1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

have a Fascinate now and looking to switch please help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Batt1719, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Batt1719

Batt1719 Member
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    I currently have a stock samsung fascinate that I've had since launch day. Overall the phone works pretty good, but pretty good is not good enough. The screen is beautiful and I like touch wiz. But I have a problem with my emails never coming through or taking minutes to load when I refresh them manually. Also, the fact that samsung nor verizon seems to be eager to push out any android updates is kind of bothersome. I have pitched a fit to verizon and they have agreed to switch me out to a DX, Droid 2, or Dinc. Please help I would like some input on this decision from the forums, the SF is my first android device. Thank you.

Advertisement

2. fonefreak

fonefreak Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 25, 2010
    North of the ecliptic
    Not having had a Dinc or D2 I cannot comment. But of the 3, I'd go with the DX. Is there a time limit for your final decision? If not, then you might want to check out the upcoming DX 2. My advice is to go to a corporate store and handle all 3. Test out all 3. Of course, the final decision rests with you. You may find that the DX is too large or bulky or whatever. That's why I urge you to physically try all 3.

3. NoShineMM

NoShineMM Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    We'll. Do you want a phone with a huge screen? Or Do you want a keyboard? If no on both get the Dinc. If yes to either one then you have your answer.

4. Kevmueller

Kevmueller Android Expert
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    Kansas City
    I would not trade my X for anything at this point, best phone I have ever touched. My wife coming from a blackberry wanted a keyboard so got the Droid 2 and she love it. To me it is small and bulky. Of the three the X has the best battery life from what I have seen and read, I can make it through a day with no battery issues. Really except for the size and the physical keyboard the X and D2 are almost the same phone. If you are looking to modify your phone and want an unlocked bootloader than the Dinc is the only way to go. There has been as much development as possible on the X and it is great, the D2 has very little development help at this point. A lot depends on what you are looking for. Like I said if someone asked me what phone I would want of all the phones on the market today it would still be the X.

5. chmodx

chmodx Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    I was in the same boat as you.

I came from a faulty line of Droid 2s(4 of them). I got a Fascinate and discovered a lot of apps missing from the market(including earth, maps, lock screen widget, etc.).

I came to the Droid X and love it. Motorola does have a lot more options with it's version of the OS than Samsung does.

Droid 2 is good for the keyboard, but I like the swype function on the Droid X better. I feel your pain with the Fascinate, those poor buggers are still stuck on 2.1.

6. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert
    None

Oct 27, 2009
    Florida
    We (4 of us in family) recently came from the Sprint EVO 4G to Verizon. (don't care about 4G as it doesn't exist here yet) Because we liked HTC and their Sense UI, we went with 4 Incredibles. Well, the call quality was lacking, on both ends of the call it sounded "raspy" or gravely. We have a relatively low signal at our house, and many times we were asked to repeat what we had just said. Doing research, we found the DX to have a better antanna system, so my wife and i switched to the DX. WHAT a big difference!. People now commnet that we sound like we are on land lines. The 3rd user also switched and is happier with DX. 4th user on our plan, lives where the signal is strong, doesn't like change, and is fine with the Incredible. We do miss HTC Sense, however...ALOT! Launcher Pro comes close, but no cigar. HTC has it down. Oh well, it is much more important to be able to use the phone as a phone, than having slick widgets.

7. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I love my X. :D

8. faber78

faber78 Guest
    None
    You should have been able to root the facinate and put something slim on it in froyo or anything else....
    I did my friends....i also messed with that lag fix kernal stuff and really screwed it up, took forever to find what I needed to fix it. Works good now.
    Anyway....you're just gonna have to research....i like my dx, no complaints.....except the locked bootloader.

9. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    I understand your frustration, I actually prefer the fascinates form factor but it's hell from a software perspective unless you are satisfied with rooting to get froyo.

10. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert
    None

Well since you're on stock/unrooted SF and have been since launch, then I'd say you wouldn't be bothered by the bootloader of thr DX. So what you aughta do is zip on down to your local Verizon Wireless store and see if the big screen suits you or not.

Good luck!

11. Batt1719

Batt1719 Member
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    Thanks for the input guys. My DX should he here by this afternoon!!