• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has your Droid screen ever started typing as if controled by ghosts....??

image911

Lurker
Feb 23, 2010
Last evening we transported a 17 month old child to the hospital in great distress - with a high fever and flu-like symptoms. In an effort to distract her, I whipped out my handy Droid and selected the movie "Ice Age" to keep our patient attentive throughout the half hour ambulance trip to the hospital in Burlington. Once the patient was offloaded, I began my tasks of disinfecting the rig and all equipment used and or touched by our feverish patient... including my Droid. I spritzed a palm full of hospital grade antimicrobial foam into my palm, and promptly took to wiping it across the surface of the Droid, including the screen (but making sure not to get any of the foam into the ear bud port). Just as soon as the foaming agent came in contact with the screen - it went bonkers... causing the screen to act all on its own - texting gibberish in one long strand - as if being operated by a ghost. I didn't catch-on fast enough... and just thought it was a software issue. So much so, I re-rooted the device, clearing the cashe and system memory, and installed a clean Froyo FRG01B ROM. Even AFTER the clean install, it kept throwing gibberish and duplicate text. Very annoying. It wasn't until the second rebooting and installation that I figured it out... seems the antibiotic foam leaves an odd surface film that causes the signals to and from the screen to go haywire. It all stopped immediately after I wiped the screen with an alcohol wipe. Amazing! I wonder how many other people have experienced similar problematic results that just (for me...) required a simple cleaning.

Feel free to pass along this handy bit of information... in the hops it helps some other truly frustrated Droidite.

Sincerely,

Sandy Korda,
Firefighter/EMT
Vermont

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones