• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Have I bricked my phone?

NiceCupOfTea

Aug 24, 2009
Kent, UK
Hi guys, I would appreciate some help on this.

Backed up my phone data using both MyBackup & Sprite Backup for Android. Updated the ROM version as per instructions on HTC website. Phone came back up and worked perfectly.

Restored Sprite Backup (minus Application settings). Worked OK except:

- SMSes seem slightly corrupted. For some reason some old messages had new timestamps of the time they were restored to the phone - but when you open that conversation all the messages seem to have the correct timestamps. However, at least one was attributed to the wrong contact, and all the messages have a picture of a SIM card next to the contact name. Weird as I have no contacts on my SIM, they're all google/phone contacts. Anyway, Sprite support are working on this.

- Home screen gone, even after a reboot. Didn't realise but apparently you need to save it before the backup.

- Weirdly, I noticed one web page I read, the text is much bigger. I can't shrink it with a pinch, and the text size option does nothing. Strangely it's the same on my wife's updated Hero...

Anyway, decided to restore a few bits from the MyBackup backup (home settings(?) and maybe SMS - I forget now). It did it's thing and wanted a reboot so I obliged.

It started fine, then sat for 10 mins or so on the "HTC" screen - still animating. Eventually I pulled the battery, left for a minute, put it back in, and rebooted. Exactly the same.

Firstly, I want to say a big thanks to HTC for supplying a decent backup system for their phones :rolleyes:

Secondly, any way I can do a hard reset without the thing booting up properly?

I do like this phone, but why must it drive me to distraction at every possible opportunity? :(

Edit:

Wife just rang me and it rang but came up with a screen saying "touchflo has stopped - force close", but I can't get back to the home screen. It really is royally screwed... How do I do a hard reset?

MyBackup backup has the same problem with restored SMSes.

There's no way around it I'm afraid, as it's a function of the updated SMS db.

Getting a lot of crashes now. Starting to wish that I hadn't bothered with updating the OS :(

Try a reflash - that should put you back to a 'clean slate'. Then try restoring just the basics, such as settings, APNs etc... the minimum to avoid a lengthy reconfig. I've no experience with MyBackup so I don't know how it works, sorry.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys,

Not heard back from Sprite yet - though I did speak to one of the guys on a forum yesterday who said they were aware of the SMS db changes and Sprite would work because it restores by record rather than the file.

Hoping they'll come back with a new solution as I'd really like to get it sorted.

Actually thinking about just starting from scratch.

Upvote 0
Not heard back from Sprite yet - though I did speak to one of the guys on a forum yesterday who said they were aware of the SMS db changes and Sprite would work because it restores by record rather than the file.
I used MyBackup and Sprite when I restored and found that a combination of the two worked OK. I did not restore SMS messages though, as I had read about the database changes and the problems that they caused on restore. New messages are fine, but I decided that I could do without the old ones. I also had some problems with contacts during the restore process.

I now use SMSToMailbox Lite so I have a record of all my SMS messages.

Upvote 0
Hi NiceCupOfTea,

Please contact our CRMDesk here,

We should be able to locate the SMS culprit and solve for the build being released tomorrow (with Calendar and other support)

I talked to the guys here, and weren't able to replicate, so any help you can give us is very very welcome.

It allows you to work with our engineering team directly, which it seems you need for this issue,
Sprite Mobile | Sprite Mobile Backup

If you are willing they can even get a test build to you today :)

I have been told the date issue has been seen as some stage and stays for a short period of time while your device gets sms back in threading sync (their suggestion is to open an sms and then close messages, and let the device catchup), but I would like to see if there is an immediate notification we can do to get things in kilter, as this seems a bit barbaric :))

Anyway, please jump on board ur CRMDesk, we can definitely solve this quickly for you

Many thanks

Julian

Upvote 0
Hi NiceCupOfTea,

Ok, good news I hope... The guys have solved it, and tested on a few devices here.

They have posted an engineering build to CRMDesk, (your ticket)

It should fix the SMS issue,

Please also note it contains Calendar and a bunch of other updates.

Engineering builds are timelimited, so please verify it works, then remove and install official tomorrow when it's out

You may need to uninstall the old version to get it on your device...

This guide can help you get it on your device is as follows, or use HTC Sync on your PC allows you to install apps.
Sprite Mobile - Android Backup - SMS, Bookmarks, System Settings, Application Settings, Call Logs, MMS, Contacts, Photos, Video, Music and much more...

The user guide for Android Backup 1.2 (the previous version is here)
Sprite Mobile - Getting Started

The official build will go out tomorrow afternoon, after QA pass Calendar (they found a snag, dups on google sync'd calender events, it should be fixed by then and have made it through QA again)

Hope it helps,

Julian

Upvote 0
Hi Jaybea,

Latest builds of Android Backup support much deeper contacts on HTC (ie all the HTC content, as well as the usual Google Android standard content), I would suggest you restore with a late version of Sprite Backup... The good news is old backups also contain the right stuff to do a restore, we always back everything up... it's a big advantage it seems we have

We support both sync'd and non sync'd contacts, we also bring phone contacts back as phone ones, not google,

Another big update (hot on the heals of last weeks one) tomorrow with Calendar, a few yet to be announced content types, and a few fixes, like SMS for Hero extended support.

Many thanks

Julian

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones