• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Have you ever wonderd why iOs has more apps than Android

In all honesty I lose respect for developers who cater to a minority.

A small example is the recent PVZ2 debacle. I was surprised that they released apple OS only and then simply said TBD for the Android version. But then I played it on the apple touch mp3 player and decided I won't sully my Android phone with that terrible sequel when they get around to it.

A more important example is a radio show I follow released an apple OS only version. I was mad when it happened and lobbied for an Android version. By the time they got around to releasing an Android version I moved on from caring and I listen to the show less frequently. Perhaps if they had been smart enough to include me in the beginning they could have hooked me to their content with more than one medium and engaged me as a listener. Instead, my attention has wandered and I barely care about the show anymore.

Upvote 0
Yup. I was pissed when I saw that Instructure Canvas only had an app for iOS. I would like to access my homework assignments and grades from my Android. They finally got around to releasing an Android version and I decided I wasn't going to bother.

9GAG was the same(Ironic given the constant mocking of Apple on their website). They finally released an Android version, but by that point I had moved on to other websites.

Upvote 0
There are a few apps (like the ones mentioned in the link) that i would really love to see on Android.

According to the writer/blogger in the attached link in the OP post (that's me, of course. ;)) it seems as if some developers are concerned on the wide variety of Android devices and screen sizes that might not go well with some of their apps. And in all fairness, wouldn't you?

Upvote 0
According to the writer/blogger in the attached link in the OP post (that's me, of course. ;)) it seems as if some developers are concerned on the wide variety of Android devices and screen sizes that might not go well with some of their apps. And in all fairness, wouldn't you?
In all fairness? Yes, I would. :)

As a [former] programmer, I can definitely feel for them. My first programming and sysadmin job involved a *nix server plus lots of peripherals--including all sorts of Wyse terminals, and various printers (some local, some system). I remember the checking I had to do [programmatically] so the terminals displayed correctly or reports printed correctly, regardless of which location a user logged in on. I can extrapolate from that--like to the Nth degree!--what it's like with all the Android devices, their sizes, their features, their quirks... My head hurts just thinking about it.

But, with all that said, I still find it annoying that developers ignore Android (at least at first), when Android is by leaps and bounds the #1 mobile OS.

Upvote 0
I know i have ...

Even though Android devices seems to sell a lot more than iOs {nowadays} iOS clearly has been the winner when it comes to having some "popular" applications.

If interested ...

Read on.

"Nike's Nike+ FuelBand still hasn't made the leap."

I don't think it's likely to either, not for the moment. Almost certainly that's an exclusive agreement between Apple and Nike, and you can bet your bottom dollar that a considerable sum of money has changed hands as well.

EDIT:

This is why we're unlikely to see an Android app for the Nike FuelBand.
http://hacknikefuelband.com/news.html
Dec 3rd 2012 - Received "cease and desist" from Nike Inc.,

Upvote 0
In terms of paid apps, I think I read somewhere that developers earn more from the Apple app store? And in terms of the display size, I suppose any developer wanting to go into Android can always decide first to develop for the most popular Android devices.

I'd say that was very true. Because in so many countries paid Android apps are just not available, it's free or ad-supported only. China, where there's more Android devices than any other country, AFAIK it's free or ad-supported only, even from the many Chinese app stores. While Apple operates a paid iTunes Store here. Although I think iOS users here are more likely to pay for apps than the majority of Android users, really because they tend to be more affluent as a rule, i.e. they were able to afford an iPhone or iPad in the first place. And also because Android app piracy is rife in China, and probably most other emerging markets. To pirate with an iOS device, you do have to go out of your way to jailbreak it.

Upvote 0
I understand why they got started with Apple, as they really did get the head start, but it is irresponsible, imo, when developers don't keep up with the changing landscapes of smartphone sales/use. It only makes sense for your business to make your product available to as many people as possible, and that would include the ever growing population of Android users.

Upvote 0
Yes, I was about to point that out too in my previous post but then deleted it in case someone takes issue with the point :p

I know about the Android app piracy issue first hand of course, and about iOS vs Android pricing. In fact when I bought my with-Google Samsung in Hong Kong, while I was waiting the Samsung dealer actually installed a Chinese app store, and they said to me "You can get the paid stuff for free with this." :rolleyes:

I think there's some devs in China that develop for Android first then iOS later. I've seen a few times, things like iOS or iPhone version coming soon. Kingsoft in Zhuhai always seems to develop for Android first, Kingsoft Office. Dolphin always seems to promote their Android apps more than their iOS ones, and GO doesn't seem to develop for iOS at all.

Well, Apple already has an advantage over Google. They can offer their paid iTunes store here. Google Music isn't available here, as well as Movies, Books, etc etc...

I think the music industry has maybe partially solved the music piracy issue in China, they give it away and have ads on the websites, like Baidu Music.

Upvote 0
Didn't the Play Store recently surpass 1 million apps? So now we have more :)

At IO in July Google announced 900 million Android activations, 48 billion apps downloaded and 2.5 billion apps are installed every month

Later I think theyannounced the Play Store hit 50 billion downloads and over a million apps.

I don't know about apple's Play Store. I think they hit 50 billion in the first half of the year. Never heard them announce a million apps available. But I don't follow them closely.

Upvote 0
it doesn't. Google Play has a ton more than iOS's App Store. i think the thread might have a bit more accuracy if the title had said 'Have you ever wondered why iOS has more polished apps than Android?'

it is true, nothing sucks more than viewing a blown up phone app on a Nexus 10. but it beats the teeny centered 'tile' that happens on the iPad when the app in question is iPhone only.

I am pleased though that some of the apps that previously were iOS only have not only been ported over to Android, (Infinite Flight is one of my favorites, miles better than the dated X-Plane 9) but have also reduced their in-app pricing by half, and best of all, not lost any quality or polish in the port. Infinite Flight looks as good if not better in Android than it did in iOS

Upvote 0
it doesn't. Google Play has a ton more than iOS's App Store. i think the thread might have a bit more accuracy if the title had said 'Have you ever wondered why iOS has more polished apps than Android?'

Maybe because Apple can say to a dev, "Sorry mate we already have enough Bejeweled clones in the iTunes Store. Come back when you've got something a bit more original and substantial." Android doesn't enjoy that privilege.

Upvote 0
I didnt read the article, but there are two reasons.

iphone was around first, and whether we like it or not, iphone has more of a stand alone name recognition with the average person than android does. sure lots of people know samsung makes great phones, but less of them know android personally. iphone is kind of a generic term used by the "average" person for any smartphone. (like "band-aid" means any brand of bandage), much more so than "android" is.

second reason-money

you make more money with iphone apps than the android version. iphone users just tend to spend more money for apps than android users.

Upvote 0
second reason-money

you make more money with iphone apps than the android version. iphone users just tend to spend more money for apps than android users.
I've heard this a good number of times, but I really wonder where the proof is!

It seems the thinking goes something like this: "People who buy Apple toys do so because they're more affluent and they can afford them, hence they can also spend money on apps."

But MY version goes like this: "People who buy Android devices do so because they want Android as their OS. Cost isn't the issue."

Ditto for the misconceptions about me and my fellow Linux users. It's not that we can't afford window$ crap, it's that we don't WANT window$ crap! :laugh:

Reactions: anmire
Upvote 0
I've heard this a good number of times, but I really wonder where the proof is!

It seems the thinking goes something like this: "People who buy Apple toys do so because they're more affluent and they can afford them, hence they can also spend money on apps."

But MY version goes like this: "People who buy Android devices do so because they want Android as their OS. Cost isn't the issue."

Ditto for the misconceptions about me and my fellow Linux users. It's not that we can't afford window$ crap, it's that we don't WANT window$ crap! :laugh:

It depends on how they measure it, maybe. There certainly is a very broad spectrum of android users and phone models, and most of those make up the lower end.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones