• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Have you guys been keeping up with Asimo?

ninja_reject

Android Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2011
He is this amazing Japanese robot, and I think it is incredible that sometime in my lifetime robots with true artificial intelligence will be commonplace. Anyone else excited about this awesome little guy? (I think there is more than one Asimo in that Honda lab). He can turn to avoid bumping into people, recognize faces and greet "friends', distinguish between voices when several people are talking at once, make his own decisions based on circumstances, even dance. I wonder what robots will be capable of in five years.

new version amazing robot asimo - YouTube

Huh. I wonder why my thread looks all wacky. The link in a strange place, that space before the video.

They're trying to keep a low profile until the time is right. Your thread has been compromised.. (cue dramatic string music)

skynet_98105.jpg

Reactions: ninja_reject
Upvote 0
I fixed it, it's a common issue when using IMG tags around a youtube video. It can also be caused by a video link ending with "&feature=" if I recall correctly. ;)

About the topic at hand, I do know about that robot. In fact, I received $100 in Amazon gift cards because I helped creating a database of associations the robot would make. :)

Upvote 0
Really? That is incredible. What kind of associations? What else do you know about what he can do?

Also, thanks for fixing it. I looked and looked, but couldn't find the right way to post a video.

Maybe I worded it poorly, but the only thing I did was to answer a whole lot of questions to help create the AI. For example, you see'd a list of tasks and would have to sort them by priorities (ex: baby crying, something on the stove, doorbell, water some plants, etc). There were quite a few categories of questions, one even involving uploading images of common household items. Or rephrasing sentences.

Anyone could have done that (seriously, it was open to everyone). I think it still exists, but there are no rewards anymore. Plus the website became very slow. (OpenMind project of the Honda Research Institute)

PS: About videos, we don't mind fixing it when we see it, but FYI it works great by just pasting the url directly in the post, with no tags whatsoever. ;)

Upvote 0
Really? That is incredible. What kind of associations? What else do you know about what he can do?

Also, thanks for fixing it. I looked and looked, but couldn't find the right way to post a video.

When you think about what all is involved in writing the programming and the hardware involved for making a robot do even the simplest tasks you can't help but think how awesome the human body is. Even the simplest task of teaching a robot how to grab a cup without smashing it, all the sensors that need to be put in place, the programming required to teach the robot not to squeeze too tight, where to grab the cup etc, it's quite the achievement.

Where the science could meet Hollywood is when someone creates AI that has the capability of teaching itself and growing at an exponential rate. Movies like iRobot, AI, and the Terminator series are entertaining to me because I actually believe that there's an actual foreshadowing of what could be. That is until actual science debunks my movie going fantasy and deems it as ridiculous.

When I worked with semiconductors it was just a matter of creating layers of chemicals that have distinct properties from each other that allowed the flow of energy to travel in different patterns for different functions. And lets face it, that's what happens within the human body at the cellular level. It's definitely something to keep an eye out for, oh and if your future self should visit you, I'd take his/her advice.... /tinfoil hat

Upvote 0
I sometimes wonder if we will end up making ourselves obsolete. At first the robots will be capable of most of our less complicated tasks. Then the only jobs that will seem safe would be social services, and designing things, and maybe jobs like therapists and profilers, the arts, where a human mind seems essential to understanding other human minds. Then robots will become capable of more complex tasks, who knows where it could stop. The robots will be designing more robots, performing surgery, thinking of new ideas. It really is fascinating.

Upvote 0
If you brick him... that is going to be expensive to replace.

True, true. I can honestly say, without bitterness or resentment, that the cute little robot is worth more than me. If someone gave him the last parachute instead of me, I wouldn't be (that) offended.

@Sento, I don't know if even the XDA devs are up to making that rom, lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones