• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Having to re-root after OTA update?

Hi, I recently updated to android 4.2.2 on my nexus 7 and only just realised I have lost root ability. I've read that this is from installing the OTA update and has removed it as I'm not using a custom rom. What process do I actually have to go through to re-root again, is it the whole process? I seem to have forgot how I even rooted to begin with it was so long ago! Also is there a way that I can update in the future without losing root or is that impossible? Thanks.

Edit: Sorry as pointed out I meant 4.4.2!

Wasnt it 4.4.2 mate?
Tbh i dont know if an ota locks the bootloader. When its booting does it still have the unlocked padlock symbol?
If so you dont have to unlock it (which wipes the tablet), just root and install custom recovery. I used Wugs Toolkit.
In future just flash a rooted version of the update :thumbup:

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
Wasnt it 4.4.2 mate?
Tbh i dont know if an ota locks the bootloader. When its booting does it still have the unlocked padlock symbol?
If so you dont have to unlock it (which wipes the tablet), just root and install custom recovery. I used Wugs Toolkit.
In future just flash a rooted version of the update :thumbup:

Updated the post, I did mean 4.4.2 sorry! That's what I was really wondering about the bootloader but I do still have the padlock when booting so is that a safe indication that I only need to do the unlock process using Wugs Toolkit? I completely forgot I had it rooted tbh, so just went a head and installed the update when prompted, will remember not to do that again!

Upvote 0
When you originally rooted, you would have had to unlock your bootloader. It should still be unlocked, unless you specifically went back and relocked it.

If you want to be sure, you can turn the N7 off and then back on again, while holding the volume down button... you will get in to bootloader mode, where it will say if it is locked/unlocked :)

Whether you are locked/unlocked will have an effect on how to root. You can use Wugs kit (which is really easy to use) or you can do it manually (which is only slightly more difficult).

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Updated the post, I did mean 4.4.2 sorry! That's what I was really wondering about the bootloader but I do still have the padlock when booting so is that a safe indication that I only need to do the unlock process using Wugs Toolkit? I completely forgot I had it rooted tbh, so just went a head and installed the update when prompted, will remember not to do that again!

Dont do the unlock. Just root and install recovery if you need it.
Cheers durex :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones