• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Having trouble connecting Fascinate to laptop - maybe a card issue?

EdNerd

Feb 2, 2011
I'm having trouble connecting my Fascinate to my laptop for the first time. I've spent about three hours scouring the 'net and the forums here to no avail. Here's my particulars:

-- New-to-me Fascinate (actually a used certified phone)
-- I have not searched for updates to the phone. (I did find where to read the info about my version and such, but have no clue what I'm looking at or looking for.)
-- Laptop is an older Dell D600 with XP Pro SP3. I do have Comodo firewall, Avira anitvirus, and Spyware Terminator, but nothing shows it's blocking the phone.
-- I found a post here with a link to the Fascinate drivers on the Samsung web site. I downloaded and installed those. (I also found other web pages with links to drivers: http://junefabrics.com/android/driver.php and 2shared - download SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_x86.exe - I downloaded the files but have not installed.)

When I connected the phone, I first got the debugging mode warning; I tuned debugging off. I also went into USB and said to mount the drive.

Watching in MyComputer, the E: drive flashes in and out several times: it's a CD drive, then a Verizon drive, and finally settles down as a Removable Disk. But when I try to open it, it says "Please insert a disk into Drive E"!

Also, my USB popped up a warning that "This device will work much faster in a USB 2.0 port." I've only got two ports, and I do have USB 2.0.

Checking the card info in the phone, it tells me:
-- Total space: unavailable
-- Available space: unavailable
I know the SD card is in there: I popped it out and pushed it back in. But selecting either Unmount or Format SD card gives no response. I have an USB card reader that I'll try a bit later to make sure the card is good.

In the meantime, if I assume the card is good, which way do I go from here?

Ed

Okay - the card is good. I've got it open using my USB reader and I see four folders: Android, DCIM, Sudoku, and LOST.DIR.

Update:
Reinstalled the card, let the phone recognize it, and it showed me 14.68g available. Plugged the phone in, selected the USB and Mount, and it's in! I can open the card and move files.

Reminds me of when I was a Sears repair man. Seems like just threatening to bring in the tech made things work better!

Ed

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones