• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

have you dropped the X?

I want to hear someone who dropped it on concrete!
Tonight I drove home with it on my lap and when I hopped out of my car it fell in the gravel with a horrid thud. I almost screamed "OH GOD NOOoOoooo!!" @3am

Luckily it landed backside down. Tiny little nick up top opposite the camera. I'll live with that.

I got it launch day and two days into ownership I had a dream I sat on it and snapped it with my bony ass. Woke up in a panic! :D

Upvote 0
Due to the limited amount of space in my apartment, I sleep in a loft bed that sits 5 feet off the floor. Next to the bed is my wardrobe that goes almost to the ceiling, but leaves about an 8 inch gap for me to put my alarm clock (i.e. 1st generation ipod touch), glasses and phone. Well, last night I misjudged where the edge was and my Droid X fell about 7 and a half feet, face first, onto the hard wood floor. I keep it in a cheapo silicon case with an anti-glare screen protector, and I knew those wouldn't offer much protection at that height landing face down. I sat in my bed for a few minutes pondering what had just happened, not really wanting to see the outcome. But I got down and looked and I'm happy to report that there was no physical damage whatsoever. It seems to be running fine too. Bullet dodged (I hope). Now to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Upvote 0
I want to hear someone who dropped it on concrete!

I dropped mine on the sidewalk while visiting San Diego last week. It all seemed to happen in slow-motion, but it hit on the corner before settling on its back. The impact threw the battery cover up in the air. Of course I assumed the worst, but I was very fortunate. There's a small scuff on one of the bottom corners but everything else came out unscathed.

I now have the gigantic body glove case - I hate the size but it does feel indestructible in this thing

Upvote 0
Yes I dropped my X and that is the reason she is my X. Shouldn't say that she is a nice lady and she and wife get along. However, I think we are talking about phones here and yes I have dropped my Droid X a few times and not damaged at all. By the way I try my best not to drop it or my Incredible. My wife says I am smartphone obsessed. Guess I better pay attention to that don't want her to be my next X, however, she is understanding about it.

Upvote 0
Dropped it walking out to my car. I used to hacky sack a lot in school and no joke, I stalled it with my foot before impact. I was shocked and relieved. Way to go muscle memory from useless time waster!

hahahah i do this allll the time.. it rare to to the stall with most objects but i do my best to stop the impact.. im an automotive tech and when i drop a tool i always do the stall technique.. helps a lot

people look at me weird though and always ask if i played soccer.. they just dont get it

Upvote 0
I keep my phone between my legs on the seat when in the truck and the other day I had to stop in the road and got out cause it was imperative that I act quickly and next thing I hear is my phone hitting the concrete. Screen side down :( Luckily the only scratch was on the back. Needless to say I went and bought a case the next day! Can't hurt my child.

Upvote 0
I was walking early (5am) one morning with a friend. I had just made a phone call, it flew out of my hand while trying to put it back in my pocket. I probably flew 3-4 feet and hit the concrete sidewalk. My friend just laughed and said "i thought you like that phone". No damage at all, best i can tell it landed on a corner. I have a hard plastic case from verizon from day 1.

Upvote 0
The first drop is kinda like putting the first ding in a brand new car. It makes you feel a bit sick but once its done the pressure somehow is lessened from that moment on. I first saw this post a few days back and I thought about it happening. Yesterday, the kiddo was goofing off while we were waiting for a set of tires to get mounted on the Jeep and all the sudden I hear that sound. Smack! And there was my phone on the concrete floor. Thanks for the bodyglove! No damage to report. And the kid is undamaged as well.

Upvote 0
I dropped my DX from the counter at the bank, where I was making up my deposit slip. It was like it was all in slow motion! The DX fell 3 feet to the hard tile floor. To me, it was interesting what happened next. The snap-on leather case (w/kickstand) seemed to snap off and seemed to act like a cushion to the blow. The phone didn't really hit the floor, the case did. With the case breaking apart, it was more like a broken fall than a direct hit on the tile.

Bottom line: no scratches on the phone or the case. Everything's nice, new and shiney! BTW, I also use steinheil anti-fingerprint. This experience was kind of like an advertisement for cases. I think I'm going to get another case that is even more protective as this baby's going to be around awhile. :) :)

Rooted!!!!! :)

Upvote 0
My son dropped mine from about 3 feet up onto my bare foot. I think it broke my toe. The X is fine. Lesson learned: Wear shoes around the X.

ROFL...thanks for the chuckle.

I haven't dropped mine, but earlier this week I was in a hotel (business travel), which had very few outlets. And we all know how "long" the charging cord is for the DX. So it was on the floor charging. Hurrying to get ready for work, I walk around the corner and step right on it. It was that immediate reaction - like when you step on someone's foot, so it didn't get my full weight, but I did have shoes (heels, but not stilettos) on.

I was like OHNOOHNOOHNOOHNOOOOOO!!!!!!

This is my second DX, and I've only had it for a week.

Not even a scratch, not a mark, nothing. And it was screen side up with no screen protector (which will be rectified very soon). ;-)

Upvote 0
Mine slipped out of an exterior pocket of my purse yesterday while shopping. I have a smooth/glossy silicone case and it hit the store floor (concrete base with commercial tile) flat face down. I nearly died... BUT apparently the lip of the case is enough to keep the screen from touching the ground on impact and it suffered no damages! WTG X!

I am pissed about the car dock though, even though they say it can handle having a protective case in there (there is an insert sleeve you remove if you have your X in a case) the silicone cases don't fit. I had to "alter" my case a bit to allow it to plug in completely after I got tired of having to take the X out of its case just to dock. Also, the charger portion of the dock doesn't snug in very well into the outlet in my truck. I had to use the charger from my POS BB Storm! Ugh.

Upvote 0
I dropped my X today for the first time. I had just gotten out of the car in the parking lot at Kroger and reached my right hand into my right pocket to pull my phone out. As I started to pull it out of my pocket it kind of caught on the inside of the pocket and went flying out of my hand. It landed screen down on the concrete parking lot. I quickly picked it up and checked for damange and to my relief there was none at all. I am using the blue glossy gel case from Verizon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones