1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Have the TB now, should I get the Charge or...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by WizeGuyDezignz, Jun 7, 2011.

1. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Android Expert
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    San Diego
    Hey guys and gals, here is my situation. My smartphone history is as follows....HTC Touch, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Thunderbolt.

Let me start off by saying that I love HTC Sense. I think it's the best of the bunch. But since my Incredible, I have been using GoLauncher EX and Beautiful Widgets for my home screen clock/weather. So I'm really not "seeing" much of Sense.

With that being said, I'm open to changing to a different brand/UI.

Let me also say that I really do like the Thunderbolt. It looks good, it's super fast without lag and the browser is awesome. But I am starting to get frustrated with its cons. And I won't go into detail since most of you know about them (battery life, data connectivity issues, random reboots, etc.).

I am well past my 14 day return window as I've had my TB for a couple of months now. So if I change, I think I will have to just sell my TB and buy the Charge (or other phone) at full retail.

Do you think I should make the switch? Or do you think I should wait for the Bionic since that phones seems to have resurfaced and is looking good?

Please give me any input possible, I appreciate it!

Advertisement

2. twistedlim

twistedlim Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Michigan
    I would wait. As frustrating as it can be, there will probably be a new phone or 2 out before Christmas. Can you go back to your dinc in the meantime?
    I like the charge. It does not have near the same quadrant scores and there is a bit of hesitation in the operation but I would recommend it. Quadrant scores sucked on the Dinc also but I would never call it slow. It is butter smooth with launcher pro or go launcher. I would recommend a different launcher than stock and K9 for email.

Pros:
    Great screen, actually somewhat visable in sunlight[​IMG]
    Good solid battery life
    Solid operation (so far, no reboots)
    Light

Cons:
    Not as quick at start up (although you would probably get used to it in a few days)
    No Led notifications
    Activating GPS has a warning every time.

Thats about it so far

3. Halcyon

Halcyon Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 15, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I made the switch for the battery life alone and it was well worth it. I would say go for it. I personally like the design of Samsung phones. Im hoping they have changed their support model around updates. Being a Droid im betting it gets the updates in a timely fashion.

WizeGuyDezignz likes this.
  4. addictedtocars

addictedtocars Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    I would not dump TB for Charge at full retail, wait until fall and see what comes out, I supect Moto Bionic will be here by then.

5. Outsider(Avid HustlaZ)

Outsider(Avid HustlaZ) Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    rapper, producer and security
    Phoenix, AZ

The bionic from what if heard isnt coming out at all...IMO go for the charge...i use to have TB had good quadrant scores(not like those matter) but now im rooted with the charge and doing 1500+ on quadrant plus battery life is amazing..go for it its worth every dime

6. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
    The original Bionic design was cancelled but it's coming by Fall in revamped form with 4.5" qHD screen, OMAP4 dual core plus LTE. GSII Function is also coming on Verizon by Fall. I think you better wait more with your Tbolt.

7. Halcyon

Halcyon Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 15, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Who the heck wants a 4'5 inch screen? 4'3 is big enough.

8. Outsider(Avid HustlaZ)

Outsider(Avid HustlaZ) Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    rapper, producer and security
    Phoenix, AZ

Thats tru...if you want a phone that big you mite as well go get the xoom or a tablet of some sort...4.3 inches for a screen is big enough.

9. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
    4.5" qHD on Bionic is not set in stone yet. Only one source said it but others speculate it will be 4.3". I also don't like phone screen size growing too much. 4.3" is about maximum I can take.

10. GunnerJim

GunnerJim Well-Known Member
    None

May 28, 2011
    Tech
    Washington State
    If you dislike the HTC TB so much, call VZW, explain your plight, make sure you document all that is wrong with the phone, and they will usually bump you to Tier 2, let them know how dissatisfied you are as a customer and usually Big Red will say take the phone back... That is if the TB drives you that crazy. I believe better phones may be on the horizon, this summer will mark the end of unlimited as we know it, if you are in a 4G area and can use it, get the Charge. Those better phones will be limited... VZW knows that many are holding out for the Iphone 5, and when it is released, the bandwidth pipe will shrink as fruit clogs up the pipe, so data tiering like AT&T is the answer... So you better get the 4G unlimited locked and stay there a while @ $29.99. My 2 cents.

WizeGuyDezignz likes this.
  11. WizeGuyDezignz

None

Apr 18, 2010
    San Diego
    Thanks GunnerJim, I did just that last night before I left work. I sent an email to their HQ team or whatever it is. It's the same email that I've had other issues resolved through in the past.

I know there will be better phones by the Fall, but I figured I could just get the Charge now and then decide in the Fall what I wanted to do. I will let you know what they say.

Also, I saw a video on Youtube with a Charge running the Altered Beast rom. Is there a tutorial on how to root the Charge and install that rom? I've never rooted before, but I am very computer literate and technically saavy. I think I can do it with some good instructions. Thanks!

12. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
  13. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Android Expert

Oct 14, 2009
    I sold my TB and THREE batteries on ebay. Got the charge at retail and love it. Lightweight, gorgeous screen and great battery life. very happy. With go launcher and dolphin, there is no lag.

14. GunnerJim

None

May 28, 2011
    Tech
    Washington State
  15. GunnerJim

None

May 28, 2011
    Tech
    Washington State
    I wonder if the SGSII will have 4G LTE, like the Galaxy Tab 10.1 coming to VZW this month will have???

16. Mikey P

Mikey P Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    SALES
    GOOSE CREEK, SC
    Was lucky enough to trade straight up tbolt for charge on craigslist and I must say I am extremely pleased. Although the Samsung UI wasn't too bad in my opinion, I did put launcher pro on it. I am digging the design and really like the physical buttons on the bottom. GO FOR IT.

17. eal

eal Newbie
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Buttons r nice, but I miss that kickstand. Should b on all smart phones!

18. GunnerJim

None

May 28, 2011
    Tech
    Washington State
    Battery life, battery life, battery life, I think that is the ticket, yeah that's the ticket... The Custom ROMS are looking better and better, the Altered Beast, PB&J, GummyCharged, Kangfuscius, really digging the devs and modders hard at work!

19. keychain

keychain Lurker
    None

May 24, 2011
    I just upgraded to the tbolt last week and i think it sucks as a phone. I went from the original D1. I saw no difference in any speeds (besides the 4g). I also was getting the reboot issue. I took that phucker back to the store and now have a droid charge. In 1 day i noticed a huge difference in battery life and the phone is way better imho. Im glad i swapped it out. The Sense UI is crap it should be blown up

20. WildH

WildH Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    How do you really feel? Lol. I'm in the same boat. I really like HTC (mostly because sponsor a cycling team) but I have had tb since release and agree. It has more issues than acceptable for what I do/need. My charge will be here tomorrow! Hoping it is what everyone is saying.

21. WizeGuyDezignz

None

Apr 18, 2010
    San Diego
    Just as an update, Verizon called me regarding my email that complained about the TB and they said that they needed me to call tech support to do trouble shooting with my TB. She wouldn't switch me to a Charge.

I don't want to deal with tech support, because they will probably act like nothing is wrong or will just want to swap me with a new TB.

Anyone have any ideas on how to score a Charge from customer service without having to sell my TB and buy a Charge at full retail? Do I just keep complaining until they give in?

22. Gravytrain

Gravytrain Android Enthusiast
    None

May 7, 2011
    Got my charge replacement in today... I love it, stable as a rock so far. Trilled to death to send that tb back!!

23. WildH

WildH Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 22, 2011

Yeah gravy got one coming tomorrow. Hoping its better than my tb.

24. Gravytrain

Gravytrain Android Enthusiast
    None

May 7, 2011
    So far its great. The only thing driving me nuts is the keyboard.

25. GunnerJim

None

May 28, 2011
    Tech
    Washington State
    WiseGuy, I would just keep the complaining up, write a list of grievances, talk to tier 2 tech support, tell them that the problem is inherently the TB. No matter what you do, explain all your beefs, do it about 3 times a day for two-three days. i would also ask them if they value you as a customer of x-Years. Usually Big Red wants to keep a customer...