• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Have I been duped

trebor1958

Lurker
Sep 10, 2010
I have just taken delivery of a Galaxy W and I am trying to work out how to voice dial through a blue tooth headset .

I was advised by the salesman that the Galaxy W has this feature?

The phone will connect to the headset no problem and when a call comes in I can press the button on the headset and take the call, however I want to be able to use the head set to voice dial (tap button say name = dial) it works fine on my Sony Ericsson Walkman.

The head set I am using is the Motorola HS820.

If the Galaxy W does not have this feature then it might as well go back.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure Android uses the internet for voice recognition technology. So you need an active internet connection available to use it. If I block internet access to my phone I get a message saying 'Connection problem' when I try to use the voice dialling.

You can try it without the headset by going to Voice Search and saying 'call xxx'.

Technically the salesman is correct saying it has voice calling, but its ridiculous that it can't do it without access to the internet.

Upvote 0
When I first got my phone there was an icon for it on the home screen. Failing that, it's an application, so you should be able to find it somewhere under 'applications'.

Failing that, search for 'Voice Search' in Android Market. It will either give you a link to open it or let you download it. I'm pretty sure it comes installed on all new Galaxy phones though.

If you do find that the internet is the issue there may be an app on Android Market that would fix your problem. I don't know of any off the top of my head, but there are certainly 3rd party voice recognition apps out there.

Edit -->

There is 'Hands-Free Voice Dialer: CD+' available. It costs, with a free version to try, which obviously isn't ideal, but in the grand scheme of things it's not a lot of money. It claims to do exactly what you need.

Upvote 0
In answer to my own question I beleive I have found the answer. I have spent several days trying to find something that works as simple as my Sony Ericsson and now I have found it, It is
rbKiL20mVF_86Gr0o5sUIxhTcjEEMgQqDi76V9O_iNXr1XxDpXjRvWT9Ki3yToq_r88=w124
Voice Speed Dial

Cyberon Corp.

Below is the Users Review I left fo this product
Title: Awesooome
To all those that are looking for a simple hands free Bluetooth dialler look no more.
I have had this almost a week and it works perfect, so perfect I am about get it set up on my wife

Reactions: dannymur
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones