• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Have T-Mobile Stopped Doing the

T-Mobile generally just need a big FAIL stamp putting all over them. I rang my local store the other day and they said they had the Desire back in stock, so I went down the following day and they told me that they couldn't transfer my number from T-Mobile PAYG to a T-Mobile contract :thinking: So I was basically like 'wtf?' and they told me I had to go direct and ring them up. So I've just done that, and they've now told me that I actually can't even keep my current number if I want to get a Desire on contract :mad: Which is really annoying, cos I've had this number for about 5 years now and I don't really want to have to change it. Anyways, I told the guy that that was going to be really inconvenient and asked if he could knock some money off the price of the phone, which he's agreed to do. So there is a slightly happy ending to the story, but I'm still annoyed about having to change my number... :(

Upvote 0
I was told three different things about migrating the PAYG number to a contract with T-mobile...
1st shop - It 'might' work, but your number might disappear (their word) in to the computer when they try and it'd be lost.

2nd shop - We'll do it but it's a real pain in the arse. We could be stood around for 20 minutes or so, and even then it could be problematic

3rd shop - Yep...no problem. The other two shops simply don't want to do it, because it does take a few minutes to do, and the assistant earns far less commission for that sale - about 50p instead of

Upvote 0
I think T-Mobile's FUP is 1GB not 3GB (Apologies, I stand corrected, it is indeed 3GB for Android phones only). For me personally I have wifi at home, and based on a fair bit of browsing outside, twitter updates and some sat nav usage, my usage app (3G Watchdog - Heartily recommend) tells me I am likely to use only about 15% of that. The surprise to me was the sat nav use, which appears to be minimal at best assuming you don't overlay the map with satellite view (Drove 30 miles using it and used only just over 1MB).

As for the deal on the phone, I was 9 months past my contract end date, and my usage is not that much, so when I called to cancel my contract, they went away and came back with

Upvote 0
My apologies, you are indeed correct that it is 3GB - woohoo - even better. For anyone else who doubted that, here is a copy of their Ts and Cs straight from the following link:

Fair Use Plans - Our Services - T-Mobile

Pay monthly plans which include internet on your phone on an Android phone You'll need internet coverage, check it at t-mobile.co.uk/streetcheck. Remember that you can only use your internet on your phone Booster in the UK and you can't use your phone as a modem or use web'n'walk Plus for peer to peer file sharing, or making internet phone calls. *Internet on your phone comes with a fair use policy of 3GB a month. We'll monitor how much you send and receive each calendar month so that we can protect our network for all our internet on your customers. If you use more than your fair use policy amount, we won't charge you any more, but we may restrict how you can use your plan, depending on how often you go over your amount and by how much. As your phone is always connected to the internet, if you remove your internet on your phone Plus Booster from your account you'll automatically be charged up to

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones