1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

General Has your Dinc taken over your casual computing?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MisterMixelpix, May 8, 2010.

1. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member

May 4, 2010
    Youth Counselor
    PA
    I noticed that since I can Tweet, use Facebook, browse, IRC, and use Meebo on my Dinc... I almost don't need my actual computer for casual use. Serious multimedia editing, video and such obviously need the main machine, but lately I'm just leaving my laptop sit as a storage device, LOL. And I'm a computer addict!

If Android ever gets a proper MUD client (sorry AndroMud, you just don't cut it...) then that's a wrap on my laptop. I might buy a desktop next and only use it for the more intense activities.

Advertisement

2. Mike_B

Mike_B Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Network Systems Analyst
    Nope. My netbook still does casual browsing duty.

3. dgourd

dgourd Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Student
    Chicago
    The only problem with my incredible is it makes my computer boring. I find updates to my favorite sites coming automatically to my incredible. All I use my computer now is for gaming.

4. ThreeFingersDown

ThreeFingersDown Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Yep, I feel you on this one brother. I get home from work and turn on my computer... look at it for a couple of seconds... then sit on my couch and fire up my phones browser lol.

The only thing I use my comp for is audio editing!

5. DonDraper

DonDraper Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Windows System Admin
    South
    To a certain extent mine definitely has. A quick glance at FB, hit my favorite websites, tech sites, check the news, check gmail. Sometimes I make phone calls.

6. mrjinglesusa

mrjinglesusa Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    NoVA
    Nope, use my iPad still for casual computer use while at home. I see no reason to browse the Internet on a 3.7" screen when I can browse on a 9" or 27" screen when I'm home. At home, I don't use my Incredible for anything except phone calls and text messaging.

7. ThreeFingersDown

ThreeFingersDown Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Yep, I feel you on this one brother. I get home from work and turn on my computer... look at it for a couple of seconds... then sit on my couch and fire up my phones browser lol.

The only thing I use my comp for is audio editing!

8. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Generation Dispatcher
    Noblesville, IN
    hell know, nothing beats a full 16+ inch laptop or 28" desktop for getting things done. Even veiwing most forums is much better on my latop

9. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member

May 4, 2010
    Youth Counselor
    PA
    It's mostly the mobility thing. I can just wander around the house, go do stuff and not have to switch clients. I noticed that I don't check email or IM/IRC on my computer at all any more, because... why would I need to?

10. DataSchmuck

DataSchmuck Active Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I was playing Final Fantasy 13 for 6 or 7 hours a day, got to chapter 12, played for a bit, then got a knock on the door from fed-ex on April 29th. Haven't touched the game (or any games) since. And as for the PC, only thing I use the computer for now is surfing these forums. I can't put this damn phone down!

11. gavin77

gavin77 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Ya, I definitely do the same. Haven't used my macbook much at all. This thing is great.

12. kibble

kibble Well-Known Member

May 4, 2010
    :D Glad to see I'm not the only one! My fiancee has taken to constantly telling me: "Put the phone down, geez!" Do I listen? Let's just say she's still having to say it constanly. :p

It's mostly taken over the casual browsing use of my crappy laptop. I can't even watch youtube vids on the laptop comfortably because it constantly hiccups (this Incredible makes the laptop look bad!). I usually only use the laptop when I don't want to fire up my desktop and then I have to deal with the crappy performance, but for heavy multi-core hungry tasks, gaming, and watching youtube videos with smooth playback, my behemoth of a desktop is still used. Although I have a feeling my electricity bill will be going down as I haven't had to use my desktop as much lately.

I haven't used a phone this much since I got my first PDA phone about 6 years ago.

13. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Do I use the computer for casual stuff less? yes. Replace it? no.

I find I pretty much never check stuff like email, FB, etc on my computer. If a noti. pops up on the inc, I pop open whatever it was on the computer. The inc keeps me in touch live, while the computer handles the brunt of the work.

PS: I might as well not have a laptop. The power cable has to sit at just the right angle to work, the battery is probably under 50% of it's original capacity, and the laptop itself was a gaming laptop....though now it has a hard time opening a browser. Seriously, I think my inc might be faster at this point, lol. ( The laptop is only like 3 or 4 years old, but it did spend a year with me in iraq. )

14. sontaikle

sontaikle Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Student, Web Designer, Teacher
    New York
    Ha! sounds like my mother :) She was yelling at me to put my Incredible down when we were out shopping

15. Mr Marcus

Mr Marcus Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    DC
    Maybe I'm just getting old, but 3.7 vs a pair of 23s can't come close. I use my Inc for quick web stuff, things on the go, ALL instant messaging, and of course 'phoney' stuff, but anything more than that, I need to be on the comp.

I suppose in the case of urban disaster, I could survive better with the Inc than the HP though. :)

16. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Planet Earth
    If I am on the go. If I am at home I would much rather use my laptop.

17. Distant

Distant Active Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Implementation Coordinator
    Western New York
    Going shopping with my wife is exciting now.
    Secondly, yes. For the basic browsing and social updating - I don't touch the computer. It's actually quite nice. I'm on day 3 with the phone and with moderate to high use, I'm getting roughly 15 hours out of the battery.

18. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2010
    I use it for most of my facebook, email, twitter, news, weather, and such... but for casual web browsing I usually use my 8.9" tablet netbook, and if I'm going to do a lot of typing for school or message boards I use my 17" laptop.

19. sta7ic

sta7ic Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Student
    Rochester, NY / Pittsburgh, PA
    Things like twitter and engadget are much easier to check on my incredible these days. I have already thought of deleting thunderbird from my laptop because I just don't see the point of it now haha

20. TheWhiteBandito

TheWhiteBandito Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Student / Software Developer / Web Developer
    hahah this has definitely taken over my casual browsing. I get all my email, facebook, twitter updates automatically and then I can even have AIM/MSN on my phone. The laptop is still used for audio creating, school work, movie editing obviously. But I do find forums (such as this one) better on my laptop still.