• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Having trouble finding unlocked Pixel US version

schwim

Dec 14, 2010
Hello there!

We live in an area with terrible reception for all carriers and will likely be moving from our current(Google Fi) back to Verizon, with which we had the best luck with. That being said, the chance is fairly strong that we'll move from VZW at some point so I'm looking for either the pixel 4a 5g or 5a 5g in the US version so that it's capable of all carriers, 5g included. The problem I'm running into is that all sellers seem to be selling the international version, which means we wouldn't have 5g on vzw.

We're also looking to buy from Amazon, b&h, etc and not the Google store.

Could someone suggest a 5g capable phone for under $600 that will work on all carriers? Even if it's not a Pixel, we just need something that won't saddle us to a particular carrier.

Thanks for your time!

Thing with Amazon from what I've read, I believe the main problem with third-party vendors they might selling grey imports from Hong Kong, etc., which might not be compatible with US carriers, like Verizon.

Does LG, Motorola, Samsung, or Sony sell unlocked phones directly in the US, that are compatible with all carriers there?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Thing with Amazon from what I've read, I believe the main problem with third-party vendors they might selling grey imports from Hong Kong, etc., which might not be compatible with US carriers, like Verizon.

Does LG, Motorola, Samsung, or Sony sell unlocked phones directly in the US, that are compatible with all carriers there?

That seems to be what's happening. They're very hush hush on the models they're selling and you only find out about the intl model being sold when you get to the reviews/Q&A.

I hate to say it, but I would check Wal-Mart first.
My unlocked phone is from there, and I love it- and could not beat the price.

I did check out their aisle a couple weeks ago but didn't see a model phone that was VZW and everyone else.

Upvote 0
Verizon unlocks their phones 60 days after purchase. As long as you'll be with them for at least 2 months, the phone will already be unlocked when you leave. So you could just buy a Verizon model

We can't risk being locked into a contract with them, which they do even if we purchase the phones outright from them. At least that's what the rep said in the local VZW office. We're looking to BYOB so we can leave them if the experience isn't as good as we hoped.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones