1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Having Sketchbook and Gallery open at the same time

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by thespirals, Dec 16, 2013.

1. thespirals

thespirals Lurker

Hi,
    I just got a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 version.
    I mostly got it to use as a mobile digital sketching tablet. I was really hoping for a multi-window option and was ecstatic to find out that this is one of the features..... but then was disappointed to find out after I bought it that Sketchbook Pro doesn't support multi-window! I was really hoping to be able to have Sketchbook and Gallery open at the same time so I could sketch from a photo reference.

I did find out about an app that will let you use multi-window for any app, but it requires root. I've never rooted anything before and I'm pretty novice to tablets/smartphones so I'm a bit cautious to root it so soon.

I also heard that Gallery has the option to resize, move and pin on top or to the side of another app. Is this true? Can I have Sketchbook open, and have a resized Gallery open at the same time and pinned on top so I could still sketch and see the photo? If this is the case then I won't have to root the device.

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Android Expert

Samsung now calls it Pen Window and replaced the cascade window view that was on the original Note 10.1. It is strictly a more organized split window view that doesn't allow floating windows.

You need to open air command and select Pen Window icon. But I only have the original Note 10.1 which did allow resizing of the window as well as pinning. Not sure if it's now possible with the 2014 edition.

Probably have better help if posted in the Note 10.1 2014 forums.

3. thespirals

thespirals Lurker

Damn, Pen Window would have been a perfect alternative, but the apps for pen window are even more limited, and honestly i don't know why they chose those apps, they seem to be the most useless of any apps I could think of for that utility. Most of them require internet, and I want to be able to use apps when I'm not in wifi range.

I found a list of non pre-installed multi-window compatible apps that don't require rooting, but is there a list of non pre-installed pen window apps or is it just those 7? If there was a photo viewer that is all I would want.

4. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

The only way you could open up more apps to multi window are rooting the device.

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Android Expert

I've found an app called Floating Apps. I don't know, but I bought it for $0.99 since it was on sale. It works with my stock unrooted Note 2 updated to 4.3. Able to use the floating image viewer on top of Sketchbook.

The one I linked to is the free version.

El Presidente, ocnbrze and thespirals like this.
  6. thespirals

thespirals Lurker

Awesome, thank you so much!