1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Having to type in password after 24h of inactivity

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by anothergol, Mar 16, 2016.

1. anothergol

anothergol Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2016
    Hi,

I've setup my S7 to be unlocked by fingerprints, and not to require it when it's geocalized at home.
    However, after a day of not using it (I'm certainly not a frequent user), it's asking for my password. I can't find where to disable this, any idea?
    I don't even understand the point of this, security-wise. If I lost my phone, why would that make a difference?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    I don't believe it should be doing this without a restart. The next time it requests a password, check how long the phone has been on since the last restart.
    Samsung believes, that the password has greater security than the fingerprint, hence this feature.

3. anothergol

anothergol Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2016
    Well it's the phone saying something (in French) like "Because it has been unused for more than 24h, you must unlock it using the password/swipe rather than fingerprints".
    Do you mean it asks this -once- after a restart, & not anymore?

But if the fingerprints are less secure, I don't see why 24h would make a difference.

Weirdly, I found a thread talking about this. And apparently Google says 48 hours, not 24. And even more weirdly, someone copied/pasted the bit of the code that defines the (
    FINGERPRINT_UNLOCK_TIMEOUT_MS)
    constant, it's set to 72h of inactivity.

And according to this:
    "Sometimes you might need to use your backup PIN, pattern or password (blah blah blah) after more than 48h have passed since you last unlocked using your backup method"

So the finger print is a "backup method"? mmh. And for the phone I got, it's mysteriously 24h, not 48h, but there is no setting for this, and in the OS's code, it's a 72h constant?

4. CuBz

CuBz Android Expert
    None

Sep 21, 2010
    Website Programmer
    UK
    This is a setting implemented by Google to make sure you don't forget your pin.

5. KupKrazy

KupKrazy Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    Male
    The Big Apple
    I believe this is done for security reasons when a phone is left unattended to for 24+ hrs. Fingerprints are thought of as not as secure as passwords, so it'll ask for your password.

Hate to use the comparison, but it's the same in the iPhone. You must enter in your password after 24 hrs of non usage.

6. tarponbeach

tarponbeach Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 3, 2009
    Mine does it as well.

7. mrmadcat

mrmadcat Lurker
    None

Dec 3, 2011
    Male
    Manchester, UK
    i honestly cant believe people dont unlock their phones for >24hrs! *shivers at the thought* :p

KOLIO likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.