• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Having problems.

tmorales509

Dec 26, 2012
So i don't know if this is a network problem or htc problem. I have found threads on this problem but no solution has worked yet. So i am able to browse the internet(although sometimes can be slow), i am able to send and recieve regular text(sms) and of course i can recieve phone calls. However these are the few problems i am having.

-I cannot download MMS or picture messages. When i click download it will act like it is downloaded then a couple mins later give an error saying "Message not downloaded, generic network failure"

-Sometime but not all the time when i try to send sms messages i will get an error saying something like "radio interference network shortage"

-And finally i am unable to watch youtube videos, whenever i try to watch it will just say "lost connection to server, tap to retry" and it will just say that over and over.

I have already tried factory reset as well as made sure everything was up to date.

I also notice that when i login to my virgin mobile account, it states that i have a htc one V which i do not, i have the htc evo v 4g, dunno if that has anything to do with it or not.

Hey there, welcome to the forums.

Couple questions for you.

Is this a new activation?

When you activated the phone, did you see if there was any software updates available?

Have you gone through the S-Off Process and flashed a new radio? (That will usually fix the radio issue. Unless you have the update available. That will fix it as well.)

Upvote 0
So i don't know if this is a network problem or htc problem. I have found threads on this problem but no solution has worked yet. So i am able to browse the internet(although sometimes can be slow), i am able to send and recieve regular text(sms) and of course i can recieve phone calls. However these are the few problems i am having.

-I cannot download MMS or picture messages. When i click download it will act like it is downloaded then a couple mins later give an error saying "Message not downloaded, generic network failure"

-Sometime but not all the time when i try to send sms messages i will get an error saying something like "radio interference network shortage"

-And finally i am unable to watch youtube videos, whenever i try to watch it will just say "lost connection to server, tap to retry" and it will just say that over and over.

I have already tried factory reset as well as made sure everything was up to date.

I also notice that when i login to my virgin mobile account, it states that i have a htc one V which i do not, i have the htc evo v 4g, dunno if that has anything to do with it or not.

The radio shortage error message is well known, about 6 weeks ago Virgin starting pushing out an ota radio update that's corrected it, however many people still have not received it yet, if you root and s-off the phone you can then manually flash the new radio. As for your other problems it almost sounds as if the phone isn't provisioned properly, you should call Virgins tech support and explain the situation and see if they'll re-provision your services to try correcting the issues.

Upvote 0
You just have to ride out the 24-72 hours investigation and hope that you end up with a tier one technician, it's a pretty simple fix they have you shut down while they remove your phone from the system, go down the list checking all of the boxes for provisioning all of your services, reboot and hopefully you have joy.

Upvote 0
I have noticed that if i am connected to 4g that youtube does work. However the town i live in does not have 4g service. I figured this out when i drove about 15 minutes to the next city over which does offer 4g service. However mms still does not work even under 4g. I don't see why network connection would be an issue though, the phone i had before this the lg slider worked perfectly on 3g, yes youtube videos did have to rebuffer quite a bit but they did load and mms was no problem with. Anyway VM sent me a message tonight saying if i was still having problems to give them a call so i will call them again in the morning,

Upvote 0
So should i mention provisioning next time i talk to them?

Yes, definitely I would.

I have noticed that if i am connected to 4g that youtube does work. However the town i live in does not have 4g service. I figured this out when i drove about 15 minutes to the next city over which does offer 4g service. However mms still does not work even under 4g. I don't see why network connection would be an issue though, the phone i had before this the lg slider worked perfectly on 3g, yes youtube videos did have to rebuffer quite a bit but they did load and mms was no problem with. Anyway VM sent me a message tonight saying if i was still having problems to give them a call so i will call them again in the morning,

This is a known issue with this phone, there's so many services that have to be registered with the network, sometimes not all of the boxes get checked off by the computer when your phone is first activated. Being the first 4G phone available on Virgin, the activation software is still a little bit buggy at times.

Upvote 0
Well i called them again and got nowhere again. Talked to a guy that sounded like some 18 year old they just hired off the street. He was reading off a checklist of things to do in this situation..He tried a couple things which didnt work. They told me to dial ##clear# and click reset, however when i click reset it ask for a password that i do not know. So after all that he tells me to call back in 3 more days. And i dont know if he said they were going to try and figure out the password or he wanted me to try and figure it out. Is there anyway i can get this password? And after all that most people would be like "thank you for calling vm, have a nice day". He just says, "alright later". lol.

Upvote 0
My phone is not rooted. It says couldn't read the msl. Is this a htc cdma device.

Yes it is, if you need root for the msl reader app then in relative order of difficulty would be to get root and run the program, get VM tech support to give it to you, notice that I said tech support not a customer service rep, and last but definitely the hardest, get CDMA Workshop or QPST to read the msl directly from the phone.

Upvote 0
You don't need a password to do the ##clear#. All you have to do is on the dialpad type ##clear# then wait,Then hit the menu button on the right hand side then you get the option to reset.Then you wait for the phone to do it's thing.

On my phone when I use the stock dialer to enter ##CLEAR# it will bring up the EPST menu, however when you click on reset it asks for your password(msl) before it will run, without the msl you can only review your settings, to be able to modify them you do need your unlock code.

Upvote 0
So after calling the last time i found out about an hour ago that my phone wasn't working at all now, no phone calls or regular sms. So i just ended up swapping back to my old phone now, They took down notes and i am supposed to call back tomorrow or wednesday. This guy i last talked to was amazed that they have my phone programmed in their system as a htc one v and not a evo v. So he put that in the notes so the engineers can fix that problem along with my mms problem. IM back on my old lg slider and getting mms watching youtube, etc no problem!

Upvote 0
Called vm again today. For some reason they cant figure out why my phone is in their system as a htc one v. I really don't even know what they did but were unable to get anywhere again, they said in one of their systems my phone comes up as a one v but in another system it is a evo v..So of course escalated again and call back in 48 hours..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones