• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Have rooted 2.1, confused as to what happens when OTA 2.2 hits

I've rooted my DIncredible, and have S-OFF through unrevoked. I know that when the OTA hits, I will lose root access. But with S-OFF I will be able to re-root.

My question is, how would I go about doing that? Is my phone safe to let the update go through? Also, I've read around, but there's no all-inclusive guide that I can see that has how to get root back once I get the OTA 2.2.

I'm kind of wary about using a leaked ROM instead, but that might be the easiest way to do this and keep root unless there's a guide out there.

Thanks in Advance.

I've rooted my DIncredible, and have S-OFF through unrevoked. I know that when the OTA hits, I will lose root access. But with S-OFF I will be able to re-root.

My question is, how would I go about doing that? Is my phone safe to let the update go through? Also, I've read around, but there's no all-inclusive guide that I can see that has how to get root back once I get the OTA 2.2.

I'm kind of wary about using a leaked ROM instead, but that might be the easiest way to do this and keep root unless there's a guide out there.

Thanks in Advance.

I didn't have s-off but I was rooted (unrevoked3) but the update did not take it took me to the clockwork recovery and the update was gone. I un rooted my phone and its been 24 hours and still no update. I was told that I would be able to receive and install the update with a rooted DINC but I can assure you that is not the case

Upvote 0
Just to chime in; I was using stock radio/rom with root. I got the OTA but it failed to install because it tries to patch CityID which I had removed. However I'm pretty sure it will succeed if you have root but didn't remove those apps. Personally I just decided to run the downgrade rom to remove root, then ran the update.zip to upgrade it to froyo and it worked fine. Make sure you have s-off and then once on 2.2 you can re-root it, takes about 5 mins.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones