• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Have I bricked my desire :'(

E

emeraldnumber1

As i write this i fear that my htc desire.... could have died

I tried rooting it and i was on the very last step, flashing the zip, it has been stuck on install from sd card completed for about 15 mins, should i pull out the battery coz none of the other buttons are working?

EDIT: also every 10 secs (about) a little blue circle circles on my pc, as if its loading something?

I suspect the phone is harder to properly 'brick' than people think. If the phone hangs, remove the battery and start over. Eventually it should work as long as you are using the right rooting method for your bootloader version. I have rooted a number of times as well as installing custom ROMS and A2SD. It is rare for the processes to work correctly first time around, you just need to persist.

Upvote 0
I suspect the phone is harder to properly 'brick' than people think. If the phone hangs, remove the battery and start over. Eventually it should work as long as you are using the right rooting method for your bootloader version. I have rooted a number of times as well as installing custom ROMS and A2SD. It is rare for the processes to work correctly first time around, you just need to persist.

Word of warning though, after a successful rooting and flashing of numerous ROMS I still managed to usb brick my desire when I flashed my latest ROM (used one of the more popular ROMs as well), now bricked and despite following the many unbrick guides can't get it fixed.

Now i just need to find a way to get it repaired under warranty from HTC :D don't fancy my chances. Think you can get it repaired by paying a fee to HTC? Don't think I can handle the thought of having to bin the phone.

Upvote 0
How exactly can a phone be bricked ,totally unusable ?,surely it just a bunch of components with a firmware programmed into it ,cant they be unbricked,(total newb ,who has no idea what he is talkin about).
My phone at the moment can start up and I can connect to a wireless signal to surf the net or download apps from the market however I can't access my SIM, make phone calls, access SD Card.

Apparently my phone is bricked and I need to re enable my SD card however my USB is knackered on the phone (some how) so I can't unbrick the phone as you need the PC to talk with the phone via USB.

The eggheads, much more intelligent that me, on other forums are telling me things to fix it but so far no good. So rooting/flashing roms is not 100% fool proof :D I'm evidence to prove that.

Upvote 0
My phone at the moment can start up and I can connect to a wireless signal to surf the net or download apps from the market however I can't access my SIM, make phone calls, access SD Card.

Apparently my phone is bricked and I need to re enable my SD card however my USB is knackered on the phone (some how) so I can't unbrick the phone as you need the PC to talk with the phone via USB.

The eggheads, much more intelligent that me, on other forums are telling me things to fix it but so far no good. So rooting/flashing roms is not 100% fool proof :D I'm evidence to prove that.

Just posted a new thread in this section with a link in it that may help fix your problem

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-desire/120994-root-problem-fix-links.html

Hope it works for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones