1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Have pets? Don't give them these foods

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MoodyBlues, Feb 29, 2020.

1. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member Thread Starter

It can be hard keeping up with everything we need to know in order to be good pet parents.

One area you might not be completely familiar with is food that can be dangerous for non-human animals. This chart is a handy-dandy reference for that!

pets_harmful_food_022820.jpg

Please share it with anyone you know whose household includes fur-babies. :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Sadly only two families in my house and they already know.
    Lot's of apparently feral cats on my street but someone has to be feeding them.

3. sullencab

sullencab Member

Thank you for sharing. It is always better to just stick to the right dog food. Table food is bad for pets.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  4. MoodyBlues

You're welcome. :) I really want to help educate pet parents, so I hope everyone's saving and sharing the chart.
    It really depends on what the food is--and how it's prepared.

My Great Danes loved fruit and vegetables. I routinely let them eat any [approved by my vet] fruit or vegetable in its natural state. So plain baked potatoes were in, baked potatoes with salt, pepper, scallions...any other seasoning or topping, were out.

A lot also depends on the pet. We all know that chocolate is bad for dogs...right? Well, not necessarily. :thinking: One Halloween night, I carelessly left the remaining Hershey's Miniatures on the coffee table, and went to bed. When I got up...there were Hershey's wrappers all over the living-room, and an empty bag. I immediately called my vet, told her which dog ate it [so she knew her weight--178 pounds] and approximately how much she ate [about ⅔ of the bag]. My vet said there was nothing to worry about--from the chocolate...but keep an eye on her in case she swallowed any of its wrappers. :eek: [She didn't.] It's one thing if you're talking about a Great Dane, and entirely different if it's a Pekingese!

But if there's any uncertainty, you're right, sticking to an appropriate pet food is definitely best.

5. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Raphael (Greyhound) did the same, 1/2 a bag of Kisses. He ate most of the wrappers though. It was fun in the yard if the sun was out - his poop was very sparkly for a few days :rolleyes:

MoodyBlues and olbriar like this.
  6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

What about the other way around? Is eating Iams or something bad for humans?

maire5 and MoodyBlues like this.
  7. MoodyBlues

It certainly shouldn't be. A good brand of dog food or cat food should only contain a handful of ingredients, none of which should be bad for humans. Unappealing?, perhaps, but not dangerous.

When my Great Danes were on prescription allergy food, its list of ingredients was very short: fish and potatoes. Nothing there that would physically harm a human.

mikedt likes this.
  8. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Rottiserie Chicken is good for all carnivorous pets. Feed the humans first though.