1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Having issues saving pics from a text, some save small.

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by JohnnyScience, Oct 25, 2014.

1. JohnnyScience

JohnnyScience Newbie

So I am using the standard app for texts, and I have some pictures I want to save.

When I click the bottom of the picture by the time, I get a menu that allows me to "save attachment".

Some pictures seem to save the right size, full screen while others seem to save almost a thumbnail.

Then if I take a screen shot, the pictures are also saved in a thumbnail size instead of a full screen shot.

Any idea why or how to fix this? There are some pictures that I really want to save but if they're saved that small will be distorted if I try to blow them up too much.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

Photos sent via text (aka MMS) are reduced resolution to make a smaller file size and reduce data requirements. This is a general MMS system thing, not an Android thing. If you want to photos in the original quality, send/receive them by email or by cloud storage such as Google Drive or Dropbox.

3. JohnnyScience

JohnnyScience Newbie

but that doesn't make sense why some mms images are normal size and others are only saving as a thumbnail?

4. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Some people, like me, reduce pictures for sending. I reduce size and remove EXIF.
    If sending an MMS, I run it through ImageShrink before even attaching it. If data connection is weird, a photo will get reduced to 640x480@72 dpi. It's usually 600x800 normally. Everything I have in Flickr is that size.

No one bothers to do so normally and having to wait until a 10MP pic opens in email is a pain if you have a poor connection. If it isn't instant, I'm gone.

Full size pics go in dropbox for family and friends.