• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root having problems rooting with unrevoked

rech9901

Lurker
May 25, 2011
So I am new to rooting and after watching numerous videos and reading numerous post I was convinced that it was simple however I have not succeded yet.
Here are my current version of my EVO:
Android: 2.2
Baseband 2.15.00.11.19
Software: 3.70.651.1

I successfully installed the driver from unrevoked and it says in my device manager that Android boatloader interface is the driver.

When the unrevoked v3.32 program loads up, it says that it found an Evo 4g. I click ok and it says that it is pushing recovery and then after about 10 secs, it states that it failed to push Recovery, Terminating.

I have tried reinstalling both the drivers and the unrevoked3.32 software to no avail.

Any ideas as to what is going wrong or what I need to do in order to root me phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need additional info

The same thing happened to me last night. I uninstalled htc sync which i could only find using astro file manager, atleast with the ability to uninstall/delete. I downloaded the hboot drivers and then launched unrevoked and the first time it didnt work. I got the same error you did. I just tried it a second time and it rooted correctly for me. I installed a custom rom last night too and figured out how to set up wireless tethering an hour ago. Ive already seen increased battery life in just one day. Goodluck gettin it going, its worth it in the end!

Reactions: rech9901
Upvote 0
I've tried at least 5 or 6 times and this is what happens every time.... I haven't uninstalled HTC sync on my EVO, do I need to or are you referring to my computer? I do not have HTC sync on my computer (not sure if you can even install it on your computer). I've even tried to force close as many running apps as possible thinking one of them might be interfering.

Upvote 0
I've tried at least 5 or 6 times and this is what happens every time.... I haven't uninstalled HTC sync on my EVO, do I need to or are you referring to my computer? I do not have HTC sync on my computer (not sure if you can even install it on your computer). I've even tried to force close as many running apps as possible thinking one of them might be interfering.

it is for your computer. here it is: HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC EVO? 4G (Sprint) - Downloads. just download it to your computer and install it, the uninstall it. the driver that is downloaded will still be there. not sure but for some it seems to help in the root process.

Upvote 0

HTC sync is supposed to be installed on your computer its not for your EVO, though the executable is on the SD card so you can transfer it over and install it easily. Go ahead and install it on the comp and then uninstall it...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones