1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Having some issues with my apps after rooting.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tye, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Tye

Tye Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2009
    South East England
    Hi all. First off, let me explain that this is solely down to my user error and should not put anyone else off rooting. I also apologize for the long post but I feel that it is best to explain everything properly.

Basically I bit the bullet and rooted, partitioned my SD card and then flashed the LeeDroid ROM. The user error part came when I copied all of my SD card contents onto my MAC, wiped and partitioned the SD card and then copied everything back onto the phone before backing up my applications with Titanium Backup. This caused all manner of problems with applications no longer working at all before the flash.

After flashing the ROM, it started up fine and I continued to sign in to all my accounts (Not knowing that this was not necessary as Titanium does all of this when you restore), once on the homescreen I restored using Titanium but because I could not find a guide to do this I was unsure whether to overwrite applications such as Market and Gmail, I decided to overwrite them anyway.

When I launched the market it appeared that all of my applications where still in My apps and that they were now fully functioning like before I started the root procedure, however after a few minutes they all disappeared from My apps apart from the paid applications but all of the free applications were still working on my phone. I basically then went through the process of re-downloading every application which just created a new link in My apps.

The problem now is that when trying to use the Website version of the Market it says that I am unable to install to my phone because I have not opened the Market recently and also my Gmail is no longer automatically syncing like it did before.

To anyone that has read this, I thank you :) and if you have any advice then it'd be much appreciated.

Advertisement

2. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Android Expert

Oct 8, 2010
    Male
    Hypnotherapist
    Puerto Pollo
    So are you now signed in to gmail or the market? Goto settings, accounts and sync and check all the relevant stuff. Try signing out and then back in again.

You could also then try redowloading all your apps from the market, and not the data, and then apply the data from titanium later.

3. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Download mybackup (or something) to back up your SMS if you need. Take a titanium backup of user apps and data

Boot recovery and wipe everything. Reflash the rom and boot back up. Do a titanium restore of missing apps with data (Only) then restore your data.

You'll have to set everything up like ringtones etc, but its the most surefire way of getting as much back as possible with no problems.

4. Tye

Tye Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2009
    South East England
    Hi InfernalByte, for some reason the "Auto Sync" function was unticked, that is now ticked and more than likely will sort that issue. Thank you.

Hi SUroot. Just to be 100%, in Titanium backup I go into "Batch" and run "Backup all user apps + system data" and then once wiped and reflashed I go back into "Batch" and run "Restore missing apps with data"? Then once in there I leave it as "App+Data"?

Thank you both for your help.

5. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    I meant "Backup all user apps" then "restore missing apps with data"

It wont hurt to backup system data but dont restore it. Sometimes its best to start as fresh as possible.

6. Tye

Tye Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2009
    South East England
    Ok I will give that a go and report back on my findings.

InfernalByte, I can confirm that my Gmail is working correctly again.

7. Tye

Tye Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2009
    South East England
    It would appear that the website for the Market has been updated, the layout after clicking Install has changed. It is now talking to my phone and everything seems to be in working order again.

I will however note the advice you have given me for the next time I flash a ROM.
    Thanks again guys.

Tags: