• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Has the X10 enough RAM for 2.1 in full?

Honestly, I think nobody cares except a few enthusiasts. Most kids who get a smartphone just want to flash and will beg daddy for an iPhone or something with a big screen, they couldn't care less about 1.6, 2.1 or 2.2.

I mean if we come here and post, we're probably way above average in terms of caring about the OS. As long as they can make what the competition makes, SE has no real interest in upgrading their OS.

Judging from these Sony Ericsson X10 focus group videos, you may well be correct about people not caring what firmware is on their handset.

YouTube - Product Testing Institute - Models

YouTube - Product Testing Institute - Surfers

YouTube - Product Testing Institute - Toddlers

Upvote 0
Firstly, more RAM means squat as far as speed /lag is concerned. I mean, why in the hell would a 2.2 ROM make the slightest incling of difference to performance ?? You're still running the same programs, with the same amount of memory aren't you ?

Secondly, no current model smartphone (including HTC, Samsung, Motorola or SE) will receive a gingerbread update. i.e v 3.0 running on a new kernal. There may well be 2.3, 2.4, 2.5 updates, but Gingerbread with its extended UI, is being developed solely for the tablet PC market (and yes, I know what you may or may not have read - it's all BS).

I'm sorry if my points above include harsh realities for some android users, but this is the truth.

Upvote 0
Firstly, more RAM means squat as far as speed /lag is concerned. I mean, why in the hell would a 2.2 ROM make the slightest incling of difference to performance ?? You're still running the same programs, with the same amount of memory aren't you ?

Secondly, no current model smartphone (including HTC, Samsung, Motorola or SE) will receive a gingerbread update. i.e v 3.0 running on a new kernal. There may well be 2.3, 2.4, 2.5 updates, but Gingerbread with its extended UI, is being developed solely for the tablet PC market (and yes, I know what you may or may not have read - it's all BS).

I'm sorry if my points above include harsh realities for some android users, but this is the truth.

That would be true if 2.1 firmware was exactly the same as 1.6 but 2.1 adds extra programmes and features (i.e. Live wallpapers, Multi Touch, etc.) that require more RAM.

Upvote 0

To my knowledge, Froyo makes 2-3 times better use of processor performance than even 2.1, which is better than 1.6. Not sure how everything ties together, but there are speed comparos on the web of 2.2 vs 2.1 an d2.2 is noticeably faster.

Upvote 0
Well isn't the use of RAM tied into the whole performance package? I mean you cannot have the performance with zero RAM, so the amount of RAM you do have does contribute to how well the CPU and all of the other components function to some degree, right.....

While this is definitely true, the "system" only needs so much memory (or RAM) to function. The leftover RAM is used for additional processes. So, the other devices would be able to run more apps before having to do any swapping to secondary storage.

Upvote 0
To do what? Play a game, listen to music, watch a video, and surf the net at the same time. I don't know about you, but most people aren't running more than a few apps simultaneously. Ever heard of a task killer? Mine works just fine. Oh, that's right, you can't use a task manager in Froyo.

What the hell are HTC trolls doing on an X10 thread anyhow?

Upvote 0
To do what? Play a game, listen to music, watch a video, and surf the net at the same time. I don't know about you, but most people aren't running more than a few apps simultaneously. Ever heard of a task killer? Mine works just fine. Oh, that's right, you can't use a task manager in Froyo.

What the hell are HTC trolls doing on an X10 thread anyhow?

Have just checked in Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Running and my handset in idle mode is running 33 applications in the background.

FYI Task Manager runs perfectly well on FroYo 2.2 but really isn't needed because of the way the firmware now uses resources.

As for your paragraph.. "What the hell are HTC trolls doing on an X10 thread anyhow?" my friend has an X10 and I thought my original posting on her behalf, was a legitimate question as she is keen to have some of the features of at least 2.1 on her handset.

Most of the replies have been very helpful and I can only but apologise for engendering your response.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones