressive memory management!?

Upvote 0

just more annoying ..

it trys to keep as much of the memory free as possible.. even if it dont need it. and that means it even kills off Sense .. so when you will see sense reload, when you leave an app.

also.. killing off apps in the background.. if you where in an app and had it on a particular page/screen... you jump to another app for something... you jump back, but the app has restarted and you have to look for the page/screen again.

my OG evo has only 500mb RAM and LTevo has 1GB of RAM... you would think there would be more room to let apps sleep in background.

Upvote 0

See also this thread:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/555765-any-issues-multitasking-htc-evo-4g-lte.html

Apps that are running as a service (icon visible in the status bar) are being killed by Sense when multitasking. I find this to be very extreme. Those apps running as a service are there intentionally and should never be killed. The more common effect of the aggressive app management is the complete termination of backgrounded apps, which means if you're multitasking and you go back to that app, you start all the way over in the app lifecycle, rather than resume where you left off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones