• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help having sd card issues with sandisk "ultra"

Hello, I recently purchased a sandisk ultra 32g for my s3 but unfortunately my s3 wants to read it when it wants to :( ..I already formatted to fat32 and still no luck on getting perfect read..when it does detect the sd card I try to play a movie or video and it just freezes. .I know the sd card its not corrupted or anything it that because I swaped it over to my evo v n it plays the movies with no problems...right now I'm using the stock sd card that came with the evo v (8g) on the s3 n I have no issues with this one...is anyone here running a sandisk ultra micro sd with no issues?

In my experience it is class 10 cards that don't play nice with the S3. I could be wrong but that is the common denominator in all of the issues reported with sdcards. Class 2-6 seem to work the best. I have a class 4 performing beautifully. Ironically two different class 10 cards tested slower read and write speeds in my S3 than my class 4 card. Of course the lower class cards have a higher random read speed while the class 10 shines in large file transfers.

So my tip is to try a lower class card.

Moved to the general S3 forum as this is not a root issue :)

Upvote 0
It is my assumption and I repeat assumption that Sandisk unfairly accepted the blame for this issue. Issues have been reported for various cards even PNY and Kingston. Samsung has failed to acknowledge that the only common denominator with all of the failing cards is their class which is class 10.

Some may debate me on this but I strongly feel that all android phones perform much better with a class 4-6 card. The only advantage to a class 10 is when transferring large amounts of data at once. But most users just use an sd card for random reads and writes which are very slow on a class 10. The higher class results in error rates when writing to the sd card because of this. The average user will achieve faster performance on a card class lower than 10.

I would be willing to bet money that if they ever make a 64GB sd card in anything lower than a class 10, the issue would disappear ;) Regardless of exFat or FAT32 format.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Sandisk had a bad batch of 32 and 64gb ultra cards out for a while from what i read. and through my personal experience with the 64gb ultra in my tab 2 (which doesnt work btw, max is 32gb) you need to format your card with a pc first using exfat, then format again with the device before you load your media. Thr 64gb ultra which was intended for my tab2 works fine in my s3 having followed the above procedure which was instructed by the sandisk customer/tech advisor.

Upvote 0
Sandisk had a bad batch of 32 and 64gb ultra cards out for a while from what i read. and through my personal experience with the 64gb ultra in my tab 2 (which doesnt work btw, max is 32gb) you need to format your card with a pc first using exfat, then format again with the device before you load your media. Thr 64gb ultra which was intended for my tab2 works fine in my s3 having followed the above procedure which was instructed by the sandisk customer/tech advisor.

My SanDisk 32Gb Ultra was initially formatted in my laptop, then when it crapped out on me, I formatted it with the Galaxy Pad 2 7.0... still gives me grief.

Upvote 0
I ran a Class 10 32 gig Lexar in my HTC EVO 4G since late 2010 (maybe early 2011). In January of 2013, that same card migrated to my HTC EVO V 4G, and in late June of 2013, that same card moved on to my Samsung Galaxy S3. I've not had a single problem with this particular Class 10 card in 100% of the phones I've put it in.

I also bought a Class 10 UHS-1 64gig Sandisk, and it's currently in my Galaxy S3. I have yet to experience any problems with it, but time will tell. What sort of problems are people having? Is this something I have to look forward to :thinking: :( Is it intermittent, or conistent? If no problems have surfaced yet for me, can I expect them to in the future?

Upvote 0
I found some information which specifically implicated Sandisk Ultra cards made prior to 2013. How can one tell if he has a post 2012 Ultra Card? Mine was from RadioShack, and bought it a few days ago. I am a bit apprehensive though as they sell them for $130 (ugh). I can't imagine they sell very well at that price.

I only bought it from them because it was on sale for $65, and I had a giftcard and $10 coupon to use...

So what's my chances of getting a more recent card from RadioShack? BTW, my packaging had the green Android on the front of it...I'll be looking into this when I get home.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones